Hello from SW Chicagoland

KankRat

Howdy. I stumbled on this awesome forum looking for help with my new old turntable.
52, male Southweast burbs. Born and raised in Chicago and near burbs.
Other interests:
I have too many interests and hobbies. Photography, cycling, running, fishing (especially bass fishing and fly fishing), kayaking- general outdoors stuff. I have 2 boys we like fishing together a lot, just getting into camping.
Music:
My earliest memory of musical interest was destroying my older brothers Grassroots record on his Garrard table. We used to watch Hee-Haw on TV and I was really into Buck Owens when I was little mainly because I thought his red white and blue guitar looked so cool. Then I got into Johnny Cash, probably because he also had a cool image.
Somewhere down the line I started liking Elton John, we are talking mid 70's here and shortly after Kiss.
A guy older than me turned me on to Deep Purple and I think that really got me interested in music. I played "Made in Japan" to death. I got into a few other bands pretty heavy too. Blue Oyster Cult and Be Bop Deluxe were two favorites and I also like a lot of bands along those lines. Rainbow, UFO, Black Sabbath, Rush etc. Most of the dudes I hung out with were all into music.
Stevie Ray Vaughan rearranged my musical world. When me and my click saw him live (around 1985), he blew our minds and it turned us on to all kinds of blues and it also led into jazz. One of us got Joe Jackson's Jumpin Jive and that was another influential moment. I saw a lot of great blues acts around Chicago. Albert King, Lonnie Brooks, Albertt Collins etc.
About the same time I really started digging prog rock. Yes, ELP and King Crimson and especially the late great Frank Zappa. That led to discovering- Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck and Steve Morse.
If you pinned me down to who my favorite musician is, I would probably say Joe Satriani. I buy anything he does without even a revue. Somewhere in this mish-mosh of music tastes I need to include a splash of country guitar playing along the lines of Redd Volkaert. and going full circle... Buck Owens and the Buckaroos and Roy Clark.
Lately getting into some old Santana, Stones and John Coltrane.
Gear.
My audio gear is Adcom amp preamp/tuner, Rotel CD player, Spica speakers and I just got an AR turntable. I currently need a better room to listen, more than any new gear.

Last edited:
Welcome on board the AK.

Great intro by the way!:thumbsup:

You've evoluted in the right way, eh? VINT ! And getting the young un's board as well. Will pay off in spades....your musical influence that is.

Keep us updated on your eclectic tastes, finds, POV's etc.

Q

Welcome fellow Chicagolander! Sound like you got a nice setup and some great tunes to listen to!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you've explored a lot of different music. As far as I'm concerned that's just as important as exploring audio gear. Otherwise, what's the gear for?

Back
Top Bottom