HELP: Stuck headshell- vintage Ortofon headshell

Descartridge

Stereos been berry, berry good to me!
Please see the images below.
The headshell is stuck to the vintage Ortofon tonearm.
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the stuck headshell?
The tonearm and turntable (a Thorens TD-124) may not have been used for decades.
All of the other machine screws inside the turntable were torqued by a gorilla. And the same may be true for the tonearm collar, which has been backed off.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PA221853.jpg
    PA221853.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 63
  • PA221854.jpg
    PA221854.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 51
Are you saying that the collar that holds the headshell won't turn or is it that the collar turns and the Headshell won't pull out?

If it's either of the things i asked why not try a tiny amont of say WD40 or some other lubricant and let it sit for awhile and then try it

Apply some heat with a hair dryer. Are all the parts aluminum? If yes, there might be some bonding that has occurred with time; for aluminum you can use diluted ammonia to break the bond (this a method used for stuck vintage aluminum bicycle components).

It looks like the headshell is cocked slightly downward which is likely causing the jam. I don't know what to recommend to straighten it out except to be very careful, but doing so might pop it loose. The hair dryer trick sounds like a good start.

I understand your concern, you don't want to knacker that baby up. It does look like it's tipped down slightly although that may be an illusion because of the loose collar. Maybe a couple of small plastic or wooden wedges between the collar and the bayonet mount would work (a second person to hold the headshell might be a good idea).

Yes, those Thorens screws can be a bear to break free after half a century.

Edit: I wonder if the headshell pins have corroded/bonded themselves to the tonearm pins? Yikes!

Last edited:
Yahoo it is off!

After trying:
  1. a Harbor Freight heat gun
  2. WD40 and
  3. alcohol
I was able to carefully pry it off, using a razor knife around the perimeter of the headshell and tonearm.
:banana:
Yes it appears that the a few segments of the black enamel were fused and were chipped- an easy fix.

A thread featuring this deck and another TD124 with custom plinths will follow.

I THANK Stanton681eees, Leestereo, Coastsider and 12AX7 for your encouragement and wish you good Karma.

when you get that table done I sure would love to hear it. Only problem is your in Fla and I'm in Ohio Zero MONEY FOR TRAVEL. I'm glad I was able to help.

nice time and perfect weather

when you get that table done I sure would love to hear it. Only problem is your in Fla and I'm in Ohio Zero MONEY FOR TRAVEL. I'm glad I was able to help.

It's a nice time and perfect weather (81 degrees F and 54% RH) for a vacation?

It's a nice time and perfect weather (81 degrees F and 54% RH) for a vacation?

It's nice here as well sunny 70 and the leaves are in there splendid colors part of why i love living in North east Ohio. I did live once in FLa in New Port Richey back in the early 70's

Back
Top Bottom