Hello

chiroman

New here from NC. Been on agon and audio asylum! Like the format here. I currently have a MA6850 with Klipsch La Scala (1991) Marantz cd48. I am upgrading to 2-MC275, C-2300, MT-10, Tyler Acoustics PD80, Morrow cables, Adona rack, and still not decided on cdp or mini mac w DAC? Everything is trickling in so not hooked up yet. Really looking forward to it!!! I mostly listen to Classic and Prog rock with and occasional Classical!!!
Look forward to learning more, everyone is very helpful.
THANKS

Welcome Chiroman.....what part of the Outer Banks? We have a family cottage at Kill Devil Hills on Virginia Dare Trail. I have La Scalas as well but mine are pretty modified with Altec 511 horns, 902 drivers and ALK Engineering xovers. Still sound okay:)

Welcome to AK, chiroman! :music: You're in good company here, we've a good group in NC! :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.... I am a Chiropractor and live in Kill Devil Hills.
Tarheel, how do the La Scalas sound after the modification? Did you do it yourself? Mine sound a bit harsh and the drivers sound a bit muffled.
Thanks again everyone

Small world. Love the LS now. I couldn't tolerate the harshness of the midrange horn so my friend who goes by Bluesboy on the Klipsch Forum built me a new pair using the 511 to replace the K-400. That horn rang like a bell and talk about ear fatigue. We use the opportunity to increase the cabinet to 1" mdf like in the new LS lls. I replaced the tweeter with Beymas and Al Klappenberger gave me the details on what croosover I needed. All the changes made a huge improvement and I made the top hat so that it could be separated from the bass bins and toed in more. I will post pictures if I ever learn how.
Hope to meet you at KDHs next summer.

Tarheel

I would love to see pix. Also could you send the particulars and contacts for the modifications. How hard was it to do, and what tools were needed? I am mechanically inclined but dont know much about electronics?????
Thanks

I will contact bluesboy and have him send pictures and details. He has built several pairs of LS clones, modded LS, and khorns. He is a very skilled craftsman and loves speaker builds.
The modifications to my LS were so extensive that we did a total rebuild using only the woofer from the originals.
Be aware that the quest to improve the sound never ends:music:
Send me an email address and I will have bluesboy send pictures.

Merry Christmas,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom