hello from rebecca near boston

Glad you're here, Rebecca!! Good to see you preserving & using that bit of family history...it's gotta sound nice. My trusty crystal ball sees a turntable in your future.....

Right now I'm using a Sony ps-4300 turntable...and a Sony CD player from 1992 that skips if you look at it cross-eyed :rockon:

The turntable seems solid enough but if I'm going to buy anything in the near future it would probably be a new turntable. Find it difficult to get too excited about CD players...

Last edited:
Welcome to AK!

Maybe you could try some sunglasses so the CD player can't see your eyes.

Hi.

I'm one of those folks who initially joined to ask an annoying question but I've been lurking because this seems like a friendly place. I recently put together my first "real" stereo on a very tight budget. I had my mom's old low-powered Marantz receiver to work with and picked up a pair of New Large Advents that had been re-foamed/re-capped etc. - probably not an ideal pairing, but it's working just fine for me in my teeny little bedroom. Already have an eye on my friend's Mcintosh 1700, though...

I was fortunate enough to hook up with someone who knows what he's doing re: repairing the Marantz - which activity I enjoyed so much that it probably won't be the last time I happily spend an afternoon inhaling resin vapors/burning my hands.

I'm a girl. I figure this is worth pointing out because women seem to be in the minority in the world of vintage audio enthusiasts.

Has anyone in the Boston area been to the MIT flea market? Always wanted to go but haven't had the chance...

Cheers for now...

Welcome! That's a nice setup for your teeny little bedroom. That's a nice setup for any room!

There are a lot of great people on AK, and in New England, as you've already learned.

bs

Welcome! I wish I could inherit a cool old stereo like that but the only thing my mom had was an old ss Zenith console. I may end up getting it anyway since it is sentimental to me. I do have a couple old John Deere tractors and old old Model T Ford my grandpa left me to fart around with though. :)

Yes it is! Not my pet...although aren't octopuses and cuttlefish meant to be about as smart as a cat?

Welcome aboard! :thmbsp:

You have a nice gear combination there, one that many other AKers have had (or have) and like. :music:

And yes, octopi are quite intelligent. They actually have some problem-solving and tool-using intelligence, and are probably a bit smarter than even cats. It took a long time and some clever experiments for people to discover this, because an octopus is so different from us that we lack all the usual clues such as facial expressions and sounds, but the evidence is quite compelling: it's a clever creature! Probably a by-product of the kind of nervous system needed to control that many flexible arms, plus to stay alive as a tasty but somewhat slow treat in an ocean full of predators.

MIT Swapmeet....Mmmmmmm... (Insert best Homer Simpson glassy-eyed "Donut" stare 'n' Drool here) Allsorts of goodies for the budding Mad Scientist...Nice t'have ya, Hon ! Welcome !!

Welcome, Rebecca! A girl who likes to solder! I work with one of those. You are a rare and cherished (by male techs) breed.
Start a thread on your CD player and we'll help you fix it. Skipping is usually easy to sort out.

I think my first order of business before the CD player will be to figure out where the loud POP came from last night...I opened up the receiver and nothing appeared to be visibly unhappy. It kept on playing afterwards. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Check the tops of all the electrolytic caps in the power supply. If it was a loud bang, like a hand clap, it should be a fairly large cap, like finger thickness. Usually they leave a mess around like some brown fibers.

Checked all of the caps and they all seem to be fine. We had just replaced the 2 largest ones in the power supply and ran several smaller ones through an ESR meter, which indicated that they were performing as they should be. I could take a picture of the power supply and maybe you'll see something I can't? It was indeed about as loud as a handclap.

We replaced the original caps with ones rated for a higher voltage although I'm unsure of the difference between them.

Last edited:
Checked all of the caps and they all seem to be fine. We had just replaced the 2 largest ones in the power supply and ran several smaller ones through an ESR meter, which indicated that they were performing as they should be. I could take a picture of the power supply and maybe you'll see something I can't? It was indeed about as loud as a handclap.

We replaced the original caps with ones rated for a higher voltage although I'm unsure of the difference between them.

A picture would be good. Also make sure the ones you replaced are in the correct polarity. If they are put in backwards they usually explode.

So Rebecca.............how you doin? :D

Welcome to AK. Ladies welcomed and respected her, for my part, as are all.

Nice vintage system, hope you find the problem.

AK member The Delihaus is in your area and may have been to the event you mentioned. He is a great member and very helpful!

Hope to see you around the posts!

Welcome aboard! :thmbsp:

You have a nice gear combination there, one that many other AKers have had (or have) and like. :music:

And yes, octopi are quite intelligent. They actually have some problem-solving and tool-using intelligence, and are probably a bit smarter than even cats. It took a long time and some clever experiments for people to discover this, because an octopus is so different from us that we lack all the usual clues such as facial expressions and sounds, but the evidence is quite compelling: it's a clever creature! Probably a by-product of the kind of nervous system needed to control that many flexible arms, plus to stay alive as a tasty but somewhat slow treat in an ocean full of predators.

Slight hijack, but when I was kid, we went to the old oceanographic museum on the coast, and there was a small octopus in an open tank that had figured out that it could pinch off the air tube, let the air pressure build up, then release the air in huge bubbles that could splash you if you weren't careful.

welcome to AK,Rebecca.

Sony cd players are notorious for skipping. try some vibrapods or hockey pucks(best to use Maple Leaf stamped pucks,cause theyll fit near the bottom)

Either placed under the CDPs feet may help with skipping.

Best

A

Back
Top Bottom