1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Help for newbie with PC2002M

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by TheSquatch, Nov 30, 2018.

1. TheSquatch

TheSquatch New Member

Hello, I just came across a PC2002M that was minutes away from being crushed to pieces. I work for a company that has a transfer station and this beauty was sitting in the pile, ready to be crushed by a bulldozer the next morning, I grabbed it, not even knowing what it was. I am a complete newb at pro audio. I love great sounding audio. I'll take hifi quality audio and a tube tv over crappy audio and 4k any day. Any way. I was wondering if any one could help me with a couple of things. First, I have this hooked up with a set of Polk RTI6 bookshelves. I had them lying around and wanted to try the amp out. I have my computer connected to the amp via my headphone jack on my computer with a rca cable converted to 1/4" and plugged in to the unbalanced sockets. It sounds good. My question is, is it ok to have this hooked up like this? Second, what is the proper settings for the attenuators on the amp and do I use those adjust volume, what should I set the computer volume to, and I am streaming audio from Deezer in Hifi(1,411kb/s)lossless according to them, and what should I set that volume to and which volume adjuster(the amp, the computer, or the streaming app) do I use to adjust the volume. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

avionic likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Nice save..Welcome to AK..

3. spark1

spark1 Super Member

There are folks here at AK with the expertise to provide the answers you are asking about proper gain structure with your set-up. Parse your questions down to just the ones about volume control (after describing your set-up, of course) and post them in the Digital Sources forum.

Generally, you do not use the power amp attenuators for volume control.

Welcome to AK.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. avionic

Set the input attenuators to the Max volume that you think you need. Then use your digital sources for volume control.

5. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

Keep an eye out for a preamp, and use that between your source and the amp to control the volume. Many receivers have Pre-amp outputs, allowing you to hook up an external amp and use the receiver as a preamp.

6. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Why would the OP need a preamp? He already has volume controls in the app and in his operating system.

7. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

I don't personally feel that software-based volume control is anywhere near reliable enough for there to be nothing else controlling the output between a computer-audio source and a dedicated power-amplifier. At a minimum, the attenuation dials on the power-amplifier would still need to be set fairly high simply to avert a disaster scenario if the computer volume accidentally gets set to 100%. I strongly prefer to leave the computer-audio source at 100% output, use as little attenuation on the power-amp as possible, and use a preamp to control the volume exclusively. Trying to cut out the preamp by using the source itself or the attenuation dials on the amp to control the volume might "work" but I don't really feel that it's an ideal nor an elegant solution.

A "preamp" doesn't have to be expensive or complicated. I set a friend up with one of these to use as a preamp with a P2250: https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUBE-01-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01HEQJGPC

I also did something similar myself years ago when I first got my Yamaha M-2 but literally had nothing to use as a preamp. I bought a small headphone amplifier that could also function as a preamp.

IMG_1219.jpg

8. spark1

spark1 Super Member

I certainly did not suggest that he use the attenuators on the power amp as volume controls.

9. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

I apologize for the confusion. It's something the OP asked about, so I wanted to include it in my post:

10. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post.

11. Chris Brown

Chris Brown Super Member

You do know that there is nothing wrong with multiple people answering the same question, right? ;)

12. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Sure. Redundancy is great.

13. avionic

I'd use a control amplifier.Why 1. -- vinyl playback. " Old school" ..2. I can.;)

amr2 likes this.
  14. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Or a phono amp with volume control. Old and new school.

15. spark1

spark1 Super Member

Done with digital controls at max output, starting with power amp attenuators at lowest output setting, increasing them to either a) as loud as he would ever want, or b) the mechanical limits of his speakers, whichever comes first...and in either case, without clipping the amp.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about how to implement your recommendation.

I usually use a preamp....primarily for volume control and source management.

16. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

Great save. great amp so enjoy. Software as preamp works but sometimes there is a mismatch with power amp input sensitivity. I also prefer preamp of some kind in between computer and power amp, old school maybe. Enjoy the music Its amazing what people discard and dump. One man's meat ...... I have picked up some good bargains from folks who don't like big speakers and amplifiers in their lounges etc.