Help reviving M-80

index.php
Were these two your bias test points?

Yes on the first, no on the 2nd. My M-85 SM says test between R157/R159 for the right channel your leads are attached to R153/R157.

Also, I was wrong on the failed transistor, it was TR125, and I just noticed that TR126 is dead, too.

Last edited:
Yes on the first, no on the 2nd. My M-85 SM says test between R157/R159 for the right channel your leads are attached to R153/R157.
The only thing you have to remember is it is the front pair of emitter resistors for each channel. M-60/65/80/85. That photo I posted earlier was and M-65.

Did some sleuthing this morning. I found 2 33ohm and 1 220ohm resistors on each of the two transistor connector boards on the top. Are those the ones in question? One of the 33ohm guys is open, the rest test out fine. I also went through all the vertically installed resistors on all boards and, while I didn't necessarily test for value, none are shorted or open (I tested in circuit). It makes sense that the failed transistor in the left channel and the failed resistor in the right may be what I'm dealing with.

Found one more casualty, it's one of the transistors on the main board with a resistor attached to the base. The resistor is good but the transistor is completely shorted. This is marked A1352 which is a PNP. Can I replace this with a higher rated PNP transistor, such as a MJE15033G (I have those in stock)? I assume not, but I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
This is marked A1352 which is a PNP. Can I replace this with a higher rated PNP transistor, such as a MJE15033G (I have those in stock)? I assume not, but I thought I'd ask.
Those TO-220 would be a pain in the ass. Twisting leads around and way overkill.

These are easier to deal with...
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/KSA1381-1301132.pdf

B+D Enterprise may even have the real thing 2SA1352.

Yep, I went ahead and ordered those equivalents and the resistors today from Mouser. I'll keep you posted.

Well, crap. All buttoned up and now I have a short to ground throughout most of the boards. Sigh.

Have you used a DBT for the first power up? I would also install dummy resistors instead the power transistors to check voltages.

Back
Top Bottom