Help ID this sansui console

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by jera, Jun 5, 2017.

1. jera

jera AK Subscriber Subscriber

Buddy of mine picked this up from the original owners son who said he bought it in Japan in 1960. Unfortunately the original tube receiver is gone (may be able to recover it) but so far the internet has turned up nothing. Aside from the missing amp this thing looks amazing. Does anyone know what model this is and where I could find some more info?

Attached Files:

Hipocrates likes this.
  2. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

I'll make a WAG and say none of us have seen one of those either - do you have a model number or anything like that which would help?

Also the pictures are so dark, and don't show what might be writing on parts of the speaker grilles and cabinet front, we can't see if it is even Sansui at all !

Much more information please. ;)

3. jera

Well unfortunately I could not find any model numbers to speak of. Also all the writing was in Japanese. Here is a picture of the badge on the speakers. Maybe this will help.

Attached Files:

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Ok, that's confirmed then :) I am afraid you'll have to wait for someone with the knowledge to help you with ID'ing the unit.

(Note: some people might only log in once a week, so please be patient.)

5. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Wow! That's a beautiful piece. Clearly expensive in it's day. The style is what people around here call "Mid Century Modern" and is very much in demand to furnish the many Mid Century Modern houses in the LA area. Are there any badges on the turntable? Any hope of finding the original amp/tuner?

- Pete

6. jera

I actually don't have anymore pictures of these as they belong to a buddy but will try and get him to send some more. As far as I was told the orginal amp stop working so they took it out. They said it may still be around. I will hope he ends up with that as it would be nice to see it in all orginal condition.

7. jera

Turns out the owners son had the catalog jammed in the bottom of the console and it appears to be model aps18. Here are some pics from the catalog

Attached Files:

smurfer77 and BLAH BLAH like this.
  8. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man

might be personal preference but i would swap speaker left for right etc

9. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

That is the Rarest Sansui item I've ever seen, aware of... 'Amazing'.

I have seen 1 pair of the APS-10 speakers for sale on Yahoo Japan 5+ years ago... but NEVER the center consol.

' SUPER ULTRA ' Rare!!

APS consoles:
    APS-10 1962/4 (the very first console) - April1962
    APS-18 1962/7 (2nd console)
    APS-15 1962/10
    APS-7 1963/4
    APS-12 1963/5

Jera: I'll keep my eyes open for the amp, if you want one. It may take 5+ years.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  10. jera

Would love an amp unfortunately this is not my set up. It belongs to a buddy. I thought about purchasing this from him but lack the space. Do you have any idea what amp went in there?

11. satellite

satellite AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow! Freaking awesome! I guess you see something new every day. I hope your friend finds the receiver. Thanks for posting this.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  12. larryderouin

larryderouin You can be sure if it's Westinghouse??????? Subscriber

It looks like it was originally setup for a receiver, based on the design of the center console, unless it's a preamp/tuner, with separate amplifiers in the speaker housings.

13. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

Totally agree, and that it is the way it is shown in the literature!

14. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

That thing is super neato by the way, bet we'll bever see another one of those in our lifetime...

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  15. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

APS-10.jpg

fish flowe r 2.jpg

Finding out information on the early 60's APS consoles is almost impossible. You can even search * Biglobe, Japan (below) and you rarely find anything. How it goes is you just get lucky sometimes and find a little bit of information here and there. Information is scarce. It's darn near impossible to find photographs of the early 60's consoles too, some you can't even find 'one photo'. That hard. With that said...

It looks like the APS-10 console didn't have a front handle on the bottom fold down lid at all ???, or the sterephonic plackard on the top front. We do have to check this out some more. Maybe I'm wrong.

APS-10 1962/4 . (Yen: 73,900 - 360 yen to $1 USD) The ‘first’ separate stereo APS console. This system had the SM-10 AM/FM Stereo Tri-amp (see photo above). (6GW8s)6AQ8-6AJ8(80-108MHz). This information and 2 photos is all that I could ever find out about it. Scarce! I know your brochure is APS-10.

APS-18 1962/7. I think you have an APS-18. This console does have the "stereophonic sound system" plackard on the top and 1 handle on the pull down lid, like yours. Also... look on the back of the speakers and see if there are stickers that say "Chan 1", and the other speaker "Chan 2". The APS-18 has this printed on a sticker on the back of the speakers. The APS 18 also had speaker wire connections: an oblong rectangle type mount, color black, with 2 screw to tighten down on the wires in the middle of the horizontal rectangle mount and has 2 phillips screws on each side outboard of the speaker wire screws. The philips screws holds the whole speaker attachment unit onto the back of each speaker.

In any event - your friend has a Super Ultra RARE Sansui console in 'outstanding like new condition'. Really nice!!

I personally wouldn't worry about using an original amp, but certainly 'GET IT' if you can and just keep it in the closet.. The tuner section may not work in USA anyway.

Do the speakers work???
    Does the turntable work?

Thanks for posting the RARE photos your friend took. :) So Cool! Please post more!! Including TT & cartridge/headshell & inside speaker cabinets.

--

ALSO: Would it be possible to post a 'quality scan' of the 'complete APS-10 brochure' that you have, especially a readable page with all the amps and equipment on it. I'd really appreciate it!

-

SEE:

* Biglobe search engine - Japan:

http://images.search.biglobe.ne.jp/cgi-bin/search?q=APS-10+sansui&searchBtn=検索&ie=utf8&o_sf=1&o_cr=all&o_si=&o_ft=all&o_sz=all

Sansui Rack, Cabinet, and APS console model numbers
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-rack-cabinet-and-aps-console-model-numbers.409775/

Hope this helps.

16. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

$200 2 old suis and Fisher RS1060.jpg

APS-18 - note handle & plackard.

aps-18.jpg
    7  - 18  - 300.jpg

17. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

APS-10, I believe. No plackard.

aps-10 maybe.jpg

18. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio AK Subscriber Subscriber

That truly is a gem,. a holy grail find. certainly one of the only sansui items missing from some complete collections.

BLAH BLAH and bluesky like this.
  19. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

That truly is a gem - if it works. Super great shape... like new.

o find one in USA is unreal!!

Rare in Japan too. APS-10 & APS-18 consoles never come up for sale, ever.

Super Rare! Nice!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    BLAH BLAH and freQ(*)Oddio like this.
  20. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member