1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed safely removing button membrane

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by onanysunday, Apr 21, 2017.

1. onanysunday

onanysunday AK Subscriber Subscriber

Insane in the membrane! I am trying to remove the faceplate on my amp to recap one of the boards behind it and came across this muting button that needs to be removed in order to get the plate off and access the board underneath. The button appears to be held in place or mounted with a very supple clear silicone or rubber plug. So far, I've just been able to remove all the knobs on the faceplate by pulling them straight off, but this one is different. I tried pulling it straight off like the others, but it didn't give and just strettcchheedd. Since it appears very rubbery and soft, I don't want to damage or tear it by ripping it straight off. Any help or recommendations how to get this membrane off safely?

_member_ 2.jpg

insaneinthemembrane.jpg

2. onanysunday

According to this second photo, it looks like I have lots of room to get in behind there and pry if off from behind, but it's really just a camera trick and is hard to get in behind it..

3. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

If it's the kind I think it is, you need to squeeze the button as you pull it so that it pulls off the plastic armature that supports the rubber without stretching the rubber.

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Yes, it 'looks like' you could get a pair of snipe nosed pliers in there to prevent damage to the switch 'action' while you apply force to pull off the button. Or apply pressure in between the spring retaining flange (white plastic) and the button itself (black plastic). A quick squirt of WD40 into the inside of the button might help?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. onanysunday

Got it, depress upper and lower notches in the button shell and slowly pull straight off with some force.