HELP! I think i blew my vitage sony stereo amplifier fh 15r

Well a refund is kinda impossible since my ebay account wws banned 2 weeks after purchase due to me using a credit card that was used on a previously banned account. Even called them, no luck. Guess ill force my self to fix it when i have time.

Are you sure about the working properly part? Ive heard that putting in a fuse that has a higher ampere rating will do damage. I dont know why they said that it didnt make sense to me either... are fuses supposed to also act as resistors? Im 99.99% sure they arent.

Putting in a fuse of higher rating, itself, will not do any damage.

But, the higher rating may facilitate more extensive damage to occur, or possibly constitute a safety/fire hazard, if a downstream failure occurs.

If my life couldnt get worse... i just found another drilled hole in the transformer. No wonder i saw a fire ball come from it. Bought new capacitors and then saw this hole... ugh. I dont understand what they were trying to accomplish by drilling these holes. Were they trying to kill me or something? Lesson learned is dont buy stuff from Columbia.

Attachments

• 20170722_081238.jpg
    20170722_081238.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 41
I can't imagine why someone would attack the innards of your amp with a drill.
You definitely need to disconnect the trafo and do some measurements before putting any more money into it. It might end up being an expensive parts donor by the looks.

Well a refund is kinda impossible since my ebay account wws banned 2 weeks after purchase due to me using a credit card that was used on a previously banned account.

If my life couldnt get worse... i just found another drilled hole in the transformer. No wonder i saw a fire ball come from it.

o_O

Forgive me, but... It kinda sounds like you guys were made for each other.

o_O

Forgive me, but... It kinda sounds like you guys were made for each other.
Yeah haha -_-

Anyway i guess ill make my own power supply for this that can only run on 120v and find a way to hook it up. Would have been easy if it wasnt for all these voltage selector wires.

The reason i bought this was because of the spectrum analyzer alone... yea... just so i could see RGB colors flashing while listening to my music. Anyone know of any amp with a RGB spectrum analyzer that doesnt cost over 300 dollars?

Welcome to AK.

I'm going to be candid with you, and I apologize if it sounds rude.

That thing at the bottom is not a spectrum analyzer, the printed circuit board you showed us is not a mobo.

The odds of you fixing it don't seem very good.

I'd recommend you buy a new amp, with an instruction book.

Hello Muneeb. Welcome to AK. Saw the pic of the hole in the Nic cap, that would possibly short out the layers of the cap (Dead short?). The 120/240 switch changes the xformer windings from parallel ? (120) to series (240) to power the unit usually. But I would ask for a refund. Good luck.

NEW DISCOVERY!!!

The thing did work. He has pictures of it turned on. This means that the part of the transformer that is damaged is only the wires for 120v which means that it works on 220v so i need to get a converter after fixing this sketchy capacitor. But then this gets me wondering why it blew fuses when i originally plugged it in at 220v. Maybe his angry wife drilled holes in it before he sent it out to ruin his ebay career.

Welcome to AK.

I'm going to be candid with you, and I apologize if it sounds rude.

That thing at the bottom is not a spectrum analyzer, the printed circuit board you showed us is not a mobo.

The odds of you fixing it don't seem very good.

I'd recommend you buy a new amp, with an instruction book.
Yeah i know its a pcb im just used to saying mobo because i only work on computer motherboards and always say mobo. And yes there is a spectrum analyzer on the front of the thing. Im a noob with audio systems but it says spectrum analyzer on it and when i look up spectrum analyzer similar things pop up.

It's doesn't read the signal, it changes with the position of the slider controls.

The logo is a marketing ploy... a lie.

W
It's doesn't read the signal, it changes with the position of the slider controls.

The logo is a marketing ploy... a lie.
The pioneer sg 50 has the same exact thing and says spectrum analyzer on it. I looked up bar graph display boombox and nothing popped up but when i looked up spectrum analyzer boombox 58295829 similar boomboxes and amplifiers popped up.

No doubt...it's a section of a boom box.

The bar graphs aren't from the signal, they just change with the slider.

x4nls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom