Help Identify JBL Jubal

cirtcele

I have a chance to purchase a pair of jubals the port is in the upper left corner but the speaker connections on the rear are a few inches from the bottom instead of close to the center. Any ideas?

Every image I found looks like this . Are you sure they are not missing the tweeters ? They are valuable .
14986602508_a5369f7533_s.jpg
[/url]149818087-jbl-l65-jubal by butchbeckner, on Flickr[/IMG]

There's a L65 and L65 Jubal, they aren't exactly the same, but sometimes any L65 gets called Jubal.

Does the port appear to have 4 screws or empty screw holes around it? If so, that's where the tweeters were. The tweeters alone routinely sell for for $250 or more. Each. I've met a pawn shop owner who claims to have sold about a dozen tweeter pairs and throwing away the rest of the speakers and cabs, 'cuz "they ain't worth anything". (I wanted to smack the guy!)

There were at least three different versions. Each had a different 12" woofer, and JBL I think was experimenting with the best port placement with each model, as the location of the port could be low or high.

Not so sure about the placement of the binding posts. Mine are more or less centered on the rear.

Also try and make sure the woofer and midrange are original JBL. I paid $400 sight-unseen for my L65 pair, which I thought was a screaming deal from an unsavvy seller. Discovered non-JBL 12" drivers in them and I've spent another $500 replacing them.

So, uh... where are you located? :naughty:

Well thanks to Ebay the last couple pairs went for 1300.00 and 1465.00 so now everyone trying to sell them think they a worth 1500.00. It does not help when people are selling the tweeters for 600 to 700 and they are being snatched up.

The guy wants 1500.00

Hah! You can buy mint-in-box 250Ti's for not much more than that. Ask me how I know!

attachment.php

I don't really like the sound of the L65s, myself, and have never wanted to own a pair. And certainly not for that money! The woofer's not that great, the mid isn't either, and the cabinet is too low for the tweeter to work well without stands. IMHO, of course.

Ha-cha-cha. Dang.

I've had Jubals (and 250Tis) and I have to agree. The L65s are nice, and I kinda dig how they look, but when you get up into the $1,000+ range there's a mighty big world out there.

Here's an artsy L65 brochure with an interesting discussion about the tweeter design.

Attachments

• JBL L65 1.pdf
    782.4 KB · Views: 14
  • JBL L65 2.pdf
    582.9 KB · Views: 11
I have the pro version in my 4345s and I have to say it's probably the main reason the L65 brings as much as it does. That being said the 077 and 2405 are ultra-high-frequency drivers. The 4345s cross to them at 10kHz while the L65 crosses at 6500Hz which is the lowest limit for the radiator if not a bit lower than it's comfort zone (the L300 crosses at 8500Hz). :dunno:

Take look on Ebay, the Jubals (orange grills) i was considering buying have been listed for over 2000.00 this is the guy in Chicago with the vintage collection listed for just under 500,000.00. Very nice gentleman just could not do 1500.00 for the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom