Help me shop. Either integrated amp, or amp/preamp combo. Bang for buck.

sunvalleylaw

Addicted Member
Interested in a larger (over 100/side, more likely between 150 and 200 unless it is tube) pre-amp/power amp or integrated set up to drive something like the Dahlquist m907's or DQM-5/5c's. I recently purchased a Music Hall Mambo Class A (50w per side class A) which will form the basis for my office set up, ultimately, and would like something with similar characteristics but larger for my main system. Formerly, I was a Denon DRA guy, but in comparison with the Mambo, my Denons now sound overwarm, blanket-like, lacking in depth, detail and clarity, etc. Was considering a Marantz or similar, but would have to pay too much to get enough power, and think I might like a more detailed sound from what I have been reading about in discussions of the Marantz stuff. Seems like an amp is the way to go.

I would like something that would open up/control the larger speakers in a similar way that the Mambo does for my DQM-5's. New contenders would be something like the NAD 388 or the Rogue Sphinx. But I don't want to spend that much (nor would I be able to get spending authority for that much).

So, what can you guys recommend? Integrated is great but amp/preamp is ok.

In addition to the sound characteristics, I would enjoy (but not mandatory)

*either nice looking meters or some tube glow. For example, I liked the Proton pictured below in terms of looks, though wit would not perform the way I wanted.

*A few analog inputs, and maybe an optical (optional). But internal DAC is really optional.

*Phone stage would be nice.

*Budget would be total around $500-600. (could ultimately be bumped a little to add external DAC or phono stage)

*Vintage is fine if it works. Newer used is ok too. Such as my Music Hall. It is 13-14 years old, but not 30 years old.

46637880_10156717536452086_5590010887634157568_n.jpg

EDIT:

I also realize it is a balancing act, and that I may not get optical or other more modern features (that was intended to be an added bonus rather than requirement, if it were possible), and that the asks (rather than requirements) may not all be met.

Part of the point of the thread for me (I am going to put this up in the OP to be more clear) is to learn more about good clean used power and good options in used gear considering sound first, and bang for the buck, both older/vintage, and not as old, so I can start to keep my eyes open for options as I am out in the world and run across stuff. I sure appreciate learning from you all.

Frankly, if something existed that sounded like my Music Hall with a little more power, that would be really cool. But again, I will have to see what the m907's sound like with it if I get them. Perhaps the Music Hall is enough, then it is just a matter of getting something nice for the office to drive the DQM-5's. But humor me as I would love to learn about anyone's thoughts or suggestions. END EDIT.

Last edited:
Mebbe a Crown XLS 1500 or similar?

I mentioned Crown as it seems you're tired of let's say warmer sounding amps and looking for something with some balls. If this is the case then Crown might be just what you're looking for, just get what your wallet can support lol.

In another thread, someone suggested a Heathkit A1640?

Another thought was a NuForce STA200 with some pre-amp. But that might start to be out of budget.

I put a $250 used power amp in my "giant-killer for $5K" thread post, but it would not meet your stated criteria. My sense is you would not really need 200 watts of class A or tube power to do what you want. I would try putting the Mambo in your home system to see if it satisfies your power and sound requirements, and lower those requirements if it does. Because now you are really into "found a Krell at Goodwill" territory. My best guess at getting what you say you want, cheap, would be vintage Luxman, but my sense is that even a lucky find or two would take twice your budget, or more. New class A Luxman in your wattage is not available, and what is costs $6-12K.

You still might be pleasantly surprised at my suggested Promitheus TVC preamp and Hafler power amp combo, for around $750-800 shipped, but no meters, no tubes, no class A, and no digital. Maybe Emotiva or pro gear would do it for you, too - I have no idea.

I can't tell exactly what model Proton that is in the pic, but a Proton D-1200 (which I have owned and temporarily paired with DQ-10's) performed more than adequately. I sold the whole Proton rig (amp/preamp) and the DQ-10's--not because I didn't like them (individually or together), I just had way too much stuff at the time. For "eye candy" big meters, I kept my DBX CX-3 and a pair of DBX BX-3 amps (I also have matching TX-3 tuner and DX-5 CDP).

I put a $250 used power amp in my "giant-killer for $5K" thread post, but it would not meet your stated criteria. My sense is you would not really need 200 watts of class A or tube power to do what you want. I would try putting the Mambo in your home system to see if it satisfies your power and sound requirements, and lower those requirements if it does. Because now you are really into "found a Krell at Goodwill" territory. My best guess at getting what you say you want, cheap, would be vintage Luxman, but my sense is that even a lucky find or two would take twice your budget, or more. New class A Luxman in your wattage is not available, and what is costs $6-12K.

