Help me choose a DAC

Gibsonian

I'm hoping to pick a DAC to improve sound from my CD's in the near future as I'm sure that I can improve upon what I have right now. I am currently using a Toshiba 4000 DVD player feeding digital out to Behringer DEQ2496 which is the DAC. When I compare the Behringer w/o eq to the Tohsiba, the Toshiba definitely sounds better - I don't think the DEQ2496 DAC is so good from a DAC standpoint. I would like to hear other opinions of the DEQ2496 DAC if you have compared it to others that you have.

A couple DAC's within my budget that I've heard good things about are the Number Crunchers and the Behringer SRC2496. I ruled out the Adcom GDA-600 as it does not sound as good as the Number Crunchers by folks who have had both.

I'd like to spend less than $200 if possible to get a good sounding DAC to place after the DEQ2496.

Should I get the Cruncher or the SRC or are there other better alternatives out there within my price range?

Or is there something that blows these units away that I really need to consider saving my bucks for?

I agree about the DAC in the DEQ2496; definitely not its strong point. In my experience, the SRC2496 is somewhat better, though not great. Its strength is its many functions (A/D as well as D/A, format and sample rate conversion). The only sub-200 DACs I've heard recently are the ART DI/O and the Entech 205.2; both are better than either of the Behringers, I think. There are also mods out there for the Behringers, though I haven't heard them.

I prefer the SRC2496 over the Entech 203.2. You can read my review here. Some people have receivers that have problems with the "hot" outputs on the Behringer, but I have had no problems with Denon receivers.

I also have a Beresford TC-7510 MKIII. However, I have never compared it to the two DACs above. It has four digital inputs and the new TC-7510s have a much improved headphone output.

Just to wrap up:

The Entech 203.2 has two digital inputs (one coax an one optical)

The SRC2496 also has two digital inputs, but it also has selectable upsampling, a headphone output, dither control, emphasis control, analog to digital conversion, LED display and balanced outputs (balanced outputs require an adapter if you want to send the signal to a receiver without XLR inputs)

The Beresford has 2 coax and 2 optical inputs and a headphone output.

Thanks for the responses so far. It sounds like the Entech and the Behringer are still the only choices out there under $200 that can be recommended.

Not alot to choose from in this price range, really.

Any other ideas?

There are other choices out there, like the Zhaolu, but I haven't heard them. Surprised we haven't heard from more people in this thread.

I've read good things about that Toshiba player so you may have to up the ante for improved performance. Some dacs are on Agon at your current price that have good reps. I'm going with the src2496 (thanks to RichPA). After buying a thrift vintage Hitachi DA-7000 cd player and hearing it's improvement over my current pc set up, I'm certain it will be an upgrade for my situation.
I had considered the Beresford but I have read that it's merely a labeled Chinese part that may be available in it's generic version elsewhere for probably less. I didn't have time to look into it any further. Maybe a little digging could find an alternative source for that dac.

I've read good things about that Toshiba player so you may have to up the ante for improved performance. Some dacs are on Agon at your current price that have good reps. I'm going with the src2496 (thanks to RichPA). After buying a thrift vintage Hitachi DA-7000 cd player and hearing it's improvement over my current pc set up, I'm certain it will be an upgrade for my situation.
I had considered the Beresford but I have read that it's merely a labeled Chinese part that may be available in it's generic version elsewhere for probably less. I didn't have time to look into it any further. Maybe a little digging could find an alternative source for that dac.
I believe the version of the TC-7510 you are referring to is one of the earlier models sold by a Chinese manufacturer. I do not think it has the same mods that Bereford uses. The casing is apparently popular because I have a source switch with a phono stage that is very similar.
There are other choices out there, like the Zhaolu, but I haven't heard them.
I have also read that the Zhaolu is a good DAC in the price range. It can also be improved quite a bit with mods if you are the DIY type. I have no first hand experience with it, though.

I also have a Beresford TC-7510 MKIII. However, I have never compared it to the two DACs above. It has four digital inputs and the new TC-7510s have a much improved headphone output.

Ever think about helping a fellow AKer out and do a comarison of the TC-7510 against your Behringer? I'm wondering which one is better. I think the Beresford is in my price range.

Ever think about helping a fellow AKer out and do a comarison of the TC-7510 against your Behringer? I'm wondering which one is better. I think the Beresford is in my price range.
Yeah, I guess I could do it. I will try to post something for ya by the end of the week.

When I bought the Beresford it was about $30 more than the SRC2496. I think they cost a bit more now, but I have read that the upgrades are worth the money...espcially if you want to use the headphone output.
Also, Stanley Beresford will give you a discount if you send him an email and tell him that you read about it on Head-fi (at least he used to). I am not sure if he does the same for AK members.

Back
Top Bottom