HELP! Need some suggestions!

Hey there! I am looking for a set of headphones to use at my desk. I listen to mostly metal and appreciate headphones a little on the bassier side and ones where the treble isn't too bright - those cymbals can kill me if they are. Price range of only 100-150 USD, prefer over ear and I'm impartial to open or closed back. Thanks for the suggestions

I'd avoid the Beyer 770s and 990s if you are sensitive to highs. The 880s are pretty awesome. They all have a bit of a plump bottom end. If you look around (including used in perfect condition/demo/return type stuff on Amazon) you can find 880s for under $150. They'd be at the top of my suggestion list for a metalhead that liked bass and was sensitive to overly harsh highs. Be careful as there are about 5 or 6 versions of the 880s. There are Pros and Premiums and 32, 250 and 600 OHM versions. There are differences in how they sound but if you won't be using a dedicated headphone amp, I'd stick with the 32 Ohm version.

You could probably do worse than the Audio Technica ATH-M40x as well. The M50x has just a pinch more bass. I prefer to use aftermarket terry cloth earpads with my M50s. If I were to buy them today, I'd save a few $$$ and go with the M40x. These have a more scooped sound compared to the Beyer 880s. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing with metal and hard rock.

I'd avoid the Beyer 770s and 990s if you are sensitive to highs. The 880s are pretty awesome. They all have a bit of a plump bottom end. If you look around (including used in perfect condition/demo/return type stuff on Amazon) you can find 880s for under $150. They'd be at the top of my suggestion list for a metalhead that liked bass and was sensitive to overly harsh highs. Be careful as there are about 5 or 6 versions of the 880s. There are Pros and Premiums and 32, 250 and 600 OHM versions. There are differences in how they sound but if you won't be using a dedicated headphone amp, I'd stick with the 32 Ohm version.

You could probably do worse than the Audio Technica ATH-M40x as well. The M50x has just a pinch more bass. I prefer to use aftermarket terry cloth earpads with my M50s. If I were to buy them today, I'd save a few $$$ and go with the M40x. These have a more scooped sound compared to the Beyer 880s. That's isn't necessarily a bad thing with metal and hard rock.

I went with the M40x's - what a fantastic suggestion! I got a pair of angled memory foam pads to throw on there as well and they sound and feel fantastic. Highs are detailed and clear without being harsh at all and the bass is there, punchy and accurate. Appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom