Hello! New Here!

BReicher

Hi Folks,

New guy here. I stumbled onto this site when I was googling a piece of vintage gear. SO glad I found this site. I'm an audio engineer (an budding voice over talent) from Los Angeles. Most of my experience is tracking live instruments - Piano, Strings... acoustic instruments, using class A gear.

I have to confess though, I never really understood the inner workings of amps or vintage Hi-Fi. So, I hope to change that by hanging around you all.

I recently inherited a Pioneer SX 1500 TD paired with Pioneer CS 99 5way speakers. My father-in-law bought the system in Korea in Jan. of 1970. I have the original manuals and receipts, believe it or not. The system sounds thick and warm! Hard to believe its solid sate! The amp is a little hi-mid hissy on one side (don't know if that can be remedied), but I just love the sound! Very analog and warm.

I'll be posting some questions about another piece of gear I just bought to add to the mix (a Sansui SE-7 10 band graphic EQ), to tune the system to the room acoustics.

Anyway! Glad I found you all!

Burleigh

Uh Oh

You are in trouble now. Your going to take on a new addiction that is insidious in nature. First, you'll want to know all about what you have. Innocuous enough but its just another gateway drug to the next level.

Then, as the addiction grows, you'll start buying vinyl.

Then as it grips you tighter you'll start cleaning vinyl (tricky isn;t it ? ) and then the equipment changes/collecting starts. You'll check this site several times a day.

Sorry bud, you are doomed....:D

Hey, welcome aboard...LOL...Enjoy ...This is a great place

You are in trouble now. Your going to take on a new addiction that is insidious in nature. First, you'll want to know all about what you have. Innocuous enough but its just another gateway drug to the next level.

Then, as the addiction grows, you'll start buying vinyl.

Then as it grips you tighter you'll start cleaning vinyl (tricky isn;t it ? ) and then the equipment changes/collecting starts. You'll check this site several times a day.

Sorry bud, you are doomed....:D

Hey, welcome aboard...LOL...Enjoy ...This is a great place

Well, if none of that happens, I want my money back. ; )

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

BR

Hi Burleigh,

If you are still following this thread, may be able to help you a little bit. I purchased my SX 1500 TD and CS 99 speakers in1970 also. I have most of my paperwork also. Does your receiver have a faint bronze tint on the metal below the dial face? Or is it black? My original unit (here in after refered to as the Vietnam unit) has the bronze highlight. I think the bronze is rare. I have a chart that decodes the serial number to find the date of manufacture. My system went through 3 teenagers and although the receiver is now in a rotation with 4 other Sx 1500 TD's the CS 99's are still going strong. My system has been played on an average of every other day. I think that's why it still works. I can try to answer any questions you may have. You have one of the "mac daddy" setups produced "back in the day ".

Five posts in a half decade is not very much... ;)

Sometimes I could post five times in a half minute if the system would be as fast as I am...;)

Back
Top Bottom