Help needed with Squeezebox

bhamham

I sure could use some help with my Squeezebox Duet and SBv3 (non-wireless). I moved house and got a new internet provider. I hooked up my Duet and actually had it working for a week or so, then something happened - not sure what, but just can't get it to find my LM server now; same with the SBv3 even with ethernet cable straight to the router.

I've had this setup for about 8 or 9 yrs and when I've had network problems before I just reboot everything - the PC, router and SB unit and it syncs up and works. But I've been at this for about a month now and at my wit's end. I'm not the sharpest with PC/network stuff so there's that disadvantage.

Maybe it's time I take it up a notch and update my system IDK. I've got all my CDs (around 2400 albums) converted to FLAC files on a ext HD and have that hooked up to my LM server. I'm not an audio purist but there's probably a better, more modern way?

Anyway can anyone give me a hand? Or point me to somewhere to help troubleshoot my problem. Thanks!

Been fooling with this for the past couple of hours. Decided to hook up an old computer that I was using a couple of yrs ago and got the SB v3 working. Yea!!! Haven't tried the Duet yet but it's great to have my tunes playing again. Don't know what was wrong. Think I'll start reading and studying threads to see how I can upgrade/improve on what I've got.

I am glad you got the SB3 working.

I had both of the units that you have and eventually both of their wifi cards gave up the ghost. I have since moved on to a RPi and a Pogoplug running squeezelite (a squeezebox emulator). I also use a Chromecast Audio in my squeeze system.

The CCA is interesting because via a plugin it is seen by LMS as a squeezebox. The creator of the plugin has found a way to get around the CCA's limitation of not being able to play gapless. Make two changes in the settings and the CCA will play gapless. You can add your own DAC to the CCA by using the CCA's mini-toslink port which is a nice feature.

Hopefully you will get the Duet working too. Good luck!

I had a similar problem and I didn’t move a danged thing. All three of mine (two Touches and a Duet) stopped working, with LMS not found. On a whim I put LMS on an old laptop and all the SBs found that immediately.

But I needed this to run on the desktop with 500g HD, so I futzed with every damned setting I could find, reinstalled the LMS software, rebooted PC many times, reset everything back to factory settings, toggled windows firewall setting, etc. Still could not find the media files on the desktop PC. Finally after 6 hours of this I gave up and went to bed

The next day it all worked again, for no reason I could discern. ARRRGGGGG.

I know the day is coming when I transition off the Squeezeboxes, but there is still no affordable, hi res, turnkey solution that I’m aware of out there. Yeah, sure I probably get a Raspberry Pi to work, but I have a lot of other projects in the queue and don’t really want another one.

...I know the day is coming when I transition off the Squeezeboxes, but there is still no affordable, hi res, turnkey solution that I’m aware of out there. Yeah, sure I probably get a Raspberry Pi to work, but I have a lot of other projects in the queue and don’t really want another one.
These days setting up a RPi to be a squeezebox is a 30 minute project tops, especially if you use piCorePlayer. Just in case you have to...

These days setting up a RPi to be a squeezebox is a 30 minute project tops, especially if you use piCorePlayer. Just in case you have to...

And what hardware besides the RPi is needed? Are there instructions somewhere that aren’t imbedded in a 56 page thread?

And what hardware besides the RPi is needed? Are there instructions somewhere that aren’t imbedded in a 56 page thread?

I going to assume that you have LMS running on a computer somewhere on your network because you are already a squeezebox user. The hardware you will need is:
  1. The RPi
  2. A USB DAC or you could buy a "hat" for the RPi that has a DAC built-in to it.
Here are the instructions for piCorePlayer: https://www.picoreplayer.org/main_getting_started.shtml

No affiliation with piCorePlayer.

Last edited:
Ok I have a couple of USB DACs already.
I could give this a shot. Thanks!

I have owned a squeezebox radio for around 9 years now without any problems.

LMS has, over the years, resided on a WinXP desktop, desktop with Vortexbox, a Windows 8 computer, a Windows10 computer and as of last week, a Synology NAS.

One thing I always do is to set up the LMS machine with a fixed IP address. The other is to wire the LMS machine directly to the router.

Never had an issue with the radio being unable to find LMS.

So, the fixed IP address might be something to check.

RPi almost sent me crazy.

Maybe it's got easier since but it needed too much computer cleverness I don't have when I tried it.

Back
Top Bottom