You still might be pleasantly surprised at my suggested Promitheus TVC preamp and Hafler power amp combo, for around $750-800 shipped, but no meters, no tubes, no class A, and no digital. Maybe Emotiva or pro gear would do it for you, too - I have no idea.
First, thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate it. Next, really, digital could be totally optional. And yes, I don't think I would need 200w of Class A or Tube. That NAD c388 and Rogue Sphinx are just high water marks to shoot at. And the NAD is not class A, and the Rogue is hybrid.

WRT to optical input or internal DAC, as a practical matter, I have DAC's in my main outputs already that work well enough. (Apple computers, SONOS) and really would just need a phono pre-amp included. Right now, with the Music Hall, I don't have that so will need to get a phono stage anyway.

I agree, with the DQM-5's, my Music Hall has me fully covered. Probably the best way to go about this is to test my proposed new speakers (Dahlquist m907's) with the Music Hall and see. Then I could decide on the best way to go for both the office and home main systems.

I also realize it is a balancing act, and that I may not get optical (that was intended to be an added bonus rather than requirement, if it were possible), and that the asks (rather than requirements) may not all be met.

Part of the point of the thread for me (I am going to put this up in the OP to be more clear) is to learn more about good clean used power and good options in used gear both older/vintage, and not as old, so I can start to keep my eyes open for options as I am out in the world and run across stuff. I sure appreciate learning from you all.

@sqlsavior edited just now.

Last edited:
Save up some more dough, and pounce when you find a decent deal on an amp/combo that represents a real upgrade.
Thanks. The trick is learning about what those are. Right now, the options that seem closest to the NAD C388 and Rogue I mentioned above would seem to be the NAD c 372 used maybe. I am not seeing something used that is like the Rogue Sphinx that is not nearer to full price than I am ready to pay. If you have some other int. amps/combos for me to learn about, I would love to hear about them or even just their names so I can go research them.

Thanks. The trick is learning about what those are. Right now, the options that seem closest to the NAD C388 and Rogue I mentioned above would seem to be the NAD c 372 used maybe. I am not seeing something used that is like the Rogue Sphinx that is not nearer to full price than I am ready to pay. If you have some other int. amps/combos for me to learn about, I would love to hear about them or even just their names so I can go research them.

My point is think bigger, save up your money and really step up when you make a move. At your current budget I agree with you that you are not now ready to pay for this type of upgrade. My suggestion is to make fewer, bigger changes over time. A paradigm shift in your thinking. Of course, it requires delayed gratification and patience, especially when waiting for an opportunity buy.

Would saving up for a NAD C375BEE be a worthy goal?

Or an Outlaw Audio RR2150 or 60?

I think saving up for anything would be a rewarding goal. Let me provide an example:

A couple years, or so, ago, I decided to save up for a nice pair of walnut Klipsch Cornwalls, thinking somewhere around a grand would do the trick. Since it is a large, heavy speaker, I was watching for a pair to pop up locally. The only pair I saw were not walnut and were beaten up badly. Time dragged on as I continued to save, and I sold a few things - nothing too pricey - and the kitty kept growing. I began to think I'd eventually be able to buy a pair of Cornwall 3, the way it was going.

A pair of Klipschorns, refinished and handsome, popped up a hundred miles away, and I bought them at a price approaching three grand. However, my room proved to be a poor match for the speakers, so I sold them for just over three grand, and wound up subsequently purchasing the amp, speakers and subwoofers listed in my sig below. Best-sounding system I have ever owned.

So saving up, while keeping an eye out for a good buy and being flexible about your intent is, in my view, just a better way to go. Sometimes I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket, myself, so I get that some can't do this, and others simply don't want to spend more, anyway. It's just another way to go that can yield great benefits. One of which is knowing you can exert some self-control sometimes. :)

So on your way to a Rogue or an NAD, you might find yourself procuring a good used McIntosh or something.

Okay. Frankly, another one that created interest was the Line Magnetic I heard at Gig Harbor Audio driving the Chartwells there. So okay, point taken.

/thread.

(EDITED after Musichal's like). In ending the thread, I think I will use this thread as a listing place for amps/combos I am interested in, and interested in saving for, with the noted flexibility understood. I will just come back and edit this post to add possibilities as I learn about them.

So far, my list would include (no order of priority):

NAD C388/C375BEE/C372
Line Magnetic LM 805IA
Outlaw Audio RR2150 or 60
Some McIntosh (there is a dealer in town, and you never know, an estate sale or similar could happen)
Rogue Sphinx variant
Music Hall variant
Krell variant

Class A or AB would be a target range, but the right amp that was not could also qualify, such as the Rogue Sphinx hybrid which includes Class D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom