Help me bring AU519 back to life

McMike

I have an AU-519 of which I am very fond, but has been in its box for over a decade.

It developed the lost channel syndrome, where a channel would crackly away and dissappear, maybe so that it could still be heard very very quietly, or maybe not working at all. Sometimes both channels would go out.

Fiddling with the volume nob (generally cranking it up sharply) sometimes brings it all back. But it would eventually fizzle away again. This tactic worked less and less.

If I open the box up and dust things off with sprayer or toothbrush, that usually fixes it for a little while. I sent it to pros who would fix it (clean it) but it would only last a while. So I gave up.

I really want to get it working again. I am going to get some of that Deoxit as per other threads on this board. But I have two questions:

(1) Should I use the Deoxit progold5 or pro100?

(2) are there any other tips I should know, like: "never touch the red button", or "never unscrew the widgetthingy"?

Thanks! I got some old JBL L100s currently doing duty as shelves, and they have been chomping at the bit to play music again.

Hi Mike, welcome to Audiokarma!

This is typical of a connected/separated switch (back of the unit) that needs attention:
Originally posted by McMike
Fiddling with the volume nob (generally cranking it up sharply) sometimes brings it all back. But it would eventually fizzle away again. This tactic worked less and less.
Just flip it back and forth a couple times to see if the weak channel comes back. If so, it needs a good cleaning.

Use D5. The D100 stuff is not a contact cleaner, I think it's just a lubricant/preservative.

!!! RobV makes one of his rare appearances.:D

McMike, Rob is right on, but there is a whole front panel of pots and switches that are in the signal path. Any/all of them are suspect. Additionally, if the unit uses an output relay, the contacts can get corroded (dunno why, but Sansui's seem to be bad about the relays). I can usually disassemble them and clean the contacts with #600 sandpaper (gently, as the plating is thin) and flush with DeOxit. Usually works, but it can be a real PITA depending on where the relay is mounted.

RE: Cleaner. Use the DeOxit D5.

Thank you for the replies... another Q

Thanks for the replies.

I am concered about getting to many of the pots, such as the Balance Knob. These are buried below a large circuit board that is the width of the entire unit. Dare I try and get it off to access the moving parts below?

I am reasonably adept and working with this sort of stuff, but by no means a professional, and I would fear doing more harm than good by removing such a complicated piece.

Thanks.

Re: Thank you for the replies... another Q

Mike,

Try taking off the bottom cover? I had/have a AU-819 & AU-919 and can get to all the pots and switches on those with both covers removed. The 519 might be built more like the AU-517, though....

EW,

I've been spending more time lately on the family's PCs than my audio gear. Lurking now and then. :cool:

Hey, one other question

What does the output relay look like? Where might I find it?

Any pictures of a similar one out there on the web?

Thanks. It is for a great cause!!

4PRLY-24N.jpg

Like this.

Got no idea where it's mounted in that particular unit.

Hooray!

Okay, I wiggled the connector/separate switch a couple times and things seem to be working pretty well. Still some noise in the knobs, so when my Deoxit comes, I will give a good going over with that. :dunno:

Thanks for your help. To think the thing has been sitting in a box for ten years... :withstpd: I'm just glad I didn't let my wife convince me to pitch it. :beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom