Help please AU 9500 repair cost

ChrisAZ

Hello, I'm fairly new to the hobby and could use some help. I recently won an AU 9500 on eBay for $470+ $70 shipping, but the unit arrived damaged and I could use some help replacing some parts and figuring out what to file the claim for with UPS. The cover is significantly crushed in and I think will need to be replaced, but it's a custom made screen cover. The backplate was slightly dented where the ground wire connection got pushed in and the main chassis received a dent. The amplifier is functioning so far and I don't want to return it if I don't have to but I'm not sure how to file the claim with UPS. I can't find any replacement parts on eBay and the current AU 9500's listed are going for $600 to $1600. The amp was insured for $500, my question is how much do I ask UPS to cover for damages? I would like to be fair without getting screwed.

Last edited:
It may not be as easy as that.
No one makes these anymore so you're at the mercy of shipper.
You might be better off starting from scratch.
I'm sorry it happened to you.

You will not find spare parts easily, it will probably be impossible (this model is highly appreciated and everyone maintains it), you can only consider repairing the blows in a metal workshop or by yourself. I would claim the full amount, since the 9500 will not be the same again ...

I'm not sure I understand, why would I be at the mercy of the shipper? Wouldn't UPS be responsible for covering MY repair expenses?

The shipper is in a better position to initiate the claim. But from experience, unless the box itself shows damage from being dropped, and you can take pictures to show this, UPS will usually not accept the claim, and say the unit should heve been packed better. But if you have UPS or Fedex pack the unit and ship the unit, you are usually covered, as you can show pictures of the unit before it went out, and others when it arrived.
Patience, on Ebay and AK can many times get you the parts you need. I have had units totally trashed in shipping, that I was able to restore.
One SX-1050 had broken glass dial panel in front. Front cover bent and distorted, Wood cover destroyed, nylon circuit board standoffs all shattered, warped chassis, 2 broken controls for Bass, broken nutplate extensions that secure the front cover, and a few cracked in circuit boards. Over time, I was able to find all the replacement parts I had needed typically on ebay (even the nylon circuit board standoffs. )
As far a filing a claim, I would think if the unit is working, it would be unfair to look for $500. But asking $250 to $300 would be fair assuming the replacement cover wont be cheap an the expens for tech labor wont be cheap either.
Good luck

Take it to a body shop and get an estimate on repair and paint - claim that much - (up to the $500). Auto body shops will do this for you better than most people can. Even if your claim gets denied you still get a great repair job for the money IMHO.

I really feel for you as I think very highly of the 9500.

I get some of my gear sent from overseas and always tell the seller, I need it double boxed for a safe arrival.
If your seller did not box it correctly then he is liable. Most transport companies state that any heavy electronic equipment needs to be double boxed.

I'd be going for a full refund. You want one that's original and not having a re-painted top cover. You paid good money for it.

Hasn't eBay got a full money back guarantee including postage?

Last edited:
Notify the seller immediately of the damage--including pictures of the box and the damage to the unit. As mentioned in a previous post, it is the seller that needs to file the claim with UPS. This guarantees you some level of recourse (either through ebay--as a partial or full refund from the seller, or an insurance claim through UPS for up to the $500 insured value). As also mentioned, the first thing UPS is going to want are photos of the damage and packaging so that they can attempt to deny the claim based on poor/improper packaging. DO NOT mention that it is a vintage or collectible unit, as they are getting "squirrely" about covering those kind of claims--go with it is just an electronic device with an insured value of $500.

Notify the seller immediately of the damage--including pictures of the box and the damage to the unit. As mentioned in a previous post, it is the seller that needs to file the claim with UPS. This guarantees you some level of recourse (either through ebay--as a partial or full refund from the seller, or an insurance claim through UPS for up to the $500 insured value). As also mentioned, the first thing UPS is going to want are photos of the damage and packaging so that they can attempt to deny the claim based on poor/improper packaging. DO NOT mention that it is a vintage or collectible unit, as they are getting "squirrely" about covering those kind of claims--go with it is just an electronic device with an insured value of $500.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far.

I sent UPS lots of detailed photos showing how the unit was packed as well as the damage to the box and the unit inside. They confirmed this morning that the claim goes to the shipper at this point and it will be up to them to tell me what the result is. I sent the shipper a message and am just awaiting their response. It seems clear to me that UPS is the one at fault here but I'm no expert, the unit was wrapped in bubble wrap and double boxed.
Is it necessary to report anything to eBay at this point?

Probably a good idea.
Ebay generally suggests you attempt to work it out with seller (or buyer if you're the seller)
before they get involved.
Its not a bad idea to have it on record if you feel the need for them to intervene

The shipper has to file the claim because they bought the shipping and have the contract with UPS. You as the buyer don't have a contract with UPS.

- Pete

The shipper said that UPS told him he didn't box the receiver correctly and denied the claim. He is offering a partial refund of $150. Does that sound reasonable to you guys?

And he gets the rest of your money AND the $500 from UPS?

I would not be happy with a mangled amp and $150 back.

Rob
He said that UPS denied the claim for $500. If that's the case he won't get anything back.

I guess the question is, would you pay $320 + $70 shipping for an AU-9500 that works fine but has a dented case?

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom