Help figuring out why this tire went flat, and potential for wheel damage

try getting a similar tire off a wreck at the junkyard. put fresh tire on if it's not new. use
this as a spare once it's been fixed.

Several used ones on eBay (no affiliation) right now for $100 shipped. No sense taking a chance with a potential bent rim. Same goes for the tire. Tires available on Tire Rack for slightly over $100.

Lee.

Air it up, lay tire/wheel down flat and dribble some water where the tire meets the wheel. Get enough water on so that it fills that recess. Look closely for bubbles. Repeat on the other side.

If it leaks, remove the tire and make sure the mating surfaces on the tire and wheel are clean. Usually, tire shops have some black goop to put on the sealing area to stop small leaks.

Murray
A little soap in the water makes this work even better. We used to use this trick to look for gas leaks in laboratory instruments (or you can buy Snoop, which is essentially the same thing).

A little soap in the water makes this work even better. We used to use this trick to look for gas leaks in laboratory instruments (or you can buy Snoop, which is essentially the same thing).
Yeah, but that's really a lot of extra trouble. :)

Another trick that I've used looking for tire leaks is just plain old Windex. Used it when I was running some black pipe for nat gas and again when installing the water heater. Water doesn't work very well because of that surface tension.

Murray

7173510655_9a8f823831_b.jpg

the tire

Update: crow eating time...

I felt certain that there was no puncture after inspecting the tire multiple times, and was suspecting the wheel that was known to have been bashed pretty hard previously. Apologies to everyone who suggested testing with soapy water. I knew this, it was the first logical step. But no.... I knew better this time, it wasn't necessary :confused: :rolleyes:

Still not 100% certain that the puncture caused the leak, it is tiny and I am not even certain that it went all the way through. See the first two pics below. In the second pic that tiny blip is what the object looks like on the inside.

Took it to two tire shops today. At the first shop, the man inspected the tire and also saw nothing. He then removed the tire from the wheel, "inspected" the wheel and pronounced it sound. At the second shop, the man inspected the already dismounted tire and found what is shown in the first two pics.

Third pic is damage to sidewall from being driven flat for 3 miles. There was about 1.5 cups of rubber dust inside the tire. It is nice when you know something for certain. The tire is trash, even I can not 2nd guess that, lol

Fourth pic is a UPC label that was not removed when the (then new) tire was mounted last fall. Probably not the source of the leak. But this seems shoddy workmanship to me as that label is right in the area of the seal.

DSC02610cr rs800.JPG DSC02632cr rs800 marked.jpg DSC02640rs800 .JPG DSC02642rs800 .JPG

the wheel

As mentioned above, took it to two tire shops. The main question I had for them was "can you inspect the wheel for damage". At both places they barely looked at the wheel and declared it to be OK. Neither put it on a spin balancer.

For my own peace of mind, I would still like to have someone at least give it a good looking over. I am wondering if I took the wheel to a collision center, and offered to pay them to check it? It seems to me that a place like that would have to check wheels for potential damage, wouldn't they? Maybe they have a method? Or perhaps a GM dealer?

First pic below is simply a better shot of the wheel. I am not seeing that waviness that seemed to be present in my pic from the original post.

Second pic is the tire pressure sending unit...in case anyone has comments or suggestions. I do intend to ask for a new valve stem. Is there anything else I need to know regarding this sensor?

DSC02622rs800 .JPG DSC02626rs800.JPG

Last edited:
the wheel

As mentioned above, took it to two tire shops. The main question I had for them was "can you inspect the wheel for damage". At both places they barely looked at the wheel and declared it to be OK. Neither put it on a spin balancer.

For my own peace of mind, I would still like to have someone at least give it a good looking over. I am wondering if I took the wheel to a collision center, and offered to pay them to check it? It seems to me that a place like that would have to check wheels for potential damage, wouldn't they? Maybe they have a method? Or perhaps a GM dealer?

First pic below is simply a better shot of the wheel. I am not seeing that waviness that seemed to be present in my pic from the original post.

Second pic is the tire pressure sending unit...in case anyone has comments or suggestions. I do intend to ask for a new valve stem. Is there anything else I need to know regarding this sensor?

View attachment 1259336 View attachment 1259337
If you are reasonably confident that it doesn't present a deflation condition, then try it.

For my own peace of mind, I would still like to have someone at least give it a good looking over. I am wondering if I took the wheel to a collision center, and offered to pay them to check it?
I don't even know if collision shops would have a way to check them--they tend to toss and replace parts. At my favorite shop, they send out tire work. If you can find a wheel repair shop in your area, you might run it past them.

Not sure how this manufacturer does it, but on my Honda sensors, I buy what is called a service kit, that includes a new washer for the valve stem and a new valve. Cost me about $12 for a set of four Denso service kits, shipped, from Rock Auto. Tire shops should be installing the service kits if they are required for the sensors used in the wheels.

So, was that actually a puncture in the tire? Was it ever repaired? I know some places still use those "plugs" to repair tires, but I learned back in the 80s that 1) plugs suck, and most will leak over time, and 2) tire warranties can be voided if plugs are used to repair tires. I have my tires patched internally if they get a repairable puncture. (Usually it's $10-$15 to get it done, or there are times Discount Tire has fixed mine for no charge...and I'm not even a customer!)

Yes, for parallel parking. Don't see them much these days.
They were quite the fad in the 50s and maybe into the early 60s. White wall tires, ya know.

Another 50s - 60s fad was dual antennas for that sporty look. Pretty nice lookin' '63 Impala, btw. 409.

Murray

201447_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

So, was that actually a puncture in the tire? Was it ever repaired? I know some places still use those "plugs" to repair tires, but I learned back in the 80s that 1) plugs suck, and most will leak over time, and 2) tire warranties can be voided if plugs are used to repair tires. I have my tires patched internally if they get a repairable puncture. (Usually it's $10-$15 to get it done, or there are times Discount Tire has fixed mine for no charge...and I'm not even a customer!)

Not 100% certain if that puncture was the cause of the air leak. I am guessing it is the most likely cause. But it is not clear, even when looking closely, that the object penetrated completely through the inner surface.

Thanks for the info on sensors. Also, good to know about plugs vs internal patches for future reference. This tire's sidewalls were ruined by being driven flat. I will be ordering a new tire from TireRack later this evening.

Edit: no, this tire was new last fall and has never been repaired

Last edited:
Today I had the wheel spun on spin balancers at two different shops. I got to watch both times, and there was a slight wobble on the back side. Front side had no issues. Both of the technicians were of the opinion that the bend was minimal and would likely not be noticeable when driving, and that the sealing surfaces were all fine.

So I am going to go with this wheel, with a new valve stem, and mount it on the right rear.

Today I had the wheel spun on spin balancers at two different shops. I got to watch both times, and there was a slight wobble on the back side. Front side had no issues. Both of the technicians were of the opinion that the bend was minimal and would likely not be noticeable when driving, and that the sealing surfaces were all fine.

So I am going to go with this wheel, with a new valve stem, and mount it on the right rear.

With the spokes are in front, the back side of the wheel bends when taking a hit, pretty common occurrence with the 18-20" aluminum wheels. We had one on our car that was egg-shaped after a pothole, measured 20.5 inches X 19.75 inches and it still held air. Had to fight with Ford quite a bit as their wheel warranty policy said "if it holds air it is just a cosmetic issue" even though it would not balance and the car shook like a dog shitting razor blades.

Generally, you can not balance a wheel with visible runout.

Back
Top Bottom