Help: MA6500 went kaput with video.

Ryanh0190

Long story short, I acquired this MA6500 that was not well taken care of. I took it in for service because one channel was not working due to neglect. I had the big capacitors both changed with factory McIntosh and also a bunch resistors and the short lived display bulbs. About two weeks later, channel one stopped working again so I took it back. I was told that he though I should just use channel two and disable channel one. Ok, whatever! I didnt know anything about the amp at the time or audio equipment. I spent almost $800 in the end for repairs. Come to find out I could have just had a whole new I/O board from Mcintosh for around the same cost. So for a few years I have been able to enjoy using it until just recently it basically stopped working. Please watch video for reference. When it does turn on without the humming, the volume is really low like it has no power.
At this point, funds wont really allow another 5-$800 repair so I'm not sure if it's even worth fixing.
Btw, the newly cracked glass is from an "item" bouncing off the ground right into the face. *cough 2yr old cough*
Thanks for any help as I really appreciate it. Its killing me knowing I'm back to square one with this.
Also, the background music is just tv. And I'm sure I'll get flamed for even turning the amp on in its condition.
Ryan.

Video link:

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions or not giving helpful information so I will do is open the unit and take close up pictures of the inside components to share. Maybe something will be more evident at that point.

I don't know what you expect us to diagnose long distance......there are fundemental basic steps which I would hope your local tech would do or walk you through.

Why were the main caps replaced? They would effect both channels not just one.

First thing to do is using a patch cord bypass the internal make/ break RCA jacks for the preamp out/amp in. The contacts inside the RCA jack that make the circuit can corrode and by jumping with a patch cord you bypass that contact. Still one channel?

2nd) hook the patch cord to the opposite input of the amp section. R to L L to R and see if the dead channel switches sides. If it switches your issue is in the preamp, if it stays the same it is in the amp.

I have no idea what your tech was chasing, obviously the issue was not solved.

I would think he should give you consideration towards the correct repair.

Back
Top Bottom