Help! Alps Stepped Attenuator swap?

canadapuck

Ak!-Ak!
Hi and thanks in advance for any help and advice you can share.
I have a Kenwood model 500 supreme with a problemmatic ALPS stepped attenuator stack, its a balance and volume control unit.
I have been attempting to fix it having cleaned it and checked all the connections with very limited success.
Now here is where my question comes in,
I have another ALPS balance/volume control stack out of an NEC aua-8000e integrated unit which is only a stack of 6 not the 8 that the kenny has.
Can I swap them out and simply “marry” more than one signal together to use the same “layer”?
The NEC one works fine but the machine has a few cosmetic issues. They are similiar in era and also in them both being a dual mono design although the kenwood seems a bit more complex overall.
I havent taken a photo of the NEC stack yet becuase its hidden behind a few boards but it appears to be smaller not just in number of stacks but also in the size of each seperate layer. Its a dark grey bordering on black colour but is indeed ALPS.
Hopefully this isnt too technical without any specs but I am looking more for a general idea of whether its theoretically possible. I will likely take the job to a pro once I decide if it can be done without messing with the original sound too much. Its a pretty magnificent amplifier the 500 is, the NEC is as well, just not quite as special.

Attachments

• C6FDDEDB-A37B-472F-B75A-A4369E142BC0.jpeg
    C6FDDEDB-A37B-472F-B75A-A4369E142BC0.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 26
It may be possible to swap parts around to build one good one though. You'd have to identify which segments of yours are problematic and make sure they are the same and good on the donor part though. I don't know the physical construction of this one specifically, but most of these multi-gang things are just a bunch of individual sections stacked and fastened together with a common shaft to drive them all. If you can undo the screws or whatever holds it all together they will come right apart.

something worth a mention though, pots do not like DC voltage on them. If you have a leaky cap causing voltage to be where it should not, it may explain why its giving you trouble.

Back
Top Bottom