Help to run JRiver from laptop to AppleTV3 to Anthem D1 receiver

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by gentlejax, Jan 7, 2019.

1. gentlejax

gentlejax AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am only wanting to do this for listening to my lossless audio files on my external hard drive.

I have Jriver on my laptop. laptop has USB port and HDMI port

AppleTV 3 is in the mix because the Anthem D1 has no HDMI port only digital optical toslink input and single XLR digital input.

so I am trying to run the music from laptop to the appletv3 optical output to the anthem D1 digital input.

not sure what I need to do first. this is just for music but I am trying to do it without going from analogue to digital and then back to analogue again.

less back and forth converting.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

There is no way to feed a direct signal to ATV from laptop, you're only option wtihout using a DAC is streaming to ATV (which i doubt Jriver does, but don't know cause i dont' use it), which then you can have the audio go thru your Anthem, but you'll lose some quality streaming, whether you can notice or not....

Other option is get a DAC with USB and connect the laptop to DAC, then you can connect the DAC to Anthem via RCA analog

3. gentlejax

so appletv has no inputs just outputs .that would have been nice..

I am new to JRiver so I dont know that answer either hence the reason I am here.

They do make a USB to XLR cable but I am not sure it will work. USB from laptop XLR end to digital input on Anthem

4. gentlejax

I didnt really want to bluetooth the audio so I just ordered a HDMI to toslink converter so no appleTV Needed.