Help Me Use My Amazon Gift Card

Ha, talk about serendipity... Look what just followed me home from Goodwill:

Whats-Going-On-Sony-PS-X55.jpg

So, cross this one off my list. I almost hate to admit that I just paid $14.99 (a full 3x my previous high) for a used record at Goodwill, but I really wanted this title and really had no desire for the extras that come with the 4x Super Deluxe version (or the >$65 price tag). The vinyl is in absolutely new condition. I seriously doubt it's ever been played (until right now as I'm typing this). The spindle hole is a REALLY tight fit. The jacket is in mint- condition. This is the 2012 180g reissue. I actually counted the tracks on Side 2 before I bought it to make sure it wasn't one of the 2017 miss-pressings with the Baby Driver soundtrack on Side 2. The vinyl is dead quiet (again, doubt it's ever been played before).

So, I'm good on this one. I would have never dreamed I'd find something like this, in this condition, at Goodwill. But then, the Yamaha A-1000 amp, the Sony PS-X55 turntable, the Signet TK10ML cartridge, the plate/album holder and even the Made in Denmark teak mini-credenza (EVERYTHING in that photo) also came from Goodwill. That's the beauty of Goodwill hunting, you never know what new treasure you're going to find.

Nice score, its Karma.
If you like 60's rock roll Friday Music has a re master on vinyl The Best of The Lovin' Spoonful. It's killer and sounds uber.

Nice score, its Karma.
If you like 60's rock roll Friday Music has a re master on vinyl The Best of The Lovin' Spoonful. It's killer and sounds uber.

Thanks, I don't have that one, but you just caused me to pull out my copy of So Nice I bought new when it came out in 1979. I honestly don't remember ever playing it and it indeed looks unplayed. Something I plan to remedy tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm currently listening to this one for the first time (even though I've had it in my possession since Memorial Day). This one will remain in the rotation. It came out in 1976! How have I not heard it until now? I feel like some uncultured hick that has been living under a rock for the last 42 years. Thanks for helping expand my musical horizons! Great stuff!

Super-Ape-Sony-PS-X55.jpg

Glad to have remedied the situation. :) I did check out your Memorial Day thread and saw that your copy of Super Ape was still in its cellophane. Impressive find! My favorite track is Patience.

OK, I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my Amazon gift card. As previously mentioned, I decided to go for the 2008 180g reisssue of Moondance by Van Morrison. It was originally priced at $22.76, but was out of stock. The price then went up to $35.99, still out of stock. I was ready to give up, but checked again today and now it's back to $22.76. Won't be in stock until the 3rd, but I pulled the trigger while it was priced agreeably.

I also got Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie, the original 2008 pressing on the Barsuk label. Many die hard Death Cab for Cutie fans don't like this album for some reason, but they are one of my favorite current bands (I've seen them live three times) and some of my favorite songs are on this album. I already have Transatlanticism (the original 2003 issue), Plans and Kintsugi on vinyl. All sound great. So, I figured it was time to add Narrow Stairs. Plus, at $17.58 its pretty affordable for a new album.

I rounded out my order with a tube of Technics spindle oil for $9.70 to keep my tables spinning freely (two drops every 2000 hours, I should be good for many years to come).

Other albums I considered were Sea Change by Beck and Let it Bleed by the Rolling Stones. I already have both of these on SACD. So, decided to hold off for now. I also considered the Lumineers S/T debut album, but it gets horrible reviews for surface noise, which is sad because it comes with a hype sticker that claims it was specifically mastered for vinyl. What's the point of mastering it for vinyl if you're going to go press it poorly? I was very disappointed in the reviews as this is another band I've seen live and their style of music should sound great on vinyl, but one weak link in the chain can severely degrade the entire experience. Bummer. I guess I'll just watch for future pressings that hopefully fix the surface noise issue. For now I'll just keep playing the CD as it, sadly, seems to be the best option.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Just to recap, in addition to the two albums mentioned here, I also picked up Violator by Depeche Mode and Plans by Death Cab for Cutie using a Barnes & Noble gift card (plus 20% off one item, plus 10% off all vinyl, coupon codes) and an unplayed copy of What's Going On by Marvin Gaye (2012 180g reissue) for $14.99 at my local Goodwill. I'm quite happy to be able to get these five excellent titles to add to the five I got back on Black Friday (see first post in this thread for details).

Well, this is not turning out how I'd hoped it would. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs arrived yesterday morning. I immediately put it on, excited to hear how it sounds on vinyl. Short answer - like crap. First, it was badly warped, but in a weird way. Rather than the usual cupping type if warp, it was wavy. The outer edge looked like a sine wave when it was spinning. Although I have other albums with a much larger amount of warpage, the short, but steep, warps of this one wanted to lift my cartridge out of the grooves. Kudos to the Signet. It hung in there, but there was an audible thump coming through the speakers as it bottomed out after every warp.

If that wasn't bad enough, there was a weird looking patch, looked almost metallic, about the size of a quarter, in the first track. With every revolution, there was a scratching/screeching sound as the stylus passed through this patch. I cleaned the album before the first play, but this "patch" would not come off and looked like whatever it was, was embedded in the vinyl. This is the first time I ever worried about playing a BRAND NEW RECORD with my most valuable cartridge/stylus.

In addition to these defects, the overall surface noise was nearly as bad as my Cure Greatest Hits picture disk. That kind of surface noise can be expected with a picture disk, but is unacceptable on a conventional pressing. Very, very disappointed. This is easily the worst sounding pressing of any new record I have ever purchased. I didn't even make through the second track on the album, before I shut it off and started a return claim with Amazon. An hour later, I dropped the package off at my local UPS Store. At least Amazon makes the return process relatively painless.

And, it gets worse...

Oh well, I thought, "at least I have the 2008 Van Morrison - Moondance reissue, that gets highest acclaim as a GREAT pressing, on the way". It was supposed to arrive today, and I was looking forward to hearing it. So, I checked the tracking info 15 minutes ago, to see if it was almost here. Well, it made it as far as Portland, and then this happened:

upload_2019-1-6_12-23-5.png

No wonder Van looks so sad. I am too!

Wow! 0-2. Just when I was really getting used to ordering albums online, and until now, all had arrived safely. I have had multiple good experiences with Barnes & Noble and Acoustic Sounds, and even had a previous good experience with Amazon, but after this, I wont be ordering any more from them. In fact, my Prime membership will be expiring on the 18th and I wont be renewing as I wont be ordering any more albums from them. It's just not worth the hassle. I have too many other options - many independent local record stores, plus a Barnes & Noble nearby that has a full music department with a great selection of new vinyl and what they don't have on hand, I can order online. Because I am a member, I get frequent coupon codes from them for both in store and online purchases. So, buh-bye Amazon.

Moondance is out of stock again and won't be back in stock until January 16. Hopefully, it won't get destroyed in shipping again. It would be nice to get my Christmas present before Valentine's Day.

I'm being facetious, but it's Amazon's own fault. They have conditioned me to expect things to show up within 24 - 48 hours of placing an order with my Prime account.

It finally arrived and it was worth the wait:

Moondance-Shure-M32-E.jpg

This album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. I could not be more happy with my purchase. Absolutely stunning.

I finally got around to using the $17.58 credit for the return of Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie. I put that credit toward this:

EAGLES hell freezes over
Hell-Freezes-Over-3.jpg

Hell-Freezes-Over-1.jpg

Hell-Freezes-Over-2.jpg

So, I went a little over budget, but in the end, it was worth it. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the two records I got: Van Morrison - Moondance and The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over. The sound quality and performances on both are amazing.

Last edited:
You made two excellent choices. I have been chacing a copy of Van Morrison's Moondance for a while now with little success. Enjoy them and...
ROCKON!!!!!!

Wow... spam in a "New And Creative Format"? I wouldn't click on that link with my mother-in-law's computer...

Back
Top Bottom