Help me pick the right vintage Sansui Integrated!

Alright, now it is getting interesting. I have the possibility to get a AU X901 in really good condition for 430€ here in Munich, I can just pick it up by car. I guess this is a must-buy.... :D

Alright, now it is getting interesting. I have the possibility to get a AU X901 in really good condition for 430€ here in Munich, I can just pick it up by car. I guess this is a must-buy.... :D

That's a really great price but be careful, make sure there's no issues with it. Even get them to take the top cover off to see the internals?
Very very nice amplifier & rare.
Is this the one on ebay?
I have the AU-x907 and love it.

That's a really great price but be careful, make sure there's no issues with it. Even get them to take the top cover off to see the internals?
Very very nice amplifier & rare.
Is this the one on ebay?
I have the AU-x907 and love it.

No, its not on ebay - seller is some kind of pawn shop and rather clueless. But I will be able to test it before I buy, so it should be alright.

So... finally a fellow Porcupine Tree fan here.
Grab that X901 from a clueless pawn shop.
I suppose they will part with it for even less. ;)

Last edited:
Soo. I didn't get the X901. I couldnt test it there and the seller said stuff like "its old, dont expect it to be new", "couldnt test it myself, but should be alright", so I decided its wiser not to pull the trigger. And I am glad, because now I have a much better plan :) :

I will get the AU 505 or 555A and give it a complete overhaul with increased output caps and other mods I read about here in numerous threads. I am really excited about it!

I will try to get the 555A, as I tend to read, that it is a bit better in terms of staging and overall headroom in comparison to the 505.
Although, if I have the chance to get a good condition, decent price 505, I might also get that one, since there's many people loving especially that one, too...

I donno,
After seeing smurfers 777a under glass I am kinda partial

4doNoXh.jpg

yeah, that one is plain HOT. But I havent seen a 777 for sale yet, at all...

Well, I am not going to argue with the previous comments about that particular 777A pictured a couple of posts back ;). Sadly the AU-777A are not so easy to come by (although they do pop up). The AU-777 pops up a bit too. They are still a bit under the radar, but that seems to be changing (should have kept my mouth shut!).

But really, so many of the amps mentioned here are outstanding machines. For me I do hear differences between the 505 and the 555A but they are small enough that I recommend choosing by non-audio criteria price, condition & styling preference. I could very happily live with either.... with a big grin on my face after a couple of updates.

I won't quote OP but will shout out to his mention of listening to Radio Paradise.

Me too!

Oh, its just fantastic! Most of the times, I can listen to it for hours without it getting annoying or anything. This is a really rare thing for a radio station. They just have great selected playlists.

I am now trying to get a decent 555A or 505. And boy, thats not an easy task. Currently there is a 555A for 359€ for sale on ebay. Thats insane! :crazy:

I just bought up a 517 off craigslist list and want to know if this amp is able to be bi-wire or bi-amped to a single set of speakers? I see there is an A + B setting on the selector dial but its not explicit in the manual. Otherwise I'm excited to pickup to pick up this classic piece of hardware! Is there anything else one should know about these amps?

I just bought up a 517 off craigslist list and want to know if this amp is able to be bi-wire or bi-amped to a single set of speakers? I see there is an A + B setting on the selector dial but its not explicit in the manual. Otherwise I'm excited to pickup to pick up this classic piece of hardware! Is there anything else one should know about these amps?

You can bi-wire for sure, please be aware that the A output is the same as the B output, just a second set of connectors on the rear panel.

Get the Au-555a. Sounds great once restored, punchy and lively. Plenty of bottom end authority.

Plus its fun and super easy to work on. Not so rare, plenty still around at a good price, looks good in its wood cabinet. Good resale value if you want to move on.

There is supposed to be a lot of performance difference between the 555a and a 777a. That is also probably reflected in price difference of the units. I have heard the difference between a 555a and a 999 - I owned both units. There was a difference in "refinement" to my ears - but who cares, for starting out the 555a is a beast.

I thought I'd give you an update here. I guess for now, my search is over. I found an all original AU 555A and liked it, although its in need of a thorough rebuild. I could have "settled" for that, if you say can that about something as beautiful as a 555a.

But, then I stumbled upon an Au X-701 for an incredible 230€. It is in pristine condition and plays like a young god. My search is over, this thing sounds SO GOOD! Liquid, detailed, transparent, powerful and always completely relaxed. Vinyl sounds fantastic and even Spotify is fun. And as much as I liked the 555A, this is in a different league.

MGXdVfz.jpg

So, thank you all for suggesting the X701/901 !!!! I would have never considered these!

I thought I'd give you an update here. I guess for now, my search is over. I found an all original AU 555A and liked it, although its in need of a thorough rebuild. I could have "settled" for that, if you say can that about something as beautiful as a 555a.

But, then I stumbled upon an Au X-701 for an incredible 230€. It is in pristine condition and plays like a young god. My search is over, this thing sounds SO GOOD! Liquid, detailed, transparent, powerful and always completely relaxed. Vinyl sounds fantastic and even Spotify is fun. And as much as I liked the 555A, this is in a different league.

So, thank you all for suggesting the X701/901 !!!! I would have never considered these!

Well played sir! Yes, I agree... a different league altogether! The Alphas are brilliant amps.

Back
Top Bottom