Hello to all and first project!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by D. B. Cooper, Feb 13, 2018.

1. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

In the picture you took the antenna was disconnected. A good antenna, properly connected, will make a world of difference. Try connecting an antenna and see what results you get.

Have you tried the AUX inputs? If you have a CD player or MP3 player, try connecting them to the AUX inputs. If you get good sound, that would tell you the amplifiers are good.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

OH. The Money.

3-26 db cooper.jpg

I don't know what you're talking about.

3. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

This is starting to make more sense.
    Tomorrow I'll work on this more. I'll reconnect the antenna, test the speakers and tryout that input, if I can find a set of RCA wires. And clean it. I'll look into that thread someone posted about that cleaner, too.

Maybe all is not lost after all...
    What would be a good way to find out why the turn table spins a bit too fast?

4. cdmccul

cdmccul New Member

Slap a phat track of black wax in there and give it a listen - or get yourself a non-contact tachometer and a sticker to put on the platen, and point the business end at the sticker.

5. 8xlaxx

8xlaxx Super Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to AK! Looks like a fun project.

D. B. Cooper likes this.
  6. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

The record player in your unit is capable of playing 78 rpm records. Make sure the speed selector is set to 33 for LP records or 45 for 45 rpm records. If the selector is set to 33 and you are getting a faster speed, it probably means that the speed selector mechanism needs cleaning and lubrication.

7. PRESSON100

PRESSON100 Member

Since this kind of looks cool, I would remove all the speakers and wiring, remove all the insides of the receiver chassis and build in its place modern
    circuitry while using the old face and knobs. Then buy modern speakers and install them where the old ones reside. It would still look cool and sound great.

8. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

Man. I can't even tell you how much I would like to do that. I don't know enough about electronics to re-use the faceplate though.
    That's why I was thinking of making my own faceplate out of wood or thin metal.

9. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

Let’s assume you want everything inside the console. If you redo the placement you, I think, could set in a modern AM/FM/ Bluetooth receiver and a DVD/CD player lined up horizontally, facing up.It looks like late model automobile speakers could fit, and they could sound pretty good. That is a possibility.

10. D. B. Cooper

D. B. Cooper New Member

I've found that almost all of the modern receiver faceplates are at least 16".
    I've only got 13" to work with because of the width of the console...

11. Natasha Bell

Natasha Bell Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. DB Cooper:
    I love your energy and drive in restoring old audio products. I understand that the FBI has recently stopped looking for you after your escape from that Boeing 727 airliner while in flight in 1971. I guess all that ransom money finally ran out. Restoring vintage audio equipment maybe less lucrative, but probably a much safer way turning a dime. (welcome) :D :music:

D. B. Cooper and tcdriver like this.