HELP! I Have No Idea Which Route To Take...

BirdLives

AKers,

Need some help here...

I am in the process of condensing two vintage systems into one.

System 1
McIntosh MA 5100 Pre-Amp/Amp
AR-XA
Nakamichi RX-202 (non-functional... needs belts, etc.)
Sony CDP CE315
KEF Q300

System 2
Pioneer SX-850
Technics SL 1700
Nakamichi BX-300
Sony UHPH-1
KEF Q700

I use a HP laptop and Amazon Fire tablet with both systems exclusively streaming Amazon Prime Music.

I would like to keep both turntables in the system but think the Q300 bookshelves would be overkill with the Q700s (its a small space). I would love to keep the McIntosh, but it doesn't have pre-in/outs and I love the SX-850. I'm also considering a DAC, but am very ignorant on how to proceed and want to keep the budget less than $200 for one (Schiit?).

Any thoughts/opinions on how to proceed? Thanks...

I had the 5100. As you know it's got a nice musical tube-like sound. I'd get it recapped, it makes a big difference. Prices keep creeping up to it is worth 1-1/2 times what I sold it for a few years back. It would be a great match with your AR X turntable. I had the ARXB which I sold back then too and its prices have also steadily raised. Your Mac and AR are nice investments and you can set it up with some Dynaco A25s in a guest room. Don't be to quick to part with those fine pieces.

Here is it with Dual 1019/ Shure m91ed and Altec Model 1 speakers. Wish I had my Fried Q/2 speakers back then. I may not have sold the system.
system straight_5325.jpg

Last edited:
The 5100 has the following inputs:

INPUTS: TAPE MON, AUX, TAPE, TUNER, PH 1, PH 2, TAPE HEAD.

So why won't this work for your system?

I like the Nak tape decks. I'd recommend the BX300 as it works and has a better transport mechanism.

Here's what I'd do:

MA5100
Both turntables
Nak BX300
KEF Q700's
As far as CD player I'd listen to both and pick one. I think they have the same DAC chip in them but am not sure. Or, run one of them if it has an optical out to the DAC, which bypasses the CD player internal DAC and lets the external DAC process the signal.

Schiit would be a good brand to look at but don't forget what digital file spec you will be using. The Schiit Modi 2 Uber ($149 retail) will handle all PCM file types (WAV, FLAC, MP3) up to 24 bit/192 kHz spec via USB, Toslink or digital coax inputs. The Modi 2 ($99 retail) will also handle up to the same spec with Windows drivers, otherwise it is limited to 24 bit / 96 kHz, which is a good format unless you want to go to 24 / 192 kHz. Also, it only has a USB input so that removes your CD player as a source into the DAC.

Does your HP laptop have a USB out? I would use that connection to the DAC. From the DAC it's analog RCA out to the pre-amp or receiver.

Just my .02 on the matter. Good luck!

I had the 5100. As you know it's got a nice musical tube-like sound. I'd get it recapped, it makes a big difference. Prices keep creeping up to it is worth 1-1/2 times what I sold it for a few years back. It would be a great match with your AR X turntable. I had the ARXB which I sold back then too and its prices have also steadily raised. Your Mac and AR are nice investments and you can set it up with some Dynaco A25s in a guest room. Don't be to quick to part with those fine pieces.

Here is it with Dual 1019/ Shure m91ed and Altec Model 1 speakers. Wish I had my Fried Q/2 speakers back then. I may not have sold the system.
View attachment 1082692

Thanks for the response; I agree the Mac and the AR turntable are great. They'll be staying...

The 5100 has the following inputs:

INPUTS: TAPE MON, AUX, TAPE, TUNER, PH 1, PH 2, TAPE HEAD.

So why won't this work for your system?

I like the Nak tape decks. I'd recommend the BX300 as it works and has a better transport mechanism.

Here's what I'd do:

MA5100
Both turntables
Nak BX300
KEF Q700's
As far as CD player I'd listen to both and pick one. I think they have the same DAC chip in them but am not sure. Or, run one of them if it has an optical out to the DAC, which bypasses the CD player internal DAC and lets the external DAC process the signal.

Schiit would be a good brand to look at but don't forget what digital file spec you will be using. The Schiit Modi 2 Uber ($149 retail) will handle all PCM file types (WAV, FLAC, MP3) up to 24 bit/192 kHz spec via USB, Toslink or digital coax inputs. The Modi 2 ($99 retail) will also handle up to the same spec with Windows drivers, otherwise it is limited to 24 bit / 96 kHz, which is a good format unless you want to go to 24 / 192 kHz. Also, it only has a USB input so that removes your CD player as a source into the DAC.

Does your HP laptop have a USB out? I would use that connection to the DAC. From the DAC it's analog RCA out to the pre-amp or receiver.

Just my .02 on the matter. Good luck!

I agree with your assessment... thanks for responding.

I have the Schiit Modi Multibit at $250. Little above your budget. I don't know what it has over the Uber. Only stand alone DAC I've used. I use USB out of PC to DAC and RCAs out of Schiit into amp. Sounds very good to me. I use for a dozen plus internet radio stations.

Back
Top Bottom