HELP!! Signal Strength Meter Not Working!!

MarSanZ

Simple Pleasures...
The signal strength meter is not working on my 2226B, stations are coming in loud and clear! The FM Tuning Meter is working.

Any suggestions, answers or known issues?

Thanks.

See if it's getting voltage to the meter, if so the meters either stuck or bad. If there's no voltage coming to the meter then you have a problem on the tuner board or the adjustment is WAY outta whack.

Ron

Stuck Meter

How do I check the meter? The appropriate question is, what type of tester do I need? Is there a special multimeter I should use? Once I purchase it, how do I do the test? What should the setting on the multimeter be? I am sorry for asking so many questions, trying to become a DIYer.

Thanks.

approse said:
See if it's getting voltage to the meter, if so the meters either stuck or bad. If there's no voltage coming to the meter then you have a problem on the tuner board or the adjustment is WAY outta whack.

Ron

I'm betting it's just a broken wire/connection. Those hardly ever go bad. (That's what the farmer said when his chicken died - "That never happened before!")

DH

The meter is somewhat working in the AM mode, it will jump to the middle and then settle near the 1 indicator. Same thing happens in the FM mode minus the jump. Both AM/FM stations come in clear. I used Deoxit on all the controls last night and the static is gone. Both channels are clear. I reflowed the solder connections on both meters, this is when it finally moved. I also did this trick on the FM antenna connections in the back and where they connect to the prongs on FM circuit board...no luck.

What next guys? What type of multimeter should I purchase?

Thanks.

Do NOT use an ohmmeter to measure across the meter. The ohmmeter current could injure the meter movement.

Measure the voltage across the meter. As this increases, the deflection of the meter should increase correspondingly.

Sometimes the tiny bearings that the meter movement swings on get sticky. One cause of this is the lamps that backlight the meters. The lamp generates heat. The heat warps the plastic housing on the meter movement. The warped housing puts stresses on the movement. This deforms the movement ever so slightly -- and this leads to a sticky movement.

The meter draws very little current, so, if the selector switch has been deoxed, it's unlikely that the switch contacts are damaged.

On most Marantz receivers, meter deflection is adjustable via a trimpot located on the AM/FM tuner pcb. Occasionally the trimpots get touchy or open. You can determine which trimpot is the right one by monitoring the voltage to the various trimpots while tuning into and out of a station. The right trimpot will show a rise in voltage as you tune in and a drop as you tune away.

A majority of faulty trimpots can be repaired by deox treatment.

Often the meter drive circuit employs a capacitor as an integrator. Put simply, the capacitor makes the movement respond only to slow changes in signal strength. If this capacitor goes bad, it can cause misoperation of the meter drive circuit.

Hope this information helps.

Fred Longworth

where is the AM/FM tuner pcb? im having the same issue, but mine isnt getting any voltage to the signal strength meter. however the tuning meeter is working fine.

it works fine on AM, but doesnt work at all on FM.

The meter on my 2250B is dead also, it was intermitent at first. With mine I think it was an internal connection within the meter. if I wiggled the tabs it would work. I gave up on it and put the receiver out with the trash.

Nooooo don't say that, that unit was worth at least $80-100 with just a faulty meter. A $30 fix at most. Well I guess the garbage man got a late Christmas present. :)

The meter on my 2250B is dead also, it was intermitent at first. With mine I think it was an internal connection within the meter. if I wiggled the tabs it would work. I gave up on it and put the receiver out with the trash.

You're kidding, right?
You just threw a $100 bill (or more) in the trash.

No I didn't throw it away but I knew I'd get some interesting responses. I've rotated it back into service. Other than the irritating meter it is very nice and fully functional.

where is the AM/FM tuner pcb? im having the same issue, but mine isnt getting any voltage to the signal strength meter. however the tuning meeter is working fine.

it works fine on AM, but doesnt work at all on FM.

any suggestions?

Zombie thread alert...

12-houses-that-will-get-you-through-a-zombie-apoc-1-30966-1338397830-10_big.jpg

:D

Back
Top Bottom