Help me (semi-newb) upgrade my system. (NOW evolving system thread).

I ran my 1.7s for awhile with different Heathkits - a pair of UA-1 monoblocks. I didn't forget about headroom for transients, either, as I had all I needed with 12 watts per channel. Not everyone is a headbanger, nor does everyone desire to play to the whole neighborhood. For those that are or do, get the big amp. ;)
Methinks you don't spend much time listening to live music. You cannot reproduce the sound of a symphony orchestra or an opera (let alone a rock concert) with 12 watts. So, no, I am not a "headbanger". I want to hear my music the way it was intended to be heard by the composers.

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=21470

Methinks you don't spend much time listening to live music. You cannot reproduce the sound of a symphony orchestra or an opera (let alone a rock concert) with 12 watts. So, no, I am not a "headbanger". I want to hear my music the way it was intended to be heard by the composers.

http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/viewtopic.php?t=21470
My old Klipschorn (copies) would make 116 dB from 12 watts, so been there, done that. I am quite satisfied with a smaller, even miniature presentation, and have no intention of trying to cram a symphony into my living room. To put it more bluntly, I don't give a flying **** about what the composers intended, nor about capabilities that I will not use. Insistent exhortations to others to satisfy one's own criteria are misplaced here, imo.

If I implied that you were a "headbanger", I apologize.

@rob Brandt What would you think about a Music Hall Mambo Class A as an integrated amp?
Although the idea of inexpensive class A is intriguing, I have never heard, nor heard of, the Music Hall Mambo.
What about something like a Hafler DH-220 and some pre-amp?
The Hafler DH-220 is a rugged amp with a beautiful sound. One in good shape would serve you well, I would think.

@rob Brandt What would you think about a Music Hall Mambo Class A as an integrated amp?
I like it for several reasons--beyond the bling factor. It's a good starting point. The pre section allows you to use your mac mini's optical out port. the 50 watts class A is better than 75 watts class B. Also, you can use the internal amp for tri-amping your speakers down the road. There are two ways to bi or tri amp--horizontal or vertical. Down the road you could buy another amp--say 100-150 watts and use the more powerful amp to drive the woofers horizontally and the 50 watts amp to drive the midrange and tweets vertically.

Part of this hobby is never being fully content--not really. Thus, I believe in building toward a goal which allows you to keep and maintain the base components while at the same time upgrading the system. Remember--the world's most expensive systems are actively bi or triamped. Even JBLs beloved Everest speakers ($75,000.00) are built with an idea of bi or even quad amping them. once you have the power, then you can play with speakers. I swap mine in and out every few years--storing the ones I am swapping out until I get bored with what I am listening to. I also swap amps in and out--but that's because they need to be used and not just gather dust.

I like it for several reasons--beyond the bling factor. It's a good starting point. The pre section allows you to use your mac mini's optical out port. the 50 watts class A is better than 75 watts class B. Also, you can use the internal amp for tri-amping your speakers down the road. There are two ways to bi or tri amp--horizontal or vertical. Down the road you could buy another amp--say 100-150 watts and use the more powerful amp to drive the woofers horizontally and the 50 watts amp to drive the midrange and tweets vertically.

Part of this hobby is never being fully content--not really. Thus, I believe in building toward a goal which allows you to keep and maintain the base components while at the same time upgrading the system. Remember--the world's most expensive systems are actively bi or triamped. Even JBLs beloved Everest speakers ($75,000.00) are built with an idea of bi or even quad amping them. once you have the power, then you can play with speakers. I swap mine in and out every few years--storing the ones I am swapping out until I get bored with what I am listening to. I also swap amps in and out--but that's because they need to be used and not just gather dust.
I think I am pulling the trigger on the Music Hall. I think it will be a decently versatile piece of gear.

And I did pull said trigger. Will be rebuilding around the Music Hall Mambo with my Dahlquists and a SONOS Connect. (EDIT: And my Macs). We will look into how I choose to connect my turntable for when I want to use that.

Last edited:
And I did pull said trigger. Will be rebuilding around the Music Hall Mambo with my Dahlquists and a SONOS Connect. We will look into how I choose to connect my turntable for when I want to use that.

Seems a nice choice. Had not been aware of it; had to look it up. Hope it works out well for you. Post some images, if you can.

Phono preamps--

when I began my journey back to analogue from digital, I too needed a phono preamp. I looked at prices, tubes, etc. My search led me to this little gem, the guy who loved them and rebuilt them. I bought it. thus began a five year long relationship with me buying and having gear shipped to him (Jeff Hand) and his brilliant abilities. This "phono preamp" is beautiful and will more than meet your needs. it will also allow you to start bi amping sooner.

http://www.audioreview.com/product/...60-solid-state-integrated-amp-circa-1975.html

Just a thought, but possibly a NuForce STA200 with a preamp/s of some sort?
I second this. This amp was part of a joint partner ship with Goldmund. For those who don't know, Goldmund makes some really, really nice stuff. Something to consider. As long as your speakers are somewhat efficient it will rock.

1A362D0F-DDF7-4B9F-9FE0-D1A1C6F12667.jpeg

Hope you are enjoying the Music Hall in your system with the Dahlquist 5s......should be a good match!

I have Dahlquist DQM-7s in my living room system driven by an Arcam Alpha 9 75w/ch integrated....and I get great sound!

I have seen some model DQM-7s that are 3-ways......but mine are 2-way.....like an upgraded DQM-5 with Magnat drivers and the 5 layer enclosures.

Dahlquists have high sensitivity and are very dynamic sounding speakers....so I didn’t quite understand the above recommendation for the Magnepans and all the discussion on high power stuff.

My main ProAcs don’t have the dynamics or effortless, well defined bass that my Dahlquist 9c or 7s have.

The small shortcomings of the Dahlquists......

They could have a cleaner, better defined top end.

The DQM-9c can sound a little honky through the midrange......

But......

Dahlquist does sell capacitor upgrade kits......something I am going to invest if I put the 9cs regularly in a system.

I am not sure why I haven’t bought the upgrade for the DQM-7s since I am using those in my living room system.

If you like your DQM-5s......you are probably on the right path staying in the family as you initially stated. And possibly do the same....upgrade the caps in the speakers to take advantage of the Music Hall.

Last edited:
View attachment 1349153 Hope you are enjoying the Music Hall in your system with the Dahlquist 5s......should be a good match!

I have Dahlquist DQM-7s in my living room system driven by an Arcam Alpha 9 75w/ch integrated....and I get great sound!

I have seen some model DQM-7s that are 3-ways......but mine are 2-way.....like an upgraded DQM-5 with Magnat drivers and the 5 layer enclosures.

Dahlquists have high sensitivity and are very dynamic sounding speakers....so I didn’t quite understand the above recommendation for the Magnepans and all the discussion on high power stuff.

My main ProAcs don’t have the dynamics or effortless, well defined bass that my Dahlquist 9c or 7s have.

The small shortcomings of the Dahlquists......

They could have a cleaner, better defined top end.

The DQM-9c can sound a little honky through the midrange......

But......

Dahlquist does sell capacitor upgrade kits......something I am going to invest if I put the 9cs regularly in a system.

I am not sure why I haven’t bought the upgrade for the DQM-7s since I am using those in my living room system.

If you like your DQM-5s......you are probably on the right path staying in the family as you initially stated. And possibly do the same....upgrade the caps in the speakers to take advantage of the Music Hall.
Thanks for the insights. You perceive correctly. I like the 5's. I also picked up cheaply a pair of m903's for at the office. Not NEARLY the speakers that the DQM-5's are, but sound pretty decent in my little office, especially after I hooked the Music Hall up to them to test it out, and let it warm up. It is going to match up with the DQM-5's nicely.

“I would like to have a good set of threeways, as I have never had a set of those.”

Be careful what you ask for, btw.

I often prefer my DQM-7s to my DQM-9cs.

3-ways often seem to have a more pronounced midrange....and can hear individual drivers more......sometimes a well designed 2-way is just more seemless.

My main speakers...the ProAc Studio 200s are a 2-way with 2 x 7” woofers and dome tweeter.

Last edited:
“I would like to have a good set of threeways, as I have never had a set of those.”

3-ways often seem to have a more pronounced midrange....and can hear individual drivers more......sometimes a well designed 2-way is just more seemless.

My main speakers...the ProAc Studio 200s are a 2-way with 2 x 7” woofers and dome tweeter.
Yes, I would like to listen and compare. I may get the chance to A/B a set of DQM-5's with a set of M907's (which are 3 ways) and will see what I think. Understanding of course that the 5's are not quite as nice as the 7's.

One other point. In my acoustic guitar hobby, I prefer the rosewood back and side sound which produces a "scooped" presence with nice throbby lows and clear, clean highs. Sound familiar? (At least I think of the Dahlquists that way). I do not like a mid range hump or honk. Same thing with the iconic Tubescreamer electric guitar pedal. Too much mid-range hump. I prefer a RAT circuit for distortion which is less mid-humpy. So therefore, I will be interested to hear the 3 way Dahlquists and see what I think, as compared to my well known DQM-5's.

Back
Top Bottom