Hello from St Petersburg (FL)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MCdeltaT, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MCdeltaT

MCdeltaT New Member

Hi All. First post and look to be on here often. I'm a long time vinyl collector, DJ/produce for fun, and love music and vintage electronics.

For years, I've used this site for advice and found the best information/recommendations here...as opposed to other websites.

I just bought my first home (moved from California last year) and with it bought a pair of B&W speakers (683s). Soon after a friend came over with a Shure v15 type IV and my speakers sounded brilliant. I own the Shure M97xe and I will be selling it soon, as it doesn't work for me. It put a smile on my face which I couldn't whip off. I was hooked. Now I'm looking to further learn and optimize as I know there is still lots to improve on.

I have a Shure V15 iV coming soon. I also own the M44-7 (dj cart), which is colorful and definitely has its place. I also own a Grado F3+ cart which came from salvation army and will be using a multimeter to see if it works.

My phono stage is a Rane 56s and I have a forgettable (Denon 1300W) amp. I'm looking to improve both and will be looking to learn how to most efficiently get great sound. I have 2 refurbished technics 1200s (1 used for listening sessions) and a Pioneer PL-510a. That's it for hi-fi (ish) gear. I also bought a cheap phono stage built with the A310 board off-ebay ($20). It's semi-adjustable and it's been fun playing with it and learning...but the pre-amp in my Rane mixer is significantly better.

I hope to be apart of this community!

Mike

2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Welcome to AK Mike!

3. RDecartridge

RDecartridge "I hear, therefore I am" Subscriber

welcome from largo

4. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome

5. Marine0811

Marine0811 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

6. cnyel1967

cnyel1967 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

7. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Greetings to ya!

Rome

8. electronjohn

electronjohn Plug it in & see!! Subscriber

9. meggy

meggy AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK.

10. MCdeltaT

MCdeltaT New Member

Hi there. So what local vinyl and audio spots are in the Pinellas area. I've found DunedIn Records (Frank is awesome), Bananas, and Sound Exchange but would take any recommendations you may have.

11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

12. MCdeltaT

MCdeltaT New Member

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

13. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Hello and Welcome from Europe! :)

14. MCD275

MCD275 Active Member

Welcome to AK!

15. reardonp6

reardonp6 Hot Ruddered Bum Subscriber

Welcome from Leesburg,Fl. This is a great place to learn. Enjoy!

Receivers/Amps; Dynaco,ST-70,Marantz 4270,2245,2220,Sansui G8700-DB, 5000X,Onkyo A-10,Sony STR-GX10
    Speakers: DynacoA25,Ar-4,AR-2A,Ba-70,BA-150,Advent AOL,Klipsch KG4,KLH-6,KLH-17,JBL C-38 Pioneer CS-63DX,Fisher 105,EPI-10
    Tape: Pioneer RT-707, Sony TC-K7030, Turntables: JVC QL-A7,JVC-F31, Dual 1219,Elac 10,Pioneer PL-400,pl-45D,Kenwood KD3070,Denon DP-23F

16. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Welcome to the AK realm.

Man, with your background (already) having bitten by the Vint Bug, which motivates ya...you are going to be a complete fit in this site, man!

Looking forward for your shares.

Q

17. MCdeltaT

MCdeltaT New Member

Thanks Quadman. Since I started the thread, I got my Shure V15 iV paired with a new VN45VL (vivid lines HE stylus from LPgear) and wow. I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face and have been playing my records over again and hearing clarity and detail I never before heard!! When collecting vinyl, I always tried to buy the best quality pressings I could afford / get my hands on...and I think that effort is now going to pay off. I started considering the Jico neo SAS for my M97xe...though not sure if it's worth doing since I got the V15 all pimped out already...lol. I was going to sell the M97xe, but I'll hold onto it and maybe break it out in the future.

I'm looking for a budget ($200-$350) MM phono stage so I can get my DJ mixer out of the sound path. I except another significant bump from that.

McDeltaT

18. turnitdown

turnitdown Not well known Subscriber

Hello from up the road...a ways.

19. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

Welcome aboard from up'ere in New Scotland...

20. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member