Help me downgrade my system (amplification)

Inspiribomb

Enjoy the journey
Greetings everyone. I don't spend much time on the forums anymore due to various life changes, and in general have been out of the loop when it comes to audio gear. I'm at a point where I'd like to simplify/downsize a bit.

Currently running Wyred4Sound mPre and mAmps with Klipsch RB-75 and a pair of NHT W1 subwoofers. I'm looking at selling the W4S gear and buying a decent integrated amp.

Considerations:

1) Must have pre-outs so I can run the subwoofers
2) Having a remote would be nice
3) Targeting 100 WPC
4) Budget around $1K
5) Prefer SS to tubes
6) Primary sources are a Squeezebox classic (digital coax out), Mac mini (SPDIF out), will need at least one set of RCA's. EDIT - Both of these are compatible with standard RCA as well, forgot about that.

Some of the pieces I've been looking at are the Bel Canto C5i, W4S mInt, and some of the Peachtree offerings. Wondering if the great folks here can assist me and make some recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I'm at a point where I'd like to simplify/downsize a bit.
Well I can understand that but are your mAmps mono blocks?

If so maybe sell them and just buy a stereo power amp like the
ST mkII Series ?
https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/stereo/st-mkii-series

I just don't see where buying a new integrate is down sizing much from what you have unless you have mono blocks. Un less your wanting some money out of your system it would be easier to swap out power amps.

Last edited:
They are mono amps. I would be going from 3 boxes down to 1. Moving into a smaller integrated would also put some money in my pocket (ideally).

Well I can understand that but are your mAmps mono blocks?

If so maybe sell them and just buy a stereo power amp like the
ST mkII Series ?
https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/stereo/st-mkii-series

I just don't see where buying a new integrate is down sizing much from what you have unless you have mono blocks. Un less your wanting some money out of your system it would be easier to swap out power amps.[/QUOT

Greetings everyone. I don't spend much time on the forums anymore due to various life changes, and in general have been out of the loop when it comes to audio gear. I'm at a point where I'd like to simplify/downsize a bit.

Currently running Wyred4Sound mPre and mAmps with Klipsch RB-75 and a pair of NHT W1 subwoofers. I'm looking at selling the W4S gear and buying a decent integrated amp.

Considerations:

3) Targeting 100 WPC
4) Budget around $1K
5) Prefer SS to tubes
6) Primary sources are a Squeezebox classic (digital coax out), Mac mini (SPDIF out), will need at least one set of RCA's

Some of the pieces I've been looking at are the Bel Canto C5i, W4S mInt, and some of the Peachtree offerings. Wondering if the great folks here can assist me and make some recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

I am sure you will get a lot of advice . I just want to say how nice it is to see you on the forum again, even if it is just passing through. Your journey with your infinity speakers a few years ago was very inspirational for me. As to imtegrated amps. Are you looking specifically for new or are you open to pre owned units as well?

Luxman has a number of units from the time of black face units. There is an LV-117 up on the auction site that you may be interested in. No remote but it meets the rest of your needs with great performance and hovering around 1/3 your budget.

Just a thought for you.

I am sure you will get a lot of advice . I just want to say how nice it is to see you on the forum again, even if it is just passing through. Your journey with your infinity speakers a few years ago was very inspirational for me. As to imtegrated amps. Are you looking specifically for new or are you open to pre owned units as well?

Thank you, I used to spend A LOT of time here, learned a lot, and met some really great people.

I typically only buy pre-owned, as I can't really stomach the new prices that most gear commands. I may have to try out some gear and compare some of the traditional class A/B amps to modern class D to hear how they play with the RB-75's. Although it's not an integrated, I would love to find another one of those Toshiba mini System 15's just because I adore them so much.

Considerations:
3) Targeting 100 WPC
4) Budget around $1K
5) Prefer SS to tubes
6) Primary sources are a Squeezebox classic (digital coax out), Mac mini (SPDIF out), will need at least one set of RCA's. EDIT - Both of these are compatible with standard RCA as well, forgot about that.
If you don’t need an integrated equipped with the possibility to insert any sound processor into the internal circuit of the amp (i.e. without using an external “input selector” for the number of “sources” you want to manage by means of a sound processor, to put between the “sources” and the input of the sound processor, and the output of the sound processor to connect to a line level input of the amp), and you don’t need an input on your amp for connecting an “MC” type cartridge directly, then: “Yamaha A-S701”.

In case of using an external input selector to manage all your sources by means of a sound processor, you will not be able to connect directly a magnetic cartridge to an external “input selector” without an external “phono stage”.

You could try the new PS Audio Sprout100. It does have an out for the sub and a phono input. But really all I use is the cell phone bluetoothed to the Sprout. You could loose the Squeezebox and simplify a bit more.

and fwiw-I love the one I have in the BR. not the last word in hi-fi but it does sound pretty good.

The inside of that Teac looks pretty strange to me.
Amplification is via an ICEpower AS 50x2 module. Their lowest powered board. Probably 20+ clean watts per channel.
But what's odd is that those amp modules have a SMPS on the board.....and there's a toroidal transformer inside the box as well.
So, two different power supplies???

Headphone output is apparently Class A/B.
DAC is dual mono.....but the amp board isn't.

Just my opinion, but it looks like they built a nice DAC/headphone set-up and then decided to add a rather minimal Class D speaker amplifier as an afterthought.

Last edited:
Ooo, this looks like a nice mix of classic style and modern tech - Teac AI-503.
“Rated output. 43 W + 43 W (1% distortion, 1 kHz, 4 Ω) 22 W + 22 W (1% distortion, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)”
(Its “OWNER’S MANUAL”)
(with your “Klipsch RB-75” 8 Ohms, so, 22 W) with your own “Targeting 100 WPC”…
And this with “1% distortion, 1 kHz”…

Real fan of the new Yamaha A-Sxxx series integrateds--specifically the A-S501--it seems to offer the most "bang for the buck" as the prices begin to increase dramatically with its bigger brothers in the series. A friend has one, and I have spent a fair amount of time with it and been quite impressed. I was seriously considering one for a basic system in a spare bedroom, but landed a good deal on a pre-owned Cambridge Audio Azur 651A with which I am very happy. The only downside to the Cambridge was the lack of a phono stage, but easily overcome with an external phono pre. The new Onkyo integrateds look interesting as well, but I have not had the opportunity to play with any of them (yet).

The inside of that Teac looks pretty strange to me.
Amplification is via an ICEpower AS 50x2 module. Their lowest powered board. Probably 20+ clean watts per channel.
But what's odd is that those amp modules have a SMPS on the board.....and there's a toroidal transformer inside the box as well.
So, two different power supplies???

Headphone output is apparently Class A/B.
DAC is dual mono.....but the amp board isn't.

Just my opinion, but it looks like they built a nice DAC/headphone set-up and then decided to add a rather minimal Class D speaker amplifier as an afterthought.

That’s unfortunate, maybe I will pass on that guy then. Too bad, it's a handsome fella. Where did you find the pics of the inside? Those specs are pretty abysmal as well. Pass.

I'll find something eventually. Will probably just have to keep perusing the used market.

Back
Top Bottom