Help needed- Sansui 9001

^^^Good pics. I'll add a artistic shot of (one) of my own. One of the best looking receivers Sansui ever made IMO. Working on one, however, could make a monk cuss a blue streak. It doesn't get high marks for serviceability, in constrast to some Sansui gear that was fairly well thought out. Getting to some stuff for repairs is downright nasty. But, it's totally worth the tooth grinding frustration.
Yes it is quite a beast to behold when the the top comes off. I’m only going to replace the caps, fusible resistors and OP’s on driver boards. If that doesn’t fix my problem, it’s going to my tech to fix. I have to drive 2 and half hours but this guy is amazing. His father was a tech and started teaching him at like 8 years old. It’s the only job he has ever had except he also taught electronics at a college for awile. But this is one receiver that deserves to be brought up to the level of performance it was meant to be at. Side note- I have been extremely lucky on gear the past year. This Sansui now gives me 3 Monster receivers in my collection I found all 3 in the last year-Sansui 9001, Kenwood KR-9400- and Realistic 2200D and I’m into all 3 for less than 100 bucks combined. Right place at the right time I guess

3 biguns for under $100? Didn't think a streak like that was possible in 2018 with the way vintage gear has gotten such an obsessed following (and the effect of *that* auction site inflating prices wildly). I almost hate to admit it but I bought my first 9001 in 1996 for $25, not working due to the dreaded failure of the vias on the double sided quad board. This one even had the rivets.

Took me over a year to figure out what was wrong, and then only by mere accident: I was probing and pressing on the affected board with the unit on, when suddenly channels started ro return to working condition as I flexed the bad solder joints. And to think I was about to give up on that one.

1996-97 being the relative infancy of the civilian internet, there was almost nothing posted online about these at the time, save for a few sparse and scattered usenet postings. In the time I took me to find the problem myself, I bought two more, both for under $150 each, and both with the same problems. Fixed all three myself, then went on to buy and repair two more still and even later a QRX-999. Still have all but one of those in the "family collection".

Now,, information on these is ubiquitous, and guys like the late Jim Showker (QRXrestore) have elevated the restoration to a high art form. Everything one needs to know to repair these is well documented, if one is comfortable doing the work themselves. And, there are capable techs who took on the task of doing the work as well for the uninitiated.

The best part, in my mind, is that these ride again and are being enjoyed by many fans, old and new. We will never again see the likes of such hardware being made, so preserving what exists is the only way to continue the legacy of such exceptional audio technology.

well parts came in and I got started done with the resistors and caps but i have not messed with the TR 1-4 or TR 5 and 6, but fr fun I wanted ti check so i put boards in and it would not come out of protection. If I remove the right side board it comes out of protection but still not a sound out of speaker. Ill replace transistors tomorrow

Im going backwards. Now Im not getting any sound from headphones/ tried several pair to make sure it wasnt headphones. Meters working but nothing from speakers or headphones. I know to unplug headphones to hear speakers. Im going to start over checking the things I have done so far but any direction would be helpful. Im not to proud to ship this to a tech more experinced than me, but Im not ready to give up just yet. Thanks for any assistance offered

just to clarify, with one board in it will come out of protection bu no sound at all, including headphones. meters work as does all lights but no sound anywhere. Why did I lose the sound in headphones?

1, Check all power supply voltages
2, Check all Power transistors
3, Check all known problem resistors
4, Check the driver transistors
5, Check all connections
6, Check for output from the amplifier on the amp side of the relay.
7, Set Bias and DC offset

I would have thought if it had one board out it would still be in protection. But i can't remember to be honest...

Fuses all good?

1, Check all power supply voltages
2, Check all Power transistors
3, Check all known problem resistors
4, Check the driver transistors
5, Check all connections
6, Check for output from the amplifier on the amp side of the relay.
7, Set Bias and DC offset

I would have thought if it had one board out it would still be in protection. But i can't remember to be honest...

Fuses all good?
I will check all those after work today. Fuses all good. As far as one board out, I hear the relay 2 to 3 seconds after power up. When I install second board, no relay. I took measurements of voltages at the bottom of the board that the 2 driver boards connect to on all the pin connections. The last 8 pins on one side had + or - 42volts where the other side had no voltages on these pins except for 2 of them. I ran out of time at that point but I will investigate more this afternoon. Still dont know why I lost headphones if they are wired before protection.

After seeing that, I remember running into one at a flea market. It was offered at $35, but I could not see me trying to carry it out alone; so I passed. What a beast.

Back
Top Bottom