Help me get into Jazz

fredcohiba

My music tastes have always been classic rock, with some classical music also but I am getting bored. I would like to listen to more jazz. I have Oscar Peterson meets Benny Carter and think it is fantastic. It moves, good beat I can follow, has great melody....
What are the classic jazz albums I shoud acquaint myself with?

You're gonna get a whole pile of suggestions about the usual suspects.
One that I bet you'll dig is Peterson's Night Train. Awesome album. There's a JazzPlus two-fer CD out there that has that one plus The Soul Jazz Of on it that's worth searching out.

Here are some to get you going. These are specific albums but do check out the artists different output if you can. Some if not most had different styles throughout their career.
This is just a small sampling of great jazz records. There is truly an almost endless supply of great jazz. One thing to do is start looking at the sidemen who played on the albums that you like.
Let us know what you are digging and I'm sure you will get a lot of great recommendations.

John Coltrane / Blue Trane
John Coltrane / A Love Supreme
Herbie Hancock / Maiden Voyage
Thelonious Monk / It's Monk's Time
Thelonious Monk / Straight, No Chaser
Miles Davis / Kind of Blue
Miles Davis / Round About Midnight
Miles Davis / Milestones
Sonny Rollins / Saxophone Colossus
Joe Henderson / Our Thing
Joe Henderson / Mode For Joe
Dave Brubeck / Time Out
Horace Silver / The Cape Verdean Blues
Horace Silver / Song For My Father
Clifford Brown / Brown & Roach
Harold Land / The Fox
Hank Mobley / Soul Station
Grant Green / Idle Moments
Art Pepper / Smack Up
Art Pepper / Meets The Rhythm Section
Sonny Clark / Cool Struttin'
Charles Mingus / Mingus Ah Um
Lee Morgan / The Sidewinder
Lee Morgan / The Procrastinator
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers / Live At The Cafe Bohemia
Art Blakey / A Night In Tunisia

The first thing that popped into my head was Gerry Mulligan, Night Lights. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
Hey Fred, I just asked a very similar question last week or so. If you like Sax,,, Stanley Turrentine, Don't mess with Mr T is awesome. I see you have a tt. The vinyl sounds wonderful on the CTI label.

Just about anything on the Blue Note label, but many originals will cost you $$$.

A few pricey ones ($75.00 maybe a little less)

Tom Scott - Honeysuckle Breeze. I REALLY DIG this release.
Miles Davis - Kinda Blue

A few to look for that should be had fairly cheap.....

Early John Klemmer on the Cadet and Impulse labels.
Eddie Harris releases on Atlantic Records.
Cal Tjader. Most all of his are good. The Prophet is an all time favorite of mine.

I've listened to a few snip its of these, thank you for the suggestions. Keep em coming.

Which ones are hitting the spot?
A little info on the ones that are working for you will help with further suggestions.
There are guys in the jazz playlist thread that will suggest a lifetime of great music. Might set your wallet on fire, though.:D

Which ones are hitting the spot?
A little info on the ones that are working for you will help with further suggestions.
There are guys in the jazz playlist thread that will suggest a lifetime of great music. Might set your wallet on fire, though.:D

I really liked Dave Brubeck, especially (Take Five) and that type of music.
Ocsar Peterson - Night Train
Ray Brown - Soular Energy

I so far, like the kind of jazz that has a beat or medley (maybe back to my classic rock taste). And not so much, jazz that is too slow, or seems to ramble with no beat. Not sure if that description makes sense or is clear.

Try to purchase the "Verve Jazz Box" (10 LP's)

This is a GREAT introduction into Jazz!!!

Attachments

• 115061737-3.jpg
    115061737-3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 23

I so far, like the kind of jazz that has a beat or medley (maybe back to my classic rock taste). And not so much, jazz that is too slow, or seems to ramble with no beat. Not sure if that description makes sense or is clear.

You like stuff that SWINGS!! :thmbsp:

You listen to the musicians who know how to swing, you'll love the ballad playing too.

And I think you meant that you like music that has a melody - or is melodic.

Sounds like you have GOOD TASTE!!

Going back to ballads, I mentioned Roy Eldridge in a earlier post. Here's a great video of him playing the ballad "I Can't Get Started".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRekDhnzw0

Now we're talking!

Check out This Here Is Bobby Timmons.:music:

here's where a jazz newbie should begin

the place to start for anyone just getting into jazz is:

antonio carlos jobim's album "wave"

this will turn you on and send you on your way

bossa nova!

Back
Top Bottom