Hello from Show Low

shaggybark

Long time lurker & I finally ponied up the $25. Seems like the least I could do for the amount of knowledge that I've gained here.

What's a "Show Low"? Small town in the mountains of Arizona with the motto "Named by the turn of a card." Our little town was literally won (or lost) in a poker game. With a population of only about 10K, there isn't much in the way of local equipment swapping, but I keep hoping to find that perfect estate sale vintage tube deal. If you are picturing the Arizona desert, think again. Show Low is about 6500 ft elevation and part of the largest Ponderosa pine forest in the world. We actually have all four seasons, including a snow skiing season. It's a great place to live, if you can afford to make way less than big city money.

My gear so far is:
M&K Satilite 2 (the oldies with the walnut enclosures)
M&K Volkswoofer (oldie enclosure, but I found a NOS speaker & now it is rock'in)
NAD Preamp (not sure on model)
NAD Tuner
Onkyo amp​
That amp is OK, but I would really like to get into a decent valve amp. I'm on the lookout for a Fisher 400/ 500/ 800. I'm fairly electrically literate and can do most soldering/ assembly tasks. Ebay has a few items that might be interesting, but it seems like a crap shoot. Hard to believe all those guys that say "Never powered up - untested. No refunds." Makes me wonder if they didn't pass the spark test & they are unloading it.

Thanks to all for making this a great site, with a minimum of Internet BS.
Shaggybark

Long time lurker & I finally ponied up the $25. Seems like the least I could do for the amount of knowledge that I've gained here.

What's a "Show Low"? Small town in the mountains of Arizona with the motto "Named by the turn of a card." Our little town was literally won (or lost) in a poker game. With a population of only about 10K, there isn't much in the way of local equipment swapping, but I keep hoping to find that perfect estate sale vintage tube deal. If you are picturing the Arizona desert, think again. Show Low is about 6500 ft elevation and part of the largest Ponderosa pine forest in the world. We actually have all four seasons, including a snow skiing season. It's a great place to live, if you can afford to make way less than big city money.

My gear so far is:
M&K Satilite 2 (the oldies with the walnut enclosures)
M&K Volkswoofer (oldie enclosure, but I found a NOS speaker & now it is rock'in)
NAD Preamp (not sure on model)
NAD Tuner
Onkyo amp​
That amp is OK, but I would really like to get into a decent valve amp. I'm on the lookout for a Fisher 400/ 500/ 800. I'm fairly electrically literate and can do most soldering/ assembly tasks. Ebay has a few items that might be interesting, but it seems like a crap shoot. Hard to believe all those guys that say "Never powered up - untested. No refunds." Makes me wonder if they didn't pass the spark test & they are unloading it.

Thanks to all for making this a great site, with a minimum of Internet BS.
Shaggybark
Greetings from a valley dweller! Don't know how long you've been there, but a very long time ago a couple of the bands that I've worked with played up there. One place was Bill's Bar and the other one was Bronco Billy's.
Those were wild and crazy days for sure. Welcome to AK!! Lots of great people and info here!

Welcome. Be patient.

Four years ago I thought I'd never be able to afford tube, er, valve, gear or find a deal. I'm listening at the moment to the Dynaco ST-70 that I picked up for $50 with the preamp (which I still need to restore). I love most my Fisher 400, but it went up in smoke and I'm working on it. It was for sale for $425, but I traded for part of the price. I've also got various other tube pieces I picked up for low cost -- or free -- but haven't got to yet.

It will come, keep looking.

And props for making first post as subscriber. That karma will bring you tubes soon.

Back
Top Bottom