Help Me with Safely Wiring Two Amps to One Subwoofer (lots of silly pictures)

DigitalZomby

I posed this question in another sub-forum but I think it's more appropriate here.

Equipment involved:
Onkyo TS-dx676 home theater receiver.
Yamaha CA 810 integrated amp.
Polk PSW125 Subwoofer.

Goal:
I want to be able to use the Yamaha for music listening, and use the Onkyo for movie watching, but have the subwoofer hooked up and running from both amplifiers.

Here's how things are currently wired up.
eUrCo91.jpg

As you can see I have a pair of floor standing speakers (B) that I use for music listening, and a 3-channel set of satellite speakers (A) that I use for movie watching. Obviously I only use one set at a time.

I just purchased the Yamaha unit for better quality music listening. This is what I would hook the floor standing speakers to. My only issue is I'm trying to find the safest and most efficient way to run the subwoofer off of both amplifiers.

Here's a picture of the back of the Onkyo
RhUxcQ5.jpg

and here's the back of the Yamaha
bR2BD1A.jpg

The back of the Polk
nqDF8gO.jpg

And finally here's how I think I should be wiring it up.
oN0xGmD.jpg

If this is incorrect, please please PLEASE someone let me know before I blow something up.

If you use Tape out to run into the sub, you would have no control over the volume of the sub when you use the Yamaha as a source. Your way should work but you will have to leave the Yamaha on all the time. If you are only going to use the Yamaha as an amp, then tape out will work.

Last edited:
If you don't mind using the Onkyo as a preamp for the Yamaha you can leave the sub (and all sources) connected to it and use the pre out (Onkyo) to main in (Yamaha) and switch off the A speakers on the Onkyo when using the towers.

I'm not seeing a HT Bypass on either unit. I don't think it's wise attempt to wire the two units to one sub.

I'm not seeing a HT Bypass on either unit. I don't think it's wise attempt to wire the two units to one sub.
:dammit:

Really? There's more to this stuff?

So the way I have the proposed wiring diagram, what are the negative effects I'm looking at by going this route and not using a piece of equipment with a feature I don't have?

The way you show it is okay, but you will have to adjust the subwoofer separately (by the Yamaha v/c) when you turn the Onkyo up or down for HT. :sigh:

The way you show it is okay, but you will have to adjust the subwoofer separately (by the Yamaha v/c) when you turn the Onkyo up or down for HT. :sigh:

Okay. That sounds mildly annoying.

Is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

Obviously I can't use two different input methods on the Polk, because that would make things easy.

Do you intend to use the Yamaha as a receiver or just as an amp? Need to know that to figure out the best way to hook it up.

The best option is to sell both receivers and buy one modern AVR. $300-400 will do the job if you buy 3-5 years old unit. How about Denon 3808?

Okay. That sounds mildly annoying.

Is there a better way to accomplish my goal?

Obviously I can't use two different input methods on the Polk, because that would make things easy.

Repeating myself:
If you don't mind using the Onkyo as a preamp for the Yamaha you can leave the sub (and all sources) connected to the Onkyo and use the front L & R pre out (Onkyo) to main in (Yamaha) and switch off the A speakers on the Onkyo when using the towers.

From the Polk PSW125 manual:
CONNECTING THE SUBWOOFER TO THE SYSTEM
—HOOK UP OPTIONS Important Note:Use only one of these options. Never combine hook up options

Do you intend to use the Yamaha as a receiver or just as an amp? Need to know that to figure out the best way to hook it up.

I wanted to use the Yamaha for just the turntable, and maybe the CD player & computer music playback if it sounds better. Basically the Yamaha would power the 2 floor standing speakers, and the Onkyo would be my 3.1 movie watching setup.

Repeating myself:
If you don't mind using the Onkyo as a preamp for the Yamaha you can leave the sub (and all sources) connected to the Onkyo and use the front L & R pre out (Onkyo) to main in (Yamaha) and switch off the A speakers on the Onkyo when using the towers.

From the Polk PSW125 manual:
CONNECTING THE SUBWOOFER TO THE SYSTEM
—HOOK UP OPTIONS Important Note:Use only one of these options. Never combine hook up options

I bought the Yamaha specifically for its phono section, so if I'm using the Onkyo as a preamp then that eliminates that possibility, no?

I think I'm over complicating this.

What if I plugged the Tape Out of the Yamaha into the Tape In of the Onkyo, and left the sub plugged into the Sub Out of the Onkyo?

I imagine I'd still have to use the v/c of the Onkyo to control the sub when listening to music, but that desire is bound to fluctuate less than when watching a movie.

This would work, wouldn't it? And I wouldn't even have to buy weird RCA Y-Adapters?

Yes, and you would have remote control (?) over the sub level.

RCA Y adapters are not weird.

"I bought the Yamaha specifically for its phono section, so if I'm using the Onkyo as a preamp then that eliminates that possibility, no?"

Edit: You should be able to use the tape out to source in for phono (sound quality?), sorry I didn't see this information in your previous posts/pictures.

Last edited:
The only problem with this is you will be driving the speakers with the Onkyo and hence listening to music through it. My experience has been that digital receivers add a bunch of low level garbage to the signal. I wouldn't listen to music with one but if you are happy with it, carry on.

The only problem with this is you will be driving the speakers with the Onkyo and hence listening to music through it. My experience has been that digital receivers add a bunch of low level garbage to the signal. I wouldn't listen to music with one but if you are happy with it, carry on.

I'm driving the subwoofer and the 3 channel set of speakers for movie watching with the Onkyo. The Yamaha drives the two floor standing speakers for music. That's why I bought it :music:

Back
Top Bottom