Help me pick the right vintage Sansui Integrated!

toneriderMUC

Hello! Since years I am beating around the bush and now I finally want to pull the trigger and get a Sansui for my living room system. I am currently using a Luxman L210, before it was a Pioneer SA 8100. Both really nice, but there are so many amps out there.. you know the story ;-)

I am using a pair of Yamaha NS 690 II which I adore. They are very clean and neutral sounding so I use to pick rather warm sounding amps just for listening pleasure.

In general I really do not need the highest technical perfection. Music has to sound musical, has to sing. So if there is a sweet sounding, I usually like it :D

I listen to a lot of different styles, but mostly Classic Rock (Neil Young, Sabbath, Tom Petty,...), Rock (Foo Fighters, Porcupine Tree, etc etc), soft Pop, Stoner Rock and the occasional Metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden). No heavy electronic stuff.

I dont need top volumes and (ok ok also due to prices) I ruled out all the TOTL stuff.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices but have really trouble picking one:

AU 555A
+ is supposed to sound sweet and warm, might be a great match to my Yamahas
- might be too warm (bass heavy)
- might be not really suited for the heavier music styles

AU 777A
similar to 555A
- might be pricy

AU 517
+ is supposed to play deep and with authority
+ might also be a great match for my yammies
- might already sound too neutral for my taste

AU 6500 / 7500
+ supposed to be nice and the last series with the "old" Sansui sound
- same thoughts as for AU 555A

Do you have other ideas? I really appreciate your thoughts! Cheers!

Do you have a budget or a price range?

Yes. Depending on the condition 300-400€ max (I live in Germany). This should hopefully get me the above mentioned (maybe not the 777A), even though Sansui prices have reached insane levels...
I sure dont complain, when its less then 300... ;)

I think you should try to get an AU-517 - quite common, therefore (hopefully) reasonably priced, they have their problems but at least you don't have to change half the components to get a good sounding amplifier. Largely free of inherent problems, no big problems with finding up-to-date replacement parts, and I don't think it will sound too neutral. ;)

But it will require reconditioning, just not as extensive as the other models stated. :)

Last edited:
If you can stretch it a little, this would be a very nice amplifier that would go lovely with your Yamaha's.

It's currently on ebay Germany - Sansui AU-X901.
$_1.jpeg

Otherwise out of what you have mentioned, i would take the AU-517 but i once had 2 AU-6500 and for their simplicity they sounded very nice. I no longer have them due to having its big daddy... AU-9500

If you can stretch it a little, this would be a very nice amplifier that would go lovely with your Yamaha's.

It's currently on ebay Germany - Sansui AU-X901.
View attachment 845453

Otherwise out of what you have mentioned, i would take the AU-517 but i once had 2 AU-6500 and for their simplicity they sounded very nice. I no longer have them due to having its big daddy... AU-9500

oh, that is a little too high i am afraid.. And too young, I really like those old ones :)

So far you all tend to the 517.. Why would you chose that in favor of the 555A (restauration needs aside)?

The AU-517 is significantly more powerful, and quieter, maybe you should try and get a listen to both - and decide for yourself? (NB: I have never listened to any of the series like AU-555A, but have had a proper listen to an AU-517 and currently own an AU-717 - both of these amps known to sound good with rock music of all kinds).

I think you are right about the AU-X901, great though it is, it would not suit your particular requirements.

I have an Au-555a i recapped and switched out all noisy transistors in and all i can say is that it is the most musical unit i own! I have a hard time between deciding which main rig to use.... A restored Fisher 400 or the 555a..... The Fishers back in at the moment but I will always keep that little Sansui as its my first choice of backup!!
As a side note, the 555a makes an incredible preamp if you choose more components later..
Charles

I have an Au-555a i recapped and switched out all noisy transistors in and all i can say is that it is the most musical unit i own! I have a hard time between deciding which main rig to use.... A restored Fisher 400 or the 555a..... The Fishers back in at the moment but I will always keep that little Sansui as its my first choice of backup!!
As a side note, the 555a makes an incredible preamp if you choose more components later..
Charles

I would add my 2 cents to what Fuxtor says. And... I would add that the AU505 is even slightly better and more musical than the 555A. I think the difference is that they put more Mylar caps in the 505, and the 505 does not have a midrange control, which in the 555A, you cannot switch out of circuit, so even when at 0 (no boost/cut), phase effects are still happening.

The difference is subtle, but I think very real.

The real question with a low power amp is whether it is enough power. I have used the AU505/555A with many different speaker systems. The NS690 is about 90 db efficient. The real questions with these is how you use them. Do you tend to run your amp with the bass control turned up? And if so, how much? Do you play really loud? When you turn up the bass with any amp, you are increasing the power required from the amp, for the same overall loudness, by a large amount.

If you don't tend to boost the bass with the bass control, and only use the loudness switch for low level listening, then 20 watts will play very loud through a 90db efficient speaker. A couple examples.

I have a pair of B&W 802 S2 speakers which originally came with a bass boost preamp. Like many speakers from the 80's, before the Thiele/Small alignments were fully understood, these are mis aligned. I modified the alignment and they now have phenomenal low end without the booster. So I run them very flat. They are 90 db speakers. They are my critical listening speakers. The AU505/555A will play them as loud as I ever want to listen, with wonderful low end.

I also have a pair of Polk RT16's which have a very extended and pronounced low end, almost too much, also about 90db efficient. Same thing, the 505/555A is more than enough.

Don't get me wrong, these are not my only amps. Since I'm in the Sansui business, I have more amps going in and out of my listening room than you can imagine. I pretty much love them all, for one reason or another.

At my computer, I have a 555A, which I like cause I listen to political stuff sometimes, and the mid range control helps with poorly recorded audio, very common on the net. It plays through a couple EV Sentry 100A studio monitors from the 80's, and since I am about 2' from the speakers, even with the loudness control switched in, it's more than enough power.

This is called Near Field listening by the way. If you can ever find an EV Sentry 100A, they are a phenomenal little speaker that work very well for near field listening, or in a small room. We have 8 of them.

So, I would recommend the AU555A, and even more, the AU505, if you think they will be enough power. They are cheap enough when you can find one, that you can afford to get a first class restoration, with all electrolytics replaced, all signal path electrolytics upgraded to Mylar, and the two 1500uf output caps upgraded to at least 10,000uf. I promise you that you will love the result, and if eventually it is not enough power, you will keep it, and get something larger for your big listening room.

Last edited:
At my computer, I have a 555A, which I like cause I listen to political stuff sometimes, and the mid range control helps with poorly recorded audio, very common on the net. It plays through a couple EV Sentry 100A studio monitors from the 80's, and since I am about 2' from the speakers, even with the loudness control switched in, it's more than enough power.

This is called Near Field listening by the way. If you can ever find an EV Sentry 100A, they are a phenomenal little speaker that work very well for near field listening, or in a small room. We have 8 of them.

Nah ... THIS is near field listening ... <G>

system-january-2017.jpg

Sometimes confused with "in your face" listening and the ever popular "OMG, I think my sternum just cracked" listening. <G>

Another vote for the 517, if only for the IO. That also has a PRE OUT, so if you want more power or decide to bi-amp, just plug in an external amp.

PS ... one interesting feature of the 517 is the bridging switch for the pre out/amp in connections. Too many complaints about "non working" internal amps because somebody lost those? This also allows use of an external amp AND the internal amps to drive more speakers without having to use Y connectors. Anyway, if you DO get one, make sure that's set right.

Last edited:
Do you play records or digital sources? If records, the AU 6500 / 7500 have a nice undocumented feature in the phono EQ. There is a built-in deviation from the RIAA curve; it is a rise in bass response beginning at 160Hz increasing smoothly to +3.5dB by the time the curve is at 20Hz.

I only play records and have always loved the warm sound of my AU 6500.

Oh dear, thank you all so much!! This is exactly what I am going through - there are good reasons for each amp!! :D

But, the mentioning of getting a 505 cheap and get it recapped strings a chord. Although the 517 is tempting as well... :rockon:

As for your questions:
I do not need high listening volumes. I mostly listen low volume as walls are thin and neighbours sensitive... Bass is rather turned down than up. So I guess the smaller wattish amps should be alright. But, I also have say, having a high wattish amp just drives the Yamahas in a different way, even when listining low volume. it just has.. well... more authority. Or ist this just imagination?

Sources are both analog and digital: Vinyl, mp3 and even webradio (anyone know Radio Paradise? They at least stream in 320) and the occasial CD or Blu-Ray.

Do you play records or digital sources? If records, the AU 6500 / 7500 have a nice undocumented feature in the phono EQ. There is a built-in deviation from the RIAA curve; it is a rise in bass response beginning at 160Hz increasing smoothly to +3.5dB by the time the curve is at 20Hz.

I only play records and have always loved the warm sound of my AU 6500.

I see the 517 has TWO phono inputs, but it's just the single stage ... more of a convenience thing instead of allowing flexibility for MC or MM ...

I also have say, having a high wattish amp just drives the Yamahas in a different way, even when listining low volume. it just has.. well... more authority. Or ist this just imagination?

Not your imagination. Even at low listening levels, some music will push a system to recreate the dynamics. More watts = more authority when that happens. Keep in mind, power demand is a logarithmic thing ... the demand goes up exponentially, especially with bass, and especially true with low efficiency speakers.

Last edited:
I'd second the 505 as a great beginner amp. It will be the cheapest of the lot and get you started with one of the most musical sounding amps if you don't need nosebleed volume levels. Further more it is a simple amp should you want to restore / repair it yourself or have it done.

The 517 is really great bang for the buck in terms of how much hifi goodie you get. I've had two on my rig, one original, one recapped less tone board and filter caps. They are great authoritative sounding, with smooth and ample power. I used mine for A/V sources, - complex multilayed movie tracks, where it's speed and full Darlington output config seemingly pulled off more accuracy, power and realism in the soundscape, but for music I did find it a bit analytical or uninspiring, but that is just personal preference. You really can't go wrong.

Nah ... THIS is near field listening ... <G>

system-january-2017.jpg
Great picture. I bet your easy chair is in the middle of the room and there are two more big speakers about the same distance behind you, or maybe a little further. I see that big 9001 there and all those other off brand amps. I know those other amps don't really cut it, but nice to have them around.:banana:

Is than an old Dbx expander up on the upper right shelf below the stacked turntables? I had one of those a whole lifetime ago.

Anyway, Near Field is a very specific term in the pro audio world. It means monitoring and mixing just a couple feet from your speakers. Because you are in the near field, where the direct sound is much louder than the reflected room sound, you get a more exact version of what the speakers can deliver. It's also much more critical of monitors, because the room always tends to smooth out sound from the speakers. There are speakers that are designed purely for near field use. They may or may not sound good, when the room sound from them is part of the equation.

You don't play loud do you? :rflmao: :rockon:

. But, I also have say, having a high wattish amp just drives the Yamahas in a different way, even when listining low volume. it just has.. well... more authority. Or ist this just imagination?
I think the reason the high wattage amp has that sound is that they are flatter response to a lower frequency. You can get exactly that feeling with the 555A/505 with a careful rebuild, and increasing the size of the coupling caps between stages. This is the main reason for increasing the output caps to at least 10,000uf.

Okay, I think I am gonna aim for a nice 505 and get it rebuild with bigger output caps and everything. I actually once had a Sansui 5050 which I also liked a lot - really sweet sounding!

I also read about the possibility to even bypass those output caps with smaller ones - what is that about?

Back
Top Bottom