MPB

Hello,

I have a new(ish) Pro-Ject Carbon turntable that has a very noisy motor. The motor is suspended, "shipping" screws have been removed, and it begins to make noise nearly immediately. Any advice is welcomed! It is so loud it is unusable. I have attached a .gif hoping it will allow audio so you can hear how loud it really is. Noise is coming from motor itself and not from speakers.

MPB

Attachments

• IMG-7414_gif.gif
    IMG-7414_gif.gif
    129.8 KB · Views: 44
When I owned a PDC, I had to rebuild the motor suspension and rebalance the motor to tame the noise.

The Pro-Ject carbon motor should have sorbethane grommets under the area where the set screws are. The screws should be in just enough to squeeze the grommets. If there are no screws or grommets the turntable,is not set up correctly.

Define "newish" is this one of the DC motor units, or one of the older AC units?

Also, what do you mean by immediately? It makes the noise as soon as the platter starts turning, as soon as the arm goes over the record, or as soon as the needle hits the groove?

Does the noise come from your speakers or the 'table directly?

Couldn't hear anything in your GIF-

I removed two "shipping" screws and there are four remaining. Here is an image.

Attachments

• 5AB23475-9370-47F5-A114-354793D5F743.JPG
    5AB23475-9370-47F5-A114-354793D5F743.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 5AB23475-9370-47F5-A114-354793D5F743.JPG
    5AB23475-9370-47F5-A114-354793D5F743.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 69E77CA3-70B3-404C-82CB-1796E1C1AFF7.JPG
    69E77CA3-70B3-404C-82CB-1796E1C1AFF7.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 144
A quick AK Google research would of revealed a very long history of a significant number of Project turntables exhibiting motor noise. A few owners have managed to somewhat tame the motor noise without any assistance from Project other than Projects advice to purchase their costly upgrades which don't appear to help. As Illini suggested if the Project is newish the best cure is to return asap to the seller for a refund.

I believe it is one of the newer DC models. It does have what I believe to be a wall wart that provides power. The noise comes directly from the motor nearly immediately, when I flip the switch to power it on the noise begins. With the lid open, closed, it is churning coming directly from the motor.

A quick AK Google research would of revealed a very long history of a significant number of Project turntables exhibiting motor noise. A few owners have managed to somewhat tame the motor noise without any assistance from Project other than Projects advice to purchase their costly upgrades which don't appear to help. As Illini suggested if the Project is newish the best cure is to return asap to the seller for a refund.

Since I bought this machine from a friend, is there a motor I can purchase a replace it with?

I believe it is one of the newer DC models. It does have what I believe to be a wall wart that provides power. The noise comes directly from the motor nearly immediately, when I flip the switch to power it on the noise begins. With the lid open, closed, it is churning coming directly from the motor.

Sure thing- they all have a wall wart. The question is if it's an AC or DC power supply.

Despite majick47's assertion, there are no "costly upgrades" to fix a noisy motor. The only fix is a replacement motor if that's indeed the problem.

IMO, you should have those shipping screws in place...at least loosely, just to hold the motor in place.

Last question- was it making this noise at your friend's place?

Thanks for your quick response, i'll try and answer your question line by line!

How exactly can I determine if it is AC or DC power supply?

I will replace the motor though I hope there is an affordable alternative.

I have gone back and forth with those screws, when they are installed the motor seemed to shake the entire housing of the TT. When they are removed, the motor itself seems to be the one making the racket. I can even remove the belt so the motor is spinning freely and it is noisy.

The turntable did just undergo surgery for a bad solder on one of the wires in the cavity of the tonearm. Before that it was simply playing out of one channel!

You guys are on the ball, I appreciate all the help. I have attached what appears to yield AC.

Attachments

• C0C353BF-969B-40C8-9050-BD98BFEC1F3D.JPG
    C0C353BF-969B-40C8-9050-BD98BFEC1F3D.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 35
Try to return it. I started this journey with a pro-ject one year ago, starting from debut and finishing with xpression III passing through the update motor suspention kit. All are noisy. I solved selling it and buying a vintage one. Try to return it or sell it and look for a good vintage one or other new then pro-ject...the net is full of this kind of thread about this issue..is a "feature"

MPB if you replace the motor it may change nothing other than more money down the drain. Like many others you just took the Project challenge to fix the built in from the factory motor noise and lost.

I removed two "shipping" screws and there are four remaining. Here is an image.
The Sorbothane grommets are missing under the tabs of the motor . And the screws should be in the holes on the tabs of the motor tightened just enough to depress the grommets .

You guys are on the ball, I appreciate all the help. I have attached what appears to yield AC.
Standard AC adapter that comes with the project turntable . Nothing is out of whack except not having screws on the motor tab with Sorbothane grommets under them .

Back
Top Bottom