Help me build a XLR switchbox?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by stoutblock, Sep 23, 2017.

1. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it must be right... Subscriber

How many positions do you want?

2. j_loop

j_loop AK Subscriber Subscriber

3 minimum and 6 maximum. So I guess their switches would be good for me in case things change.
    As I am understanding this: the positions are the inputs and the "C" spot on the Goldpoint switch is the output, yes?

3. stoutblock

I think you want a 2P-3T-1D switch http://www.goldpt.com/selector.html

You might as well put one or two extra outputs than you need because you never know? The switch is good for 2 to 6 just by moving a screw.

Yes, C is the common output.

4. j_loop

Now I'm confused again. If you want me to start my own thread let me know.

I thought the number of poles determined the number of outputs "C" available? How do you get multiple outputs with a 2P and 1D switch? I thought the positions/throws were strictly input? Talking stereo, not mono.

I only have one amp so I only need one output.

5. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

The switches can be used either way, so probably it might be helpful to disregard any connotation of input or output.

1. You want three to six selections so you need a three to six position switch. This is "T" in Goldpoint literature.

2. You have two channels to switch. In this case it is an unbalanced application. In most cases the grounds are common so you only need two poles in total; one for left chann and one for right channel. This is "P" in Goldpoint literature.

3. The two poles can both be on a single deck, or there can be a two decks with one pole per deck. This is the "D" in Goldpoint literature.

Personally, despite higher cost, I'd probably go with two decks meaning one channel per deck. I have no empirical evidence to suggest two decks is necessarily better than one deck from an audio quality standpoint.

6. stoutblock

For SE switchbox

SE switch box.jpg

Your ground (-) is common and does not need to be switched. Just wire all the (-) inputs together bypassing the switch.

Just your (+) for SE (RCA) need to go to the switch.

Use one pole on the deck for RH (+) and one pole for LH (+) . Use one C on one pole for RH (+) output and the other C on the other pole for LH (+) output. Use position 1-6 for your respective inputs only make sure they are each on their respective RH or LH (+) pole. Also make sure each number (1 thru 6) are matched to the same set of RCAs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

May have missed it, but any plans to set up the jacks so you can "lift a leg" with a flip of a switch? Some XLR equipment doesn't like the extra ground ...

PS ... lots of gear has the switch (earth lift here) built in ...

[​IMG]

8. stoutblock

Not a bad idea but I have not use for it.

9. j_loop

Thanks Everyone!
    Descriptions and diagram very helpful!!
    Sorry for the detour...
    Back to your regularly scheduled program...

10. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Good nuff ...

That said, might not be a bad idea to add that option long as you're building from scratch. I'd switch each output independently for max flexibility - no telling what goodies you might want to hook up down the road.

11. stoutblock

Here is my schematic for the XLR switchbox. I added an optional ground lift switch.

XLR switch box e.jpg

12. stoN_Cold

stoN_Cold Super Member

As I wrote in #8.

13. stoutblock

I got the switchbox done yesterday. I have been switching XLR cables for way too long and this is something I should have built years ago! Works great and is absolutely quiet with no detrimental effects that I can hear.

20' of wire!

IMG_1780 (net).jpg
    IMG_1781 (net).jpg
    IMG_1782 (net).jpg
    IMG_1783 (net).jpg

ChristopherP, bjlefebvre and IPADave like this.
  14. stoutblock

Although I show an optional main ground lift on the circuit, I built mine without it as I was attempting to make the circuit as direct as possible. There are no grounding problems in my system as installed so I plan on keeping it as it is. Agree that it could be more universally applied to a system that needed to lift the ground if there was a switch. I would start to run out of real estate quickly if I had to add a ground lift for each input independently!

15. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Usually a ground lift can be at just one place, such as the output connections. Usually not necessary to ground lift each input separately.

When I got a new HT processor some years back I picked up a small, but annoying, ground loop hum that was not present with the previous processor. I lifted one end of the shields of the balanced cables from the processor to the amps and all was well.