1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Help identifying sansui receiver

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by R. Mallow, Feb 11, 2016.

1. R. Mallow

R. Mallow New Member

Hi all, long time audiokarma lurker but first time poster. I hope you'll forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum or redundant. I'm trying to ID a sansui receiver that's up for grabs on a local newspaper's website. Can anyone offer any insight? The three black knobs and faceplate are throwing me off.
    Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Active Member

Not Sansui at all. Pretty certain it is a Pioneer SX-9000. Controls on lower portion of panel are usually obscured by a flip down cover. It is a Pioneer for sure, just not 100% on the specific model though I think SX-9000 was the only one with such a front panel design. Now, the speaker beneath it with the carved wood grille is Sansui without any doubt.

Edit: ok, did some looking and this is not an SX-9000 but a lower model in the same series. A 9000 has 1 large (tuning) and three smaller black knobs with silver skirts to the right of the dial glass. This one has only two of the smaller knobs so I surmise it is a smaller sibling of the 9000. Of course, I am not an authority on Pioneer as I am Sansuiman, so that is the most I can say on it.

Kevin

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. R. Mallow

R. Mallow New Member

Thanks, Kevin! That's very helpful. The seller advertised it as a sansui package, but I couldn't find anything that matched in searching for late sixties/ early seventies models. That makes so much more sense now. Thanks a million!

4. Sansuiman

Sansuiman Active Member

No problem. If you do an google image search of pioneer sx-9000 you will see what was the top model in this series of receivers. Not knowing which one this is that you grabbed the image of, I can't narrow down it's specs. I'd say earlyish 70's as that style of knob was used by Pioneer around roughly 72-73 based on other models I've seen that use the same black/silver skirted knobs and round black plastic push switch caps.

Probably not a bad mid-line unit for that era, but I've never been all that excited about Pioneer outside a handful of specific models that do get some respect from me. I became an adherent of Sansui years ago, and have stayed pretty comitted to the brand ever since.

rasenthiran likes this.
  5. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

SX-9000 was PIONEER's TOTL receiver from 1969 to 1971. It was one series before the x2x (424 to 828) series. Very nice sounding and quite close to the Cap Coupled Sansui's in SQ at the time.

6. freakdaddy25

freakdaddy25 New Member

That model is an Pioneer SX-6000. It is a great receiver.

Please register to disable this ad.