Help in Ebaying Sansui Rack System

Don McR

I need some help from some Sansui experts on Ebaying a late 70's rack system. It consists of an AU-717, TU-717, SC5110 and Sansui rack. There's also an ADC 10 band graphic equalizer in the mix. My question is whether I am better off listing this as a set or listing them separately. Either way, help in setting a reserve would be appreciated. They all work and truly are in near mint condition. For the last twenty years they have not been used and sat covered under a sheet. I also have all of the manuals.

I just received a PM asking that I consider making this system available to AK'ers. By all means. However, I do want to get a decent price for it. The reason I bought it was for the speakers that came with it - a pristine set of Altec Model 19's. I'm hoping to offset the cost of the speaker purchase by selling the electronics, which I don't need. BTW, the horn is just out temporarily as I check the system over.

Hi Don,

I definitely recommend separating these for sale on ebay. (if you don't sell them to an AK member). There are few people in the market for all four pieces and the considerable cost. But I think that some folks might be looking for a tuner, others an amp, or just the rack because they already have some rack-mount gear......you will have more potential bidders.

Those 19s sure are nice!

RobV

Don

All of these prices are what I would ask ( on my website ) if they are near mint with manuals and rack handles. Prices are for individual pieces. Take in to consideration that I doubt the Cassette deck works 100%. Least I never found one that sat that long that did not need belts. The tuner may or may not need an alignment as well. All of these things plus more can add up to quite a bit more or less money money.

Amp 300.00
Tuner 275.00
Cassette 175.00
Rack ???
ADC 10 maybe 30.00

All prices are Just my opinion. With superb pictures and well written auctions you could see a significant increase but as is on par with epay your mileage will vary. Remember this is just my 2 cents.

Good luck

grumpy

I'm with the other guys in saying sell the pieces separately.
The tuner and integrated amp, especially, are VERY well regarded. The other pieces may not bring the same enthusiasm.
Good luck!

Do you have established feedback on Ebay? 50 or more positives?
Will help sell the items.

Definately separate the system.

It will be worth your time to clean the controls, and check the lamps, etc. They will sell better with the extra work, plus help get the $$ your looking to achieve.

Good pictures is a must. And confirm the operational, and cosmetic condition. And provide details in the auction of what I've mentioned.

You could also throw up a one day auction for the whole rack with a high BIN, ya never know, someone may bite.

J

I'd go with splitting the units up. Check out also Morden2004's database for prices on the various units although it may not have a price for the GX5 rack. I've seen good ones go for over $250 on ebay and would probably expect to pay at least $180 for a mint one. I reckon you will have few problems selling either a "mint AU717 or TU717 with rack handles" on its own. :)

Very clean looking gear.

cheers
Jack

I always use a low starting price like $5.00 and have a reserve at or a little lower to what they are going for on ebay. That way I get bidders and if the auction ends and they are close to the reserve I can haggle with them or let them have it at their high bid. If you start it too high you may not get any bidders. At least with the lower start price you get someone on the other end.

Back
Top Bottom