Help ID some speakers

I don't know

look at the first pic you posted, centered at the top, notice the curve is continuous. No fancy spikes or divets...

no feet on cab in OP, either, FWIW. Legs/feet often get amputated from old furniture, if one gets damaged. It is easier to remove three good ones, than fix one broken one. I guess these cabs qualify as old furniture. :yes:

Wow . Great stuff. those speakers looke just like
they came out of the late 1920's...beautifull
woodwork and design ... hell, you could audition
them beau'ties off for a role the next Woody Allen movie. :thmbsp:

Well I contacted the seller and told him I had to back out due to computer problems (my monitor is starting to lose power randomly). He then tells me that since nobody else responded I can have them for free!!! :banana:

Picking them up next week!

Yank

DUDE-- look closely at the woofer in the original photo. IT'S A COAX... with a HORN in the middle. Looks like an EV 12TRXB! I'm betting, that it's a 3-way, with the TRXB acting as the woofer and tweeter, and the driver up top is like a 6" midrange...

Regards,
Gordon.

I picked them up last night! They ARE 32" tall! Anyway, I did not get home with them until very late so I have to wait until tonight to crack them open! My wife took one look at them and said "Oh my God, they are huge!" so the WAF is on the very low side! The cabinetry work is very good and the legs do not look like they are cut off either!

As I was talking to the previous owner, he states he got them from his grandfather who built them in the 60's. Says there is a mathcing console still at his mothers house and I gave him my contact info and stated that if they are going to get rid of it for any reason to call me :D

I am now stuck at work and wanna go home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Ok. Get home, speakers are in the garage (off the concrete of course). Open one up (12 screws!) and guess what Bozak!

B-199A 12"
B-209 Midrange

So far very clean except for what looks likfe slight oxidation of the paint on the midrange. Tried to include a crossover shot.

This is way cool!

John

Last edited:
Like the Avatar. Still in the garage at this point. 24"W x 16"D x 32"H each is tough to come by. Tonight is cleanup a basement area, tomorrow bring them in and clean them up.

Drivers will be checked photographed, etc.

Worst cabinet issue is a slight veneer section coming away from the plywood. Nice part is the cabinets are really in great shape!

Inside of the one I opened is very, very clean.

Size comparison (getting these to fit is frustrating). This is the worst looking speaker of the pair (water stain on top and grain is not lifted, easy fix). Have it next to and a foot or so in front of a Heresy I for size.

They have to be about 6 cubic ft for enclosure size :D

Will give them a run through in the morning, figure let them get acclimated from being in the garage over night.

Yank

Give them time

Bigyank said:
Size comparison (getting these to fit is frustrating). This is the worst looking speaker of the pair (water stain on top and grain is not lifted, easy fix). Have it next to and a foot or so in front of a Heresy I for size.

They have to be about 6 cubic ft for enclosure size :D

Will give them a run through in the morning, figure let them get acclimated from being in the garage over night.

Yank

John,
Give them a little time after you hook them up. . . You will be turning them down all night as they loosen up again. . . Very polite smooth sweet Bozak sound. . . :banana:

Hooked them up to a Sansui AU-G99X integrated with a HK CDP. One channel mid is scratchy! I am going to open that speaker up later today!

The other channel actually sounded quite pleasing overall but lacked the dome tweeter sound I like.

More to come.

John

before opening it up, do what gyusher suggested. run them overnight at low volume.

Also try rotating the scratchy speaker 180 deg. gravity might help align the VC back.

Okay! Did that and the mid in the offending speaker still scratched :cry:

Opened the offending speaker after breakfast and gently pulled the mid-range out (4 screws) and turned it over. The mid is almost plastic (???) in composition. I pushed the driver in to check the travel and it would not budge!!!! Then I said what the heck, I have nothing to lose at this point so I pushed harder and voila! It moved and there is no rubbing sounds!!!! :banana:

I have been running them since 11 am EDT today using the Sansui AU-G99X at low levels (1-2 watts/channel via the Sansui's display). Scratchiness is gone! Sound is not bad at all but not to my taste (yet).

Here is the test run in my living room!

John

my wife would go out and chainsaw a limb off of a tree and get after me with it, before dismembering me with the saw for bringing something like that in the house. to her, AR 2ax's are 'huge and ugly'....

shrinkboy

Aluminum Cone Mids

Bigyank said:
Okay! Sound is not bad at all but not to my taste (yet).
John

Glad you put the "yet" in there. . . I was not too fond of my Bozaks either . .at first. . . it took several days for them to come back, but they did come back. . .

These guys sneak up on you and about the time you think you are sick of them and put your regulars back in place you realise (at least I did) just how smooth and nice these old girls are. . . Not much for real high energy stuff but for everyday stuff you might find that you like them better than you thought.

BTW I think those mids are aluminum cone jobs that bring good money on their own. . .

Back
Top Bottom