Help needed with Executive console please

inthefade

AK Member
I went to an estate sale not expecting this console to still be there. Well it was and I own it now. It's a 64 Executive with I believe a 500-c and a garrard turntable. It had an option for a reel to reel but the fellow opted for record storage instead.

What I really need help with is removing the 500-c and the garrard so I can move the console with a appliance dolly. Can someone help please? The last thing I want to do is break or destroy something.

Pictures are at the estate sale
IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1925.JPG IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1908.JPG

Edited to add another picture

Last edited:
The turntable is fairly easy. If you can get access to the bottom side, you'll find two flip-clips on the bottom of the two screws that are visible on the top. Flip those so they point vertical and the table will lift right out of the hole. You'll have to unplug the connectors on the bottom as well.

Backup plan, you can lock the table down and just move it that way. Back those two screws out, and it will pull the turntable down tight to the cabinet for transport.

500C, iunno.

Nice piece though, I like that cabinet.

Is THAT A POLKA RECORD on the Turntable??????? The one I've got now came with one and Buglegirl still has it (I think!)

It's an 800c not a 500c. In the back along the sides of the 800c are two cleats that screw into the console from the top. The cleats are attached to the 800c by screws underneath. The cleats will come out with the unit. (Do me a favor please. Write down the serial # of the 800c (on the top of the chassis near the front (you'll see the BIRD and other spec's) and post it in the thread. This will help with my EXECUTIVE Database. Thanks

Continuing on...........Take out the screws. Pull the knobs off the 800c, and loosen and remove the two nuts holding the faceplate on to the unit. Disconnect all the wires in back, AFTER YOU'VE taken at least a 1/2 dozen pictures from multiple angles and have gotten all wires to the 800c. Once everything is disconnected slide the 800c OUT OF THE BACK! Installation is reverse of removal.

Just lock the turntable and tape down the tonearm. Easier that way and it won't contribute to the weight much. Lift up the turntable end and remove the feet, then Flip it on that side with the turntable on the bottom. Take off the remaining feet. Strap it down and haul a**. Then when you get it home make sure you've got 2-3 guys from the local H-S football or weight lifting team. Do NOT Flip it back down with the feet on it. Lay it flat and have 2 of them lift up one end and attach the feet. Then do the other end.

The Modern cabinet is about 50#'s less than an Italian Provincial. I yanked mine from the basement, around the house (up a hill on the side) to the trailer with a hand-truck and a couple blankets and straps. Then up 4 large Marble steips into a long narrow Townhouse in the city. FUN STUFF!

Pad the blade of the Hand truck with blanket or two coming all the way up the truck. The top will be in contact with the blankets. If you have a trailer, load it all in one piece and strap it down multiple directions. Once you get the 800c out, put the faceplate back on, using the nuts, and attaching the knobs. This goes in back seat facing FWD, and with a seat belt around it. The seat belt won't scratch the front panel, and will keep the probability of it flying around in a crash low.

I'll swap ya my '63 Italian Provincial Executive. It even has the correct AMPEX R2R in it. :D (Just kidding about the swap).

Larry

Last edited:
The turntable is fairly easy. If you can get access to the bottom side, you'll find two flip-clips on the bottom of the two screws that are visible on the top. Flip those so they point vertical and the table will lift right out of the hole. You'll have to unplug the connectors on the bottom as well.

Backup plan, you can lock the table down and just move it that way. Back those two screws out, and it will pull the turntable down tight to the cabinet for transport.

500C, iunno.

Nice piece though, I like that cabinet.

Yep the cabinet sold me on it. It's going to go in our dining room for dinner music. Love to play some music during dinner.

I'm going to lock the table down like you and Larry suggest. Thanks.

Is THAT A POLKA RECORD on the Turntable??????? The one I've got now came with one and Buglegirl still has it (I think!)

It's an 800c not a 500c. In the back along the sides of the 800c are two cleats that screw into the console from the top. The cleats are attached to the 800c by screws underneath. The cleats will come out with the unit. (Do me a favor please. Write down the serial # of the 800c (on the top of the chassis near the front (you'll see the BIRD and other spec's) and post it in the thread. This will help with my EXECUTIVE Database. Thanks

Continuing on...........Take out the screws. Pull the knobs off the 800c, and loosen and remove the two nuts holding the faceplate on to the unit. Disconnect all the wires in back, AFTER YOU'VE taken at least a 1/2 dozen pictures from multiple angles and have gotten all wires to the 800c. Once everything is disconnected slide the 800c OUT OF THE BACK! Installation is reverse of removal.

Just lock the turntable and tape down the tonearm. Easier that way and it won't contribute to the weight much. Lift up the turntable end and remove the feet, then Flip it on that side with the turntable on the bottom. Take off the remaining feet. Strap it down and haul a**. Then when you get it home make sure you've got 2-3 guys from the local H-S football or weight lifting team. Do NOT Flip it back down with the feet on it. Lay it flat and have 2 of them lift up one end and attach the feet. Then do the other end.

The Modern cabinet is about 50#'s less than an Italian Provincial. I yanked mine from the basement, around the house (up a hill on the side) to the trailer with a hand-truck and a couple blankets and straps. Then up 4 large Marble steips into a long narrow Townhouse in the city. FUN STUFF!

Pad the blade of the Hand truck with blanket or two coming all the way up the truck. The top will be in contact with the blankets. If you have a trailer, load it all in one piece and strap it down multiple directions. Once you get the 800c out, put the faceplate back on, using the nuts, and attaching the knobs. This goes in back seat facing FWD, and with a seat belt around it. The seat belt won't scratch the front panel, and will keep the probability of it flying around in a crash low.

I'll swap ya my '63 Italian Provincial Executive. It even has the correct AMPEX R2R in it. :D (Just kidding about the swap).

Larry

I'll check on the record and if it's Polka you could add a column in your spread sheet for executives found with polka on the platter. Lol.

I'm actually happy there isn't a reel to reel. My vinyl habit eats away at enough of my pocket money!

Haha I should have picked up on it having AM and that it was a 800-c. I saw the head phone jack and instantly thought 500. It seems there are more options for inputs on this 800-c than my 500-c, I'll have to compare.

Do the feet spin off or do they have a large flat head wood screw holding them on?

Maybe a stupid question but with the turntable in it is it safe to lay it upside down with the dolly on the trailer? If be worried bout the table working it's way loose because of the bouncing.

Thanks for the detailed write-up I really appreciate it.

The platter is held on to the spindle with a "C" or "E" clip. I don't see any problems as long as you crank down on those shipping screws tightly. We transported mine about 50 miles from south of DC to baltimore with no dis-assembly and on it's feet, and it punched a hole in the floor of my trailer. I-295 in DC is worse than some of the roads in cleveland near the waterfront (15 years ago). No damage to the Exec. But mine has straight legs vs. the canted legs on yours. might be better to get it in the trailer and set it on it's legs, strap it down tightly against a side. 4 guys lift and move in and out of trailer, and off and on to the handtruck carefully should be ok. You could do it with 2 but they better have good backs and have nicknames like BUBBA and MONGO! The whole thing full up weigh's about 250-275# and the 800c is gonna drop 35-40# off that. So the more the merrier.

ah, almost forgot a detail. The Type A-II has an inner and an outer platter. The outer one just sits there. Remove the rubber mat from under the little lip in the center, and the outer platter will just lift off. Remove the spindle too, it also just lifts out.

ah, almost forgot a detail. The Type A-II has an inner and an outer platter. The outer one just sits there. Remove the rubber mat from under the little lip in the center, and the outer platter will just lift off. Remove the spindle too, it also just lifts out.
Thanks. This was a big help. The platter was heavy enough to do damage.

IMG_1951.JPG IMG_1950.JPG @larryderouin heres the pic for your database. Looks like 37874H.

The feet couldn't be removed the whole bottom assembly was glued and screwed. We had to lift it and rotate it in the air to get it on its side. What a pita! Looks like I did pretty good. All original tubes I think. All marked Fisher and some West Germany others Great Britain.

The record was a Christmas album btw.

LOL! At least you won't be cooking Brat's with it!

That further supports the theory that 30000 series 800c's were installed in the '64 Executives and also standalones. My 63' Exec has 10382 or something close to that, and my standalone is a 36000 series IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom