lightscamera

I need some help trouble shooting a hum problem and finding the right cartridges that will match my system, which consists of a Technics SL-1210 MK2 which is connected to a McIntosh MAC4100 receiver and Axiom Audio M100 Towers. The SL1210 came with a Stanton MP 6800 EL cartridge, but I am getting background hum. Someone noted that the Stanton has a 1.1 MV output while the MAC4100 has a 2.0 MV sensitivity. Would that cause a hum? I've already checked the grounding wire, it is connected to metal casing of the receiver, and I've removed and reseated the headshell to the tone arm. It hums even when the TT is turned off, if it is still connected to phone inputs and still in PH 1 on dial. If I set dial to PH2 but leave the TT connected to PH1, the hum noise immediately stops. But if i connect the TT to PH2 and set the dial to PH2, the same hum noise immediately starts. Can the difference in MV output of the stylus and the sensitivity of the receiver cause the hum? If this is not a good cartridge match for this amp/TT combo, what would be? I want to stay between $100-$300 on a cartridge, but $500 is not out of the question. Thanks for your help on both issues.

Last edited:
Do you have another cheap cart laying around to swap and troubleshoot? I had a similar issue once, and it was a cart that was going bad. Another time, I had connected the headshell wires incorrectly to the cart.

Try reversing the ground wires. If that doesn't work remove the ground strap from the Stanton body. If you still have a hum Then I woulds say you might have a bad audio cable or a bad ground inside the table.

There is a ground strap on the Stanton. Back the headshell lead away from the strap carefully, and see if the hum is gone. I suspect you have a ground loop.

Back
Top Bottom