Help me choose turntable !!!!!!!

bluemcintosh

Hi,

Need some input here.
I'm in dilemma to choose turntable.
I will use with my McIntosh Tube power -MC275- & preamp-C2300- with Harbeth SHL5.
listen to Be Bop jazz and classical and I'm kind of new for turntable.
what I'm looking for is sweet mid and no harsh also sound like analogue not like cd sounds.
I do know things to do with cartridge too but here are my final 4 turntable that I consider to buy next few days.

I bought Nottingham spacedeck somehow I didn't like it

1.VPI SUPER SCOUTMASTER
vpi-scout.jpg

2.VPI ARIES 3 with 10.5 Tonearm
_vyr_276product_aries3.jpg

3.SCHEU ANALOGUE MKII WITH SCHEU TONEARM
lbk26.jpg

4.CLEAR AUDIO MASTER SOLUTION WITH SATISFY TONEARM(1)
media.nl

Any experience ? can you give me some pros and cons?

I am consider to get Benz Glider , Ortofon 2M Black and Grado Sonata as cartridge option.

Please help decide.

I vote for the VPI Aries followed by the VPI Scoutmaster. Both have an upgrade path available for the future. Plus, either will provide an 'All-American' system, excepting your speakers. For your cartridges, they will certainly sound nice in any of these TT/TAs. However, they are all worthy of a considerably better cartridge, such as an Ortofon Kontrapunkt b, or higher, or a Lyra Dorian.

Missed the fact you are not happy with the Nottingham. I agree with dpastern............insure you have the cartridge (which one are you using?) and TT/TA set up correctly first. Then, try swapping ICs between your TT and preamp, different preamp settings, and differnt tubes in your preamp's phono-stage. All of these can have a significant impact on the sound. But, I would not think it is the TT/TA if it is set up correctly. I would even try different cartridges before swapping TT/TAs. If you are still not happy, then you will the cartridge(s) for you new TT/TA.

Last edited:
Have you spoken with the dealer where you bought the Nottingham to address issues first? A turntable is a complex beast - it could be a problem with the cartridge, or your phono stage. I have no experience with the Nottingham, nor the other turntables, but expensive doesn't always mean good. Throwing money at a problem rarely fixes it. Just my honest 2.2c worth.

Dave

I sold Nottingham Spacedeck already so can't do nothing about it lol.
I was using Rega EaxctII Cartridge on it and didn't like the sound it was so sensitive and sound like the digital not analogue.

OK......based on what you say you want for sonics you might want to look at a suspended turntable such as an Oracle (which I listen to) or a Sota, which are both suspended TTs of excellent reputation. Most folks feel that suspended TTs offer a softer/sweeter sonic picture than do the non-suspended TTs like those you've shown. On the flip side, the non-suspended TTs are said to offer a tighter, better controlled bass than do suspended TTs. I certainly like my Oracle and liked its predecessor, the VPI HW-19MkIV, which was also a suspended TT (VPI's last suspended TT).

Last edited:
I would go with the Aries 3 just because it's the coolest looking one and that's the most important because I bet they all sound pretty similar in a double blind taste test with the same carts and setups. That Clear Audio thing looks like a robot crab. I am going to guess all will be analog sounding, due to them all being analog playback devices. I have the same amp and pre combo. I have the VPI Classic and I listen to tons of jazz and it seems to work fine and looks killer and classic.

Back
Top Bottom