Help me choose a good turntable

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Ess, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Ess

Ess New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Sara and I'm new to the vinyl community and want to buy a turntable that will last me many years. I have done my research and realized that crosley turntables are bad for your records. So far these are my options:
    • Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB.
    • Teac TN 400s.
    • Music hall mmf-1.3.
    Is there any other turntables I should consider? and what other equipments (Speakers, receivers , etc...) I should be looking for?
    Thank you in advance.
    Edit: I narrowed them to either the AT LP120 or the PLX-500. Should i just buy speakers to connect them directly or should i buy a receiver and a preamp?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mhjmhjones

mhjmhjones Active Member

What's your budget?

3. mprince

mprince AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would consider a Pioneer PLX-500 given the other tables you are looking at. Also a U-Turn table. Assuming you want to buy a new table (vs. pre-owned)?

4. Ess

Ess New Member

No more that $400

5. Apolek

Apolek Well-Known Member

Welcome! Any preference for auto, or manual? I prefer manuals, and I'm lucky to have good vision and dexterity, but my wife who has ten thumbs and can wreck a steel ball is better served with an automatic. Heavy drinking and manuals can be a bad combo, too... at least that's what I remember from my youth.

6. Ess

Ess New Member

I don't think it's a factor for me

7. Art K.

Art K. The Voodoo You Do! Subscriber

I'll be the first fool to say that you may want to see if you can get a deal on the Rega Planar 1. It comes with a nice cartridge and I can tell you that I have owned nearly every budget model out there and just as the reviewers have said it really is a cut above for sound quality. The retail is $475, however I know that it can be had for at 10% off and perhaps better. It's worth the working out a deal.

http://theaudiophileman.com/planar-1/

guiller likes this.
  8. Ess

Ess New Member

I would prefer a new turntable because it will not be a hassle like the vintage one or even the used ones

9. Art K.

I just added a review link to my last post.

10. Ess

Ess New Member

I definitely like the Pioneer PLX-500 more than the LP 120

11. Art K.

12. eriathomas

eriathomas Active Member

If he's in the US, there is one for a great price on usaudiomart.

Edit: It's an RP1, but still a good deal for $299. Has the white belt and wool mat from the upgrade package.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Art K. likes this.
  13. Apolek

Apolek Well-Known Member

Do you know what you're going to use for sound (receiver, amp, speakers)? Does the receiver you're planning on using have a phono input? Nuked my budget once when I found out I couldn't just plug my new turntable into my Onkyo TX-NR535 because it didn't have a phono input and I had to buy a phono preamp. If you're planning on using a home theater receiver, you may need a turntable with a built in phono preamp like the Audio Technica, or factor a preamp into your budget.

14. Art K.

I had an RP1 and the Planar 1 is better. Far quieter in operation.

15. Ess

Ess New Member

I'm going back and fourth with these two, the PLX-500 and the AT LP 120. I have no clue what my setup should be :(

16. Apolek likes this.

17. Apolek

Apolek Well-Known Member

LP Gear has an "improved" Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB complete with upgraded Nagoaka MP-110 cartridge and Z-mat for $373.99... free shipping. Leaves enough for an X3 cleaning brush. All set up and ready to go; has a switchable preamp so it should plug into any receiver, and has USB out in case you wish to digitize your collection at a later date.

18. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

They are the SAME turntable, manufactured by the same Hanpin factory. Not fan of either.
    On par with the upper Pioneer plx1000 are the following two:
    https://www.turntablelab.com/collec...hnica-at-lp1240-usb-dj-direct-drive-turntable (if you can stand the looks)
    https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/turntables/products/mixars-sta-s-arm-dj-turntable (not bad looks, no dust cover)

But you may also like this one, not perfect, but quite decent:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...P_300F_DP_300F_Fully_Automatic_Turntable.html
    or
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1169331-REG/marantz_tt42_turntable.html
    And leaves money for the rest of the system (preamp, amp, speakers).

19. jetstream

jetstream Active Member

20. kermit z

kermit z Loud Music saves Lives!! Subscriber

Between the LP-120 and the Pioneer, I would lean towards the Pioneer, though the are probably twins anyway. But I have heard good reviews on both