[help] Trouble with Revox B215 cassette

Thanks for an explanation, Alex! So while it is an excellent audio op amp, it is indeed not particularly completely compatible for non audio applications. I knew it consumed more power than a 4558, so i though it might be related to that. I was thinking of trying a TL-072 to see how that reacted, as it is less static sensitive than a 4558. Any thoughts on that?

I need to go through and check all the common ICs, now. (BTW, while it's the same for the B215, this happened to be on the second B710MKII I'm restoring). Like I mentioned, I suspect this deck must have taken some kind of static hit, as I had a few gates on multiple ICs that just didn't work. One I could understand, but 4 so far! And all different chips, too. Could have been a PS failure that surged, too I guess. The last one I found (14070) was really odd, as it is on the eq board, and switches, based on the IEC switches or manually, whether Type I, II, or IV is switched in for bias and eq. It would not switch to Type I! The proper inputs were on the gates, but it never switched in! Of course, 14070 is not a chip I normally have lying around, so another Mouser order (with a few other items, just to make it worth the shipping) to get a few.

I THINK I'm finally done with this deck. I need to play it for a while to be sure, and then I think I'll be selling it, since I have the other B710MKII, and the 2 B215s. I had originally though it would be a parts deck, but we all know how that goes. I'll never get my money or time out of it, but my wife is getting a bit upset at all the decks, and it's really hard to justify duplicates. I know YOU have a somewhat similar situation, too.

Last edited:
I have got a fantastic B710 MK2. Now completely restored by myself! WoW!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom