Help! G-9700 Static..

ChuckAuger

I was just bragging about how the old 9700 had been jammin' for years, no problems. Now out of the blue, I have static on the left side.

It is not tied to volume or balance..just static all the time, same amplitude. Both A and B speakers are the same, but only on the left. Just sounds like white noise.

Any leads/suggestions?? I don't know of any place to fix it, this is a small town. Any help would be appreciated.

If the receiver has pre-out/main-in jacks, plug something (with a volume control..) into the main-in jacks. This will at least isolate it to the preamp or main-amp section.

Troubleshooting will require a scope and signal generator, as well as a service manual. It sorta sounds like a dry solder joint, but in reality could be about anything.

If you don't have anyone locally you trust, drop me an email or a PM. Perhaps we can get you fixed up...

EW: The G-9700...4700 Line does not have separable pre-power amp sections. That reminds me, the last time I tried my G-7700, one channel was very noisy also, before then it had always been fine. I might have the same problem as CA has with his G-9700. I hate to have any of my stuff like the G-7700 sit around inactive but its tough to use everything on a regular basis when you have a bunch of stuff in the hi fi equipment collection. Especially when there are only 24 hours in a day and approximately half of that chunk of time gets applied to going to work, being at work, and coming home from work. If only Mother Nature had made a 32 hour day (but keeping the same amount of work hours as before) :)

B/F

Thanks for the ideas...I was thinking a bad transistor or leaking cap. No way to really tell without taking it apart and doing a little poking around. It's 9 kinds of hard to just get it out of the entertainment center. It has a bulb or 2 out that I would have already fixed if not for that hurdle.

The good news is it stopped later that day, so while I know it's not going to fix itself, at least I now have some leads (thanks EchoWars!). I will be a bit more prepared when it doesn't stop.

I'm pretty sure I still have the box...I did have a move or 2 ago. I still have the boxes for the JBL L220's, so the little ol' box this thing goes in should be someplace.

I'll keep you guys in mind, I have a sneaking suspicion I haven't heard the last of this hissing :rolleyes:

Chuck,

My best guess would be a dirty or oxidized front panel control. Next time the static comes back, rotate all front panel controls back and forth a few times. The mode control and source selector switches could be common cuplrits here. See if after rotating them a few times the noise does not clear.... Let us know how it goes.

Ken

I tried that..in fact I have to do that ever so often. This is a totally different sound, no knob makes any difference. Even with the balance all the way right, it still has the same amptitude, and the amptitude never changes regardless of any knob or button position.

Back
Top Bottom