Help for setting up my 5.1 system

winker12

I just bought a Sony UBP-X800 blu ray for the purpose of playing my downloaded sacd's and dvda's. I'm sending it into a Denon AVR 1912. Apparently, the Denon doesn't decode the Dsd over HDMI. I do have some DTS 5.1's that will work. I have a Pioneer DV-578 that I connected to an older AVR with analog cables for 5.1 and everything would work-except the sacd's. I wanted to get rid of the cables and use just HDMI. I guess I need a newer AVR. What exactly should I look for so my DVDA's will work? DTS, DTSX, DTS-HD-? I'm just a confused old man here! Plus, I don't want to spend a lot!

That Sony decodes DSD internally so I'd let that process happen inside the blu ray player. Then, send the signal out of the Sony via HDMI to a newer AVR that has HDMI capability and 5.1 channel output connections.

So, my system is set up to do what you’re trying to do. At the heart is a Sony receiver (hdmi) that decodes all of the formats. Nothing fancy really, but you’re probably over the $500 mark for something with dsd decoding and reasonable power and room eq features. Then, you can go HDMI direct from laptop running Foobar2000 or some comparable software and if you install the right driver package you’ll get bit perfect audio with low jitter etc., right to the receiver as clean as a disc player. Of course, the entry level universal disc player Sony makes (800 model, about $200) only has HDMI outs, but it plays every disc. I’m considering one now because I just landed a slightly used LG C6 OLED with 3D! I’m huge fan of passive 3DTV and this was as good as it got, so I’m now thinking I need a 4K Blu-ray player to go with.

Sorry, took me so long to write last post due to interruption from kids that I forgot you have the Sony universal player already, lol.

If I were in your shoes, I would look at models produced in 2016/2017 to get you what you need at a good price. Every AVR produced since 2016 will do as a minimum, 4K and all the lossless audio codecs currently found on Blu Rays.

I finally got some dvda's to work. Maybe1/2 of my collection. Still a lot that come up with an error. I believe I may have had a bad cable. Still can't get the sacd's to work. I probably will get an updated avr as that seems to be the answer!

I have a Denon AVR-1610 which has no problem decoding SACD or the lossless Blu Ray codecs on my Sony BDP-S480. It shows up as MultiChannel In on the Denon. I would expect an HDMI cable to work or not work at all. You might want to check the setting on the Sony and Denon.

Back
Top Bottom