Help! FEDEX totally detroyed my used Aperion 522d-LR speakers

ZERGDOGG

I bought these on an auction site and cant return them.they were well wrapped in tons of bubble wrap but I could hear something rattling around when I picked them up. was hoping it was just the magnet that fell off but the plastic speaker frame completely broke off Damn FEDEX must have dropped them off a bridge to damage them this much. I did a quick search on ebay but didnt see any replacement drivers for this speaker. any thoughts on a replacement for the 522D-LR 5.25" part.....IMG_0868.JPG thanks

Last edited:
I bought these on an auction site and cant return them. Damn FEDEX must have dropped them off a bridge to damage them this much. I did a quick search on ebay but didnt see any replacement drivers for this speaker. any thoughts on a replacement for the 522D-LR 5.25" part.....View attachment 1144669 thanks
Hopefully those were insured, file a claim with fed ex make sure you take pictures and state that the box was dropped off and the driver just left before you could check the contents. Sorry for your loss, good luck and keep us posted.

Audiofreak71

Ouch! Sorry to hear it.

Sell them on eBay with the standard claim, "Does not affect sound."

My impression is there was a sudden deceleration, and the frames were not able to support the "suddenly-increased weight" (I know that's not quite accurate, but whatever) of the magnets. The shipping box might not show much damage, but it was clearly dropped.

Last edited:
I bought these on an auction site and cant return them.they were well wrapped in tons of bubble wrap but I could hear something rattling around when I picked them up. was hoping it was just the magnet that fell off but the plastic speaker frame completely broke off Damn FEDEX must have dropped them off a bridge to damage them this much. I did a quick search on ebay but didnt see any replacement drivers for this speaker. any thoughts on a replacement for the 522D-LR 5.25" part.....View attachment 1144669 thanks

How much damage was there to the shipping box when you received it?

If Ebay, open a claim. If paid via Paypal, open a claim. This is the shipper and sellers fault, not yours. Last time I checked, seller needs to open a claim with FedEx.

FEDEX said to contact the original shipper I'll see what they can do on their end. I may or may not get my money back but I would like some idea how to replace the speaker with something at least as good. not sure what to look for besides the 5.25" size .is it a woofer ,full range or what.the box doesnt show much damage , a crumpled corner is all.

FEDEX said to contact the original shipper I'll see what they can do on their end. I may or may not get my money back but I would like some idea how to replace the speaker with something at least as good. not sure what to look for besides the 5.25" size .is it a woofer ,full range or what.the box doesnt show much damage , a crumpled corner is all.
Unless you got them for close to free, don't get into a squabble over them. Get the refund, send them back and go find another pair elsewhere.
I got a poorly packed damaged Yamaha receiver at one point and I am convinced it was bashed when she sent
it to me and that why she packed it badly. I got the refund

If Ebay, open a claim. If paid via Paypal, open a claim. This is the shipper and sellers fault, not yours. Last time I checked, seller needs to open a claim with FedEx.

Absolutely and ASAP!!!. Take pictures of all of the packaging inside and out and leave as is don't throw anything away.

Fedex will have to send an adjuster over to inspect and they will or should repackage and send back to seller. Don't worry about "No return" that is not applicable in this situation as for getting your money back I wouldn't worry to much it's Fedex and the seller who are going to eat the costs.

And as @hjames said "Get the refund, send them back and go find another pair elsewhere."

I had an issue several years ago where Fedex mangled a JVC QL-10 turntable I shipped, They were professional to work with and I got refunded in full.

File the claim ASAP, never saw this with the only shipper I use, and it's not fedex. Damn did the plain crash or what.

Thats very strange - so much damage to the drivers while cabinets look Ok. Almost like drivers were taken out and damaged separately. Not much damage to the box. Very odd. I'd question the seller - something just doesnt seem right there.
But whatever the case - this is why I never buy speakers if not local, unless its Amazon - no issues returning things with them.

The reason FedEx doesn't want to deal with you is that the seller paid for the insurance so THEY have to file the claim. You just tell the seller to do that and file a claim through ebay to put everyone on notice and hopefully get refunded for everything immediately.

Strange that the screw holes for the woofers don't look broken out. Were the drivers loose though when you opened them up? Maybe they just stripped out and didn't break out much wood.

It may end up that the seller and/or FedEx tells you to keep them in which case we can talk about replacement drivers. Since these have a tweeter you'd be looking for a woofer. Woofers are best if they're an exact match for the original but sometimes you can get a decent substitute.

Something does not look kosher here - for all the reasons everybody else mentioned. Just does not smell right.

File a claim YESTERDAY with ebay and PayPal.

GeeDeeEmm

It looks as it should. The woofers are much heavier and the screws probably couldn't hold when it was dropped. Looks like the holes are stripped.

If you are in a car that hits a wall while you are holding a baseball, you can probably hold on to it. If you are holding a bowling ball it is going through the windshield.

Where are the missing screws?
Were they sheared off(broke) or did they just "come loose"?

Something does seem "odd" here, especially since OP states "the box doesnt show much damage , a crumpled corner is all."

Any more I take pictures of every package I receive and each step of the internal packing.

If the box landed square on one side (the one the woofers were facing) then it could sustain a huge amount of g-force with minimal damage. If the screws are indeed missing that would be suspicious, but why would the OP dig them out of the box just to take a picture.

i am thinking the op removed the screws to take pictures of the damage after hearing rattling inside the boxes . expecting to find loose magnets only .

Back
Top Bottom