Hello Klipsch fans,just scored a set of K-horns tell me what you think.

y2keglide

I've wanted a set of these for a long time and now that the kids are grown and other priorities taken care of I've been looking for an affordable deal.
A few weeks ago I bought a set of Speakerlab K-horn clones figuring I probably wouldn't find a deal I could afford for a set of genuine Klipschorns, I gave $700 for the Speakerlabs and now will be putting them back on the market.
It never fails, I haven't seen a set of real Klipschorns for less that $3000 until just the other day after buying the speakerlabs and I've been looking at them for years but there they were asking just $1500 and looking very clean although noted to have one bad tweeter diaphragm. After some negotiation I was able to seal a deal for $1200 and I pick them up tomorrow.
They are 1972 vintage and the ad said C-models.
From the ad.... "1972 klipsch kornerhorns, c models, k-43 woofers. one bad tweeter that needs new diaphram, otherwise great condition! "
I'm attaching pics,haven't seen them in person yet,
Well, what do you all think, fair deal?
Once I get them home I'll be looking for lots more info on upgrades and how to's as I'm far from being a tech.
I've read some about crossover upgrades and am looking at a pair of new tweeters from Crites I'll probably buy.
All comments appreciated and any upgrade or resto info gladly accepted.

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:
I think it might be laminate like formica but I have not seen them in person yet..

Understood...... BTW that tweeter issue is no big deal. And that's assuming it actually needs a diaphragm. When I got my Klipschorns one of my tweeters didn't work, and it was due to a bad capacitor in the crossover.

$1200 is a nice price.

Understood...... BTW that tweeter issue is no big deal. And that's assuming it actually needs a diaphragm. When I got my Klipschorns one of my tweeters didn't work, and it was due to a bad capacitor in the crossover.

$1200 is a nice price.
Cool thanks!

Those Speakerlab's are nothing to shake a stick at either. How do you like them? I has S6WA's and S7's back in the day. Wish I would have never sold them.
Well they can rock the house for sure! Maybe a little harsh at higher volumes but overall pretty kick ass for the $700 I paid for them.
I bought them form the original owner/builder who had them since 1985.
Hooked up to my Kenwood Eleven G and a CD player ( http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...e-of-a-vintage-receiver.826023/#post-11686817 ) anything above 2 on the volume knob started rattling things like pictures on the walls and flower vases. lol

Another even more simple potential solution to the bad tweeter problem could be a loose or corroded connection at the crossover terminals. I’ve seen that happen before.
macyjrm is right on about the contacts, I would add however that you should clean all of your screw contacts, they may look shiny but they are old and they are going to be corroded. Remember that nickle plate oxide is black and it is very hard to see as it is just a thin layer on a very light reflective surface. So clean all the contact points for better sound.

Last edited:
You got a great deal! But, that grey whatever the hell it is, is Fugly as all get out! First order of business would be to strip and refinish to match the original wood. Well, after replacing the diaphragm of course.

From the ad.... "1972 klipsch kornerhorns, c models, k-43 woofers. one bad tweeter that needs new diaphram, otherwise great condition! "

They might have "upgraded" them at one time... the Khorn came with the K33 in it, not the K43. I spoke to the factory once and they told me I could "upgrade" my LaScalas to the K43 and it would allow for more power. They didn't however, let me know that in the LaScala it might cause me to lose a bit of bottom end extension.

So if I were you... I'd buy two new K33's and sell the 43's. You might even be able to sell them for more than the 33's cost. You'd then have the correct driver in them.

You don't need something that will handle the extra power of the K43. The 33's will blow your ear drums before you blow them (presuming you are in same room).

Irrespective of that, looks like you got a nice price! Congrats to you. I can't think of anything that pressurizes a room like a pair of Khorns.

macyjrm is right on about the contacts, I would add however that you should clean all of your screw contacts, they may look shiny but they are old and they are going to be corroded. Remember that nickle plate oxide is black and it is very hard to see as it is just a thin layer on a very light reflective surface. So clean all the contact points for better sound.
Another even more simple potential solution to the bad tweeter problem could be a loose or corroded connection at the crossover terminals. I’ve seen that happen before.

Thanks guys, I will give all connections a good cleaning.

They might have "upgraded" them at one time... the Khorn came with the K33 in it, not the K43. I spoke to the factory once and they told me I could "upgrade" my LaScalas to the K43 and it would allow for more power. They didn't however, let me know that in the LaScala it might cause me to lose a bit of bottom end extension.

So if I were you... I'd buy two new K33's and sell the 43's. You might even be able to sell them for more than the 33's cost. You'd then have the correct driver in them.

You don't need something that will handle the extra power of the K43. The 33's will blow your ear drums before you blow them (presuming you are in same room).

Irrespective of that, looks like you got a nice price! Congrats to you. I can't think of anything that pressurizes a room like a pair of Khorns.
Thanks I'll consider that after I have a listen.

You got a great deal! But, that grey whatever the hell it is, is Fugly as all get out! First order of business would be to strip and refinish to match the original wood. Well, after replacing the diaphragm of course.
The guy I bought them from was the second owner, he said they were the industrial grade plain fir plywood boxes and the original owner had shag carpet glued on them. lmao! He bought the emblems the speaker cloth and side cover kits direct from Klipsch when he got them 30 years ago.
The fugly grey is p-lam (Formica) that he put on in place of the shagadoodle job and I'm with ya on that chit being butt ugly.
I plan to remove it and use a nice textured finish woodgrain p-lam instead.
That will look nice and from just a couple feet away can pass for real wood but is much more durable and it will be a hell of a lot easier than trying to veneer them after what they've already been through..

They look nice, they left the factory looking like mine without sides or grill cloth (mine are birch not fir like yours), the second owner did a nice job. They'd look great with a nice veneer on the lower cabinet. mine are still unfinished and have only been wiped down with danish oil
just noticed the model number they are L's that makes them from 1973

P7070533.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom