help out a NOOB please

stereoud7

i just bought a pair of B&W N804 speakers and am terrified that i mad e a mistake.

I had a pair of infinity kappa 9s that i use for years and loved for years but finally died on me. I was running them with bryston 7bst amps, a aprasound 2100 pre and a ps audio nuwave DAC.

i was going to order a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and use it for a pre amp and DAC. i only listen to music streamed from my computer so i dont need more then a couple inputs. I was hoping this would upgrade my DAC and also get rid of the 2100 which is the obvious week link in my system.

I plan on getting audioquest rocket 44 speaker cables (to replace the type 2 i have now) and black mamba RCA interconnects going to be OK or should i get better cables?

I have some low end pangea power cables for my separates and a furman power conditioner for everything to plug into.

is this going to work with the 804s is the real question. from what i have read they need really good electronics behind them and not just that but the right electronics.

Sounds more like worry than disappointment at this point...until you hook up those new speakers. I wonder if there's anyone else here at AK who has a pair. Search for the name in the Speakers forum and see what you find!

I do not think there is anything wrong with your electronics. Bryston makes great amps and Benchmark make good DACs. Personally, I prefer a preamplifier preferably one with tubes like an ARC or CJ.

And yes, we'd like to know what happened to the Kappa 9s.

Last edited:
Third that on where's the Kappa's? I've had 7.1i's since new and never felt the need/urge/want to go further.

thank you all for welcoming me to the forum.

I had a massive power surge at my house. Blew up the air conditioner and half of my stereo and some other random things. I took the speakers in to get fixed and the technician was able to get the kappas working again but after doing a little research he thought they were going fail again and again. said they could last a day or 2 years. i may keep them in the corner of my listening room and hook them up from time to time or i may part them out. i haven't decided. also the control board on the PS audio DAC got fried. The Brystons were undamaged other than blown fuses. (thank God!)

i guess it is more worry at this point. I did go to the only real audio shop left in the Detroit area, (sad they are all going out of business), and listened to a pair of B&W CM10s. out of my price range but i wanted to see what was out there. I loved them. From what i have read the N804s should be better if run properly, but sound shrilly and cause listening fatigue if not. The CM10s went for 4k new. I spent a bit <2k on the 804s.

I'm sad to be moving on from the kappa 9s in some ways but they did have their flaws. the bass didn't go very low and what it did do was very muddy. basically just was like thump! thump! thump!. not musical, sounded like a crappy speaker box in the back of some kids car. But the mids and highs - just amazing. when they played it sounded like angels singing :)

Doesn't P.S audio make surge protectors? Funny this should come up as I was looking at a couple Richard Gray's power conditioners today to help prevent what you went through. I don't know about your speakers but now might be a good time to invest in some type of insurance against future power surges. Pure power 1050 if you can find one. Also if you own the home maybe a direct surge protector at the box outside your home. I know my home is blacked out at least 3 times a year and I cringe every time the power comes back on.
Good luck & let's see those 804's!

I wonder what it was inside those speakers that the technician thought would fail again. Hmm. Anyway sorry to hear of your troubles. I feel a lot better having an APC power conditioner in front of my main system. Well worth the $50 CL price.

The Benchmark functioning as a DAC, to me at least, feels like it will limit you if you ever want more sources down the road. I've owned a boat load of Bryston gear; their DACs are great. The BDA-1 can be had for very little money and is an excellent performer. I have owned both the BDA-1 & 2. You've got a great pair of amps, I would look at pairing them up with either an ARC tube preamp or a Bryston preamp. Don't get stressed out over cables; IMO they are the last thing to worry about. Room treatments should be done right out the gate.

I don't mean to second guess your technician, but if he fixed your Kappas there shouldn't be a problem with them. Yes they're getting old, but anything old treated with care will outlast you.

Now if you like your new speakers better then go ahead and store the Kappas.

I can't help but your kappas like said above with proper care should outlast all of us. I don't quite get that one. I wish you lived closer....:).

Sounds like your pretty much good to go with your new speakers.

i pick up the 804s Sunday and i'll hook everything up and let you all know how it sounds. I'll also test the kappas. The technician did not sell me the 804s.

Back
Top Bottom