[HELP] My right studio monitor is louder than my left (JBL 4312A). Any ideas why?

Sorry for the newb question, but how accessible are the trim pots?

Should be a couple of little knobs located near the top of the speaker?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4312.jpg
    4312.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 38
Put your ear in front of the midrange and tweeter and listen for any sound. Adjust the level controls and see if that changes the output, or if the speaker cuts-out. The pots may be dirty/bad....The woofer will have the loudest output.

I had one speaker louder than the other.
I try to keep them similarly "balanced" at the speaker end and make adjustments at the amp end.
IOW--for example, mid range and treble speaker pots both set to "12:00" on both speakers.
One day I checked their adjustment range of play.
Imagine my surprise when checking the mid adjustments I found out 12:00 on one speaker equaled about 1 or 1:30 on the other. At some point the one knob had changed position. One speaker was getting more midrange than the other.
So I turned them both back to "0" and made sure the little arrows were in the same position on each speaker. That brought the side to side audio balance back to equal.

Some really good responses from many of you. Thank you very much.

I'll check the trim pots and woofer terminal connections and see where we are from there.

I just got these 4312s a week and a half ago. Cosmetically, they are in VG+ condition. I'm really hoping that this is just something minor and not something that I'm going to have to put a lot of major coin into repairing. If so, I guess my decent deal wasn't so decent, afterall. But I'll just remain optimistic for now and hope it's something relatively minor.

Will report back with my findings. Thanks again.

"....hope it's something relatively minor." Keep in mind that whatever it ends up being, it's fixable. Great speakers - much easier than, saying, a high end amp that has a channel starting to fail and having to deal with that. Such good talent here at AK that
they'll have your back so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